Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

Compatibility Issue

webberi 1 2 United Kingdom
14 Feb 2013 1:03PM
Not sure whether my last post was received.

I am trying to run Remote Capture and Zoom Browser via Windows 7, my Camera is a Canon EOS 300D.

The Remote Capture Programme will not recognise the camera.
Zoom Browser will not recognise the Camera, so will not download or upload to the CF Card

I assume that all i have to do is connect the remote socket on the camera to a USB port on the Laptop, i am doing this with a new cable purchased from Astronomiser - AST300USB6M

I assume that Zoom Browser works via the Digital Port on the camera and again connects to a USB port on the Laptop.

Any advise would be appreciated, is this a compatibility issue, is there a work around or updated programmes/drivers to obtain the same functions.

Apologies if this has been repeated.Smile

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

ikett 4 372 England
14 Feb 2013 1:28PM
I think you just use the USB socket on the camera not the remote socket which is for a remote/cable shutter release.
blastedkane 9 66 2
14 Feb 2013 2:22PM
I know when connecting my 40D to a netbook for remote capture and live viewing I use the USB port on both the netbook and the camera. the remote socket is for a remote control accessory
MikeA 10 1.2k England
14 Feb 2013 6:54PM
Same problem with Canon 5D go back to XP is the easy way. There is a "simulation" programme out there somewhere for use with Wind7 but not sure where it is.
colin beeley e2
12 1.1k 10 England
14 Feb 2013 7:45PM
i think all you need to do is look in the camera manual.
MikeA 10 1.2k England
14 Feb 2013 7:55PM

Quote:I think all you need to do is look in the camera manual.

Where in the manual ?
There are no Windows 7 drivers for older canon cameras.
strawman 11 22.0k 16 United Kingdom
14 Feb 2013 11:37PM
When I had a 300D I found it so slow to respond I did not find connecting it to a PC was a worthwhile experience. It was much better getting a card reader and downloading images that way. From memory the card reader downloaded a memory card about 10x faster than the camera. Also as the 300D lacked liveview I never found much of a benefit of connecting it and using live capture.

If you want to persevere, from memory the 300D had a setting in its menu to alter how it connects to a computer. Try altering that as I think in one of the two modes it is very much a memory card reader emulation mode that conforms to a windows standard. Have a look at your manual.

Also check the cable it should be a standard USB cable. Does the camera screen say PC mode or equivalent? It could be a cable issue. I tried to find your cable on their web site can you give a link. The Cable should look like this If it does not have you fitted a shutter release cable?
14 Feb 2013 11:51PM
Looking at the part number is it a 6M USB cable, then it is possible that is too long for USB1.

I found this on the Canon web site.

It implies EOS utility will load 300D images to a windows 7 machine. So you need to run the EOS utilities updates on your computer. The original solution disk with the camera will be a long way out of date.

Now you need to be able to add EOS utility. So either borrow the CD from someone with a newer canon camera or do what this web site says. EOS utility is for newer canon cameras but it looks like they added the old cameras as well.
MikeA 10 1.2k England
15 Feb 2013 9:42AM

Quote:When I had a 300D I found it so slow to respond I did not find connecting it to a PC was a worthwhile experience. It was much better getting a card reader and downloading images that way. From memory the card reader downloaded a memory card about 10x faster than the camera. Also as the 300D lacked liveview I never found much of a benefit of connecting it and using live capture.

If you want to persevere, from memory the 300D had a setting in its menu to alter how it connects to a computer. Try altering that as I think in one of the two modes it is very much a memory card reader emulation mode that conforms to a windows standard. Have a look at your manual.

Also check the cable it should be a standard USB cable. Does the camera screen say PC mode or equivalent? It could be a cable issue. I tried to find your cable on their web site can you give a link. The Cable should look like this If it does not have you fitted a shutter release cable?

The question was about "The Remote Capture Programme will not recognise the camera." Unfortunately a card reader will not help with that problem.
15 Feb 2013 9:54AM
Thank you for all the information, my initial issue was that i wanted to run the Remote Capture Programme. To do this, do i need to connect via the shutter release cable, or the digital socket. As i stated, i do not have the EOS Digital Solution Disk (ver 6.1) does anyone know where i can download/obtain an original copy.
MikeA 10 1.2k England
15 Feb 2013 10:54AM
15 Feb 2013 1:16PM
Hi you need to connect via the digital socket, it is a USB port and a fairly standard cable. I linked to an example. I you have Windows 7 on your computer you need to move onto EOS Utility, I gave you instructions on how to download that. EOS utlity should allow you to work the camera from a PC. I do not think you need a shutter release cable. I know the 40D can be remotley controlled via the USB connection, I think the 300D is similar but the camera does not have the live view facility.

To instal without the original Disk follow the links I have already given you. I believe EOS Utility is what you need. Do you have the USB cable type I showed you a link to?
15 Feb 2013 10:40PM
Strawman, thanks again for the info, i have a cable as you showed via the link, not sure whether it works, so have ordered a new one. I contacted Canon again regarding the original software. They cannot supply "original discs" only upgrades. However, they were extremely helpful, giving me the address of the software supplier - www.instructionbooks.co.uk. I contacted them and can get an original software disc for 18:00. This should enable me to install EOS Utility, see where we go from there!!
blastedkane 9 66 2
16 Feb 2013 11:38AM
webberi. there are some steps that you can take if you don't have the original disc. I had lost mine and wanted to install it on to a netbook so that I could use it in the field.

I found the instructions needed here

http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/article_pages/install_canon_software.html

it requires some registry "correction" however it will mean that you can install the software without the CD

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.