Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

Compassion

collywobles 10 3.4k 9 United Kingdom
6 Apr 2014 3:29PM
I see that Mr Cameron has shown more compassion for a Minister for fiddling her expenses of 40K+ than he did of a young Asian girl trying to get an education, shame on you Mr Cameron..........

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

brian1208 e2
11 10.6k 12 United Kingdom
6 Apr 2014 3:41PM
Hmm, not quite sure they are comparable cases , are you suggesting that Miller should be deported to the Maldives because she doesn't have British nationality? Wink
collywobles 10 3.4k 9 United Kingdom
6 Apr 2014 3:50PM
That might be an answer, could save us more fiddled expenses for the future.
brian1208 e2
6 Apr 2014 4:10PM
hmm, I'm not sure it would be fair to expect the Maldives to have to take all the members of the Houses of Parliament and the Lords though, as they are all at it Grin

(as indeed are most of the UK workforce / employers if they get the chance!)
saltireblue e2
4 4.3k 26 Norway
6 Apr 2014 4:26PM

Quote:Hmm, I'm not sure it would be fair to expect the Maldives to have to take all the members of the Houses of Parliament and the Lords though, as they are all at it Grin

A rather sweeping condemnation.
Graysta 9 1.1k England
6 Apr 2014 5:19PM

Quote:A rather sweeping condemnation.

Probably a fact though.
Hallie 1 166 United Kingdom
6 Apr 2014 5:27PM

Quote:A rather sweeping condemnation.

Probably a fact though.

Well, there's 1% that are getting richer, not sure its applicable to the rest of us Wink
brian1208 e2
6 Apr 2014 6:54PM

Quote:Hmm, I'm not sure it would be fair to expect the Maldives to have to take all the members of the Houses of Parliament and the Lords though, as they are all at it Grin

I can only tell it as I see it (doesn't make me right of course) but every single person I've met from the "lowest" to "highest" in business and politics has, whenever the chance was there, padded their expenses or tried for some other angle to get a few extra benefits (and I have met an awful lot in my work and travels). The UK is pretty benign compared to the rest of the world however and our rules on bribery and corruption are some of the strongest in the world. If I'm honest I do get pissed off with things like the current Maria Miller nonsense, most of the noise being made by those she was trying to curtail in their own wrong doing and the rest being totally hypocritical and playing for personal / political benefit or self-satisfaction (like I say, my views don't make me right but I have a pretty low opinion of humanity as expressed by this sort of crap)
brian1208 e2
6 Apr 2014 7:02PM
This is the sort of crap that makes me so jaundiced in my view of people at large

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10151934077271739&set=gm.644031055670380&type=1&theater
Snapster e2
2 133 England
6 Apr 2014 8:23PM

+1

If I fiddled my expenses I would be sacked for gross misconduct, as would most employees.
6 Apr 2014 8:54PM

+1

If I fiddled my expenses I would be sacked for gross misconduct, as would most employees.

Absolutely. Most of the 'lower' working population don't have an opportunity to fiddle expenses because they don't get any. This is not to dispute some would given the opportunity and I expect there are many who look at their money being used to eg. pay bankers vast bonuses for failing, who are wondering what is really going on.

As brian 1208 states its easy to lose faith in humanity but I often wonder how much of a divisive and unregulated economic system contributes to that. The idea that it controls or runs itself is nonsense. Governments make decisions, its unfortunate that some of those in government choose to contribute to their own pockets as well as those of their corporate 'interests'. Until the political class are held to account it will continue. That it would seem depends on us.

But hey, we always have X Factor Wink
Normanr 36 England
6 Apr 2014 8:56PM
Back to the original post, the girl was an immigrant who shouldn't have been here. Irrespective of her personal ambition she had been denied the right to stay. If the press are to be believed, their reason for asylum was "an abusive family member in her own country". What nonsense that this should be considered a right and proper reason fro granting asylum. Cameron and the government are right to deport her.
6 Apr 2014 10:04PM

Quote:Back to the original post, the girl was an immigrant who shouldn't have been here. Irrespective of her personal ambition she had been denied the right to stay. If the press are to be believed, their reason for asylum was "an abusive family member in her own country". What nonsense that this should be considered a right and proper reason fro granting asylum. Cameron and the government are right to deport her.

Thats half of it, the other was about a MP abusing position. Any comment?
lobsterboy e2
11 14.2k 13 United Kingdom
6 Apr 2014 10:21PM

Quote:This is the sort of crap that makes me so jaundiced in my view of people at large

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10151934077271739&set=gm.644031055670380&type=1&theater

Sorry Brian, whats wrong with it? Is that not her voting record ? Is she minister for equality? has she not been caught fiddling her expenses?
personally I don't know the answer to any of those questions, just wondering what makes it "crap" ?
brian1208 e2
6 Apr 2014 11:32PM

Quote:Now here's an idea Corrupt Bankers can we add Corrupt Politicians to the list for the firing squads.

will do for starters

The pasting the word "Thief" across the face of someone who was cleared of fraudulent claims, if this is the level of political debate that is considered acceptable these days I'm clearly too old for our modern world

I found this interesting too, from the "Grauniad"

Quote:Maria Miller expenses scandal: failure to show remorse may seal MP's fate

It may be a lack of humility rather than her 90,000 expenses claim that pushes the culture secretary out of the door

So, we couldn't get her for fraudulent claims so we'll have a go at her for not kowtowing to the parliamentary committee (I think one phrase I saw used was here "Legalistic approach" - when they were accusing her of fraud it seems perfectly right to me to be "Legalistic")

One big problem I see more and more is that the standards of acceptable behaviour now depend more on which part you believe in than any rational comparable basis of judgement

As I say, I'm too old for this nonsense Sad

(at least I'm consistent, I despise the lot of them from which ever party and I despise the so called Political Commentators even more)

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.