Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Compatabilty Nikon D800 and Metz 45CL-4

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    glenys
    glenys  7 United Kingdom
    13 Feb 2013 - 12:23 PM

Hi

I am having problems with using the Metz 45CL-4 with my D800 at the moment.

The flash is intermittant, and sometimes over and under-flashes (when it does flash).

I have tried various flash leads to see if that was the problem. I have used also various flash attachments from the hot shoe as well as plugging into the dedicated sinc on the camera.

I was told that instead of using the automatic settings on the top dial, I should use the "M" "M1/2" and "M1/4" (red) numbers instead and adjust the f/numbers on the camera till I get an acceptable image. However I feel that after years of trusting the flash on automatic with a D200 and having no problems I shouldn't have to do this. That however only address the under and over flashing, and what I really need to know is how to get the flash to fire every time in the first place!

Also I have had the opprtunity to use both 45CT-4 digital and analogue flashes - both giving the same problem.

Does anyone have a clue if there is a compatability problem. I have search the web a while ago, but not sure if I am using the correct words when I google to get the result I needSmile

I hope this problem can be sorted cheaply, as I am getting the urge to ditch the D800 and go back to the D200, as I cannot afford a new flash at the moment.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    13 Feb 2013 - 12:23 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

scottishphototours

Look up the uk distributor of Metz and call them to check compatability.

I personally don't think they are compatable as the trigger voltages on the Metz is quite high. You may also have fried the 800's flash circuit which is causing your problem. Repairing the camera will cost around 100.

scottishphototours

Intro2020 are distributors for Metz in uk.

KNS
    KNS  5106 forum posts United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
    13 Feb 2013 - 12:54 PM

Read here >>>>>> http://www.metzflash.co.uk/pages/FAQ.html - with kit as expensive as thr D800. I would be inclined to emal them directly and check....

Last Modified By KNS at 13 Feb 2013 - 12:56 PM
    Newdevonian
    13 Feb 2013 - 1:02 PM

Whenever I have purchased a new Nikon body (not that often over the last 16 years, eg F90x, D100 & D7000) I have purchased the dedicated Nikon flash to go with it. It might sound daft, but the wrong flash screwed my Canon before that, so never again.

LenShepherd
    LenShepherd e2 Member 62489 forum postsLenShepherd vcard United Kingdom
    17 Feb 2013 - 10:07 PM

Page 386 of the D800 instructors say applying negative voltage or more than 250 V to the hot shoe could damage the circuitry.
    You need to ask Metz if this flash is safe on a D800, and how to get it to work every time, if it can, on your camera.
    Nikon suggest talking to them about Nikon flash units not listed by Nikon as compatible.
    Your problems indicate but does not confirm this flash is not compatible with a D800. If it is compatible setting auto for the same aperture on the flash and on the camera should give you a decent basic exposure.

keithh
    keithh e2 Member 1023094 forum postskeithh vcard Wallis and Futuna33 Constructive Critique Points
    17 Feb 2013 - 10:34 PM

The 45cl-4 was designed in the digital era and is a current Metz product which will be compatible with the D800.

scottishphototours

Glenys,

See that link that KNS put up - read that - it says you need an SCA adaptor between your flash and the D800...

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.