Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

competition con

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

billythefish
7 May 2011 - 1:07 PM

Sadi have been watching photographic competitions over the last few years.and have come to the conclusion that if you do not have photoshop you will not win any prizes. this is wrong as you should win on your skills to produce a nice photo. not change it to something it is not.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
7 May 2011 - 1:07 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139430 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
7 May 2011 - 1:15 PM

Quote: this is wrong as you should win on your skills to produce a nice photo. not change it to something it is not.

Why? People have been doing that in their darkrooms for a century or more - long before Photoshop was a glimmer in anyone's eye!

billythefish
7 May 2011 - 1:32 PM

anyone that can afford photoshop and learns how to use it can win any prize they want.

edrhodes
edrhodes  9521 forum posts United Kingdom12 Constructive Critique Points
7 May 2011 - 1:35 PM

Quote: anyone that can afford photoshop and learns how to use it can win any prize they want.

If only it was that easy!

sherlob
sherlob e2 Member 82324 forum postssherlob vcard United Kingdom125 Constructive Critique Points
7 May 2011 - 1:41 PM

Sorry Bill but I have to disagree. Carabosse is absolutely spot on in his comment.

Quote: you should win on your skills to produce a nice photo

This implies you don't need skill to use PS (or any other editing software) - or that traditionally you didn't need skill to process the film. Obviously thats utter nonsense. Remember that even if you take a film into a lab to process - it will still likely be tweaked for colour balance etc (even if this is automated). Isn't that changing the image into something its not?

The manipulation of an image starts way before you press the shutter. Think about it. You make creative decisions about composition, focusing, depth of field, exposure, filtration, and magnification (plus others I'm sure) before you take the image. Each of these decisions changes the 'truth' of the image (what is the 'truth' of an image?). Why is using PS to continue this process such a crime? Photographs are created - get over it.

Adam

Helpful Post! This post was flagged as helpful
KarenFB
KarenFB Junior Gallery Team 84277 forum postsKarenFB vcard England163 Constructive Critique Points
7 May 2011 - 1:43 PM

Quote: Sadi have been watching photographic competitions over the last few years.and have come to the conclusion that if you do not have photoshop you will not win any prizes. this is wrong as you should win on your skills to produce a nice photo. not change it to something it is not.

Did you see the entry that won Countryfile's calender competition? It was taken and sent in (un-photoshopped) by a lady who used a compact camera! Smile
Link to image.

Last Modified By KarenFB at 7 May 2011 - 1:44 PM
csurry
csurry  129230 forum posts92 Constructive Critique Points
7 May 2011 - 2:45 PM

Previous years winning image had no photoshop either. Just processed RAW file and printed. Grin

Lots of competitions encourage digital art, but many frown upon anything other than dust removal. Just depends on the competition and the rules. If you don't like the rules allowing PS then don't enter those and stick with the ones that ask to see the raw file at some point in the judging process. Mind you those tend to be wildlife/nature comps.

thewilliam
7 May 2011 - 2:54 PM

I thought most people were using pirate copies of Photshop!

At one event, the speaker asked how many of us had Photoshop that was fully road-legal and only two of us raised our hands.

lobsterboy
lobsterboy Site Moderator 1014135 forum postslobsterboy vcard United Kingdom13 Constructive Critique Points
7 May 2011 - 2:57 PM

But Cheryl, many people consider using a robot squirrel cheating too.

Alan_Warriner

Film

In Camera: Filters, film type (Velvia!)...

Processing: Push, pull, X-Processing...

Printing: Dodge, burn, flashing, combining images, toning, variable contrast...

JJGEE
JJGEE  96303 forum posts England18 Constructive Critique Points
7 May 2011 - 3:00 PM

Quote: stick with the ones that ask to see the raw file at some point in the judging process

Perhaps there are competitions where one submits the RAW file at the outset and the judges use the same RAW conversion software on every image... processing then would at least be consistent across all entries Wink

Last Modified By JJGEE at 7 May 2011 - 3:01 PM
csurry
csurry  129230 forum posts92 Constructive Critique Points
7 May 2011 - 3:01 PM

Robots are harder to control than the stuffed ones, but the stuffed ones tend to look too static Wink Tongue

lobsterboy
lobsterboy Site Moderator 1014135 forum postslobsterboy vcard United Kingdom13 Constructive Critique Points
7 May 2011 - 3:04 PM

What you need to do is train the squirrel to use Photoshop and you have a guaranteed competition winner.

Andy_Cundell
7 May 2011 - 3:17 PM

Can you get the squirrel to train me to use photoshop please?

User_Removed
7 May 2011 - 4:19 PM

I have a fairly simple explanation as to why its difficult to be sucessful in photo comps and its all about monitors/apple/windows.

As most judges of serious competitions are undoubtably using professionally set up macs or top end windows machines its unlikely that your masterpiece will look anything like your view when it hits the judge.

A second point to make comes from a short spell I had as an insurance agent collecting a round for United Friendly!...apart from their eating habits the most common thing you noticed was the different ideas of "colour" on their tvs....if peoples monitors show even a tiny percentage of this variation their comp entries are dead in the water.

On a site like this there are no doubt a high percentage of members with perfect monitor set up...but that is totally dependant on the individuals eyesight and colour recognition.

In my days of judging camera club comps I used a leica projector or a kodak carousel and the standard apart from bulb age was pretty even but now if you wish to look into my argument pop your best shots onto a usb and take it to a couple of friends pcs....stuart

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.