Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Compatibilty.

6 Jan 2011 8:19PM
Hi
i have a canon 550d, a 1000d and a metz 48 AF-1 digital flash ( E-TTL, ETTL II, HSS, E-TTL REMOTE), does anyone know if there is a cheap
remote flash trigger that is compatible with these items?
I was about to perchase one online thinking any remote trigger will work, it seems i could be wrong?
The flash unit has a built in remote but i dont think either of my cameras support the neccesary function to use it?
I am new to photography and know nothing about flash photography so forgive my ignorance.
This is my first flash unit and i would like to use it off-camera with a soft box to try some portrait shots.
Any help or pointers will be very much appreciated
Thanks Ricky.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

sherlob e2
8 2.4k 126 United Kingdom
7 Jan 2011 8:21AM
Hi Ricky,

I should imagine this would work with a cheap and cheerful set of radio triggers bought from eBay. The thing to remember with such a set up is that you won't retain all those fancy flash modes, and rather you'll need to control the flash manually. This isn't too bad a price as it helps you to learn the relationship between in camera settings and the degree of flash used. Metz are a very well respected manufacturer and I suspect that they do some kind of trigger device that will enable you to retain these modes, but expect to pay a substantial price...

Adam
7 Jan 2011 9:13AM

Quote:Hi Ricky,

I should imagine this would work with a cheap and cheerful set of radio triggers bought from eBay. The thing to remember with such a set up is that you won't retain all those fancy flash modes, and rather you'll need to control the flash manually. This isn't too bad a price as it helps you to learn the relationship between in camera settings and the degree of flash used. Metz are a very well respected manufacturer and I suspect that they do some kind of trigger device that will enable you to retain these modes, but expect to pay a substantial price...

Adam

Hi Adam
This is good news, just what i wanted to hear Smile
I understand that i will have to use manual mode which as you say is a good way to learn.
So i will buy a cheap trigger and try it out before going for a more expensive one.
Thanks very much for your help i really appreciate it Smile
Regards Ricky.
21 Jan 2011 1:36PM
Some of the cheap radio triggers are pretty poor quality, and seem unreliable, I have seen lot's of negative comments posted on the web about them.
I would suggest you find someone here who has bought some and check out their feelings before possibly wasting your money, sometimes cheapest isn't always best value.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.