Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Competition results - your view

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Pete
Pete Site Moderator 1318443 forum postsPete vcard ePz Advertiser England96 Constructive Critique Points
6 Aug 2011 - 8:49 AM

Judging competitions is always subjective, but generally I have a relatively easy job of picking a winner from an ePHOTOzine competition. We usually receive around 1000 entries of which I can short-list down to 15-20 finalists, but the latest one was to win a Canon EOS camera and a fairly easy theme for anyone to enter - black & white.

As a result we had our biggest entry to date with over 2000 submissions. And the job of picking one winner was quite a task. These were ot just straight forward black & white conversions of snap shots. We had 100s of well considered compositions and themes, with super tonal ranges that would shame many original black & white film photographers.

I made a short-list of 136 and then spent ages deliberating over the winner.

Here's that short-list. If you had been judge which would you have picked? And why? Please link to the photo so I know which one you mean.

http://www.ephotozine.com/competitions/park-cameras--black---white--photography-...

Last Modified By Pete at 6 Aug 2011 - 8:50 AM
Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
6 Aug 2011 - 8:49 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Psin
Psin  966 forum posts England
6 Aug 2011 - 9:16 AM

Didn't envy your task on this one Pete. Some really strong entries with a plethora of different subjects.
My Choice would have been this one.

Aground
I love how sharp the boat is whilst all around is movement really emphasizing the title "Aground"

Also love the fact that i had another shortlist.

Good entries guys, again the talent on this site is amazing

Pete
(psin)

KarenFB
KarenFB Junior Gallery Team 84281 forum postsKarenFB vcard England163 Constructive Critique Points
6 Aug 2011 - 9:16 AM

I think you will probably get 136 different answers, because everyone's point of view and tastes are different!

For me, I think this one really stands out:-

Old Shatterhand

I really like the 'cragginess' of the gentleman - the lighting is superb!

Last Modified By KarenFB at 6 Aug 2011 - 9:22 AM
CaptivePhotons
CaptivePhotons e2 Member 111547 forum postsCaptivePhotons vcard England2 Constructive Critique Points
6 Aug 2011 - 9:26 AM

Looking at the short-list I can understand why you had such a tough time choosing. I feel that they would all have been deserved winners.

I like this one The Corner Chair by Daveu. No particular reason, it just appeals to me.

FlashBangPicture

looking at the entries i can see why it would've been such a hard job to choose a winner. I can see why you have picked the winning shot but for my money without the explanation of the title then it loses it's impact. I was really drawn to "Lena Martin" by Newy17. For me it has a relaxed and artistic/seductive quality to it which i feel is the mood/effect he was going for. The depth of field and use of ambient light is technically perfect and it brings the whole shot together. If this shot was in colour i think that it could lose the feel and mood portrayed from it being in black and white so all the elements complement each other perfectly. Overall it is just a really nice shot to look at. As you say it is all subjective and other people will easily be able to find reasons to justify other shots as they are all so good.

Lena

Last Modified By FlashBangPicture at 6 Aug 2011 - 9:28 AM
aftertherain
6 Aug 2011 - 9:33 AM

Not easy is it?
Some are a bit clichéd and there wasn't much that had been taken specifically for this competition.

I'm not a great fan of portraits but I loved this one and would have given it fist place.
http://www.ephotozine.com/competitions/shortlist-photo/searching-18727829

The depth of tones and control of the lighting is superb (IMHO) I'd have cloned out the mole on her stomach though.

I'd have given this one second place (okay I know there wasn't a second place but hey why not when the comp has been won)
http://www.ephotozine.com/competitions/shortlist-photo/run-for-cover-18751359

Super candid with everything coming together beautifully.

And my third place goes to:
http://www.ephotozine.com/competitions/shortlist-photo/gannet-colony-18867289

It shouldn't work as a B&W but somehow it does and without the colour it makes you look into the photograph.

BTW
Great to see some many Northumbrian images making it into the short list - Northumberland ROCKS Smile

Fishnet
Fishnet  104976 forum posts United Kingdom5 Constructive Critique Points
6 Aug 2011 - 9:43 AM

I really like this one.

It has a surreal, dream like feel to it that appeals to me, I reckon it would look fabulous in colour too judging by that sky.

Pete
Pete Site Moderator 1318443 forum postsPete vcard ePz Advertiser England96 Constructive Critique Points
6 Aug 2011 - 9:53 AM

Great views, thanks. Keep them coming. Grin

And, if you have time, perhaps delve into the rest of the entries and tell me if there are any I missed that should have been shortlisted or even the winner. But be aware that there are around 2000 to look through!

southpole
southpole  355 forum posts United Kingdom
6 Aug 2011 - 10:31 AM

Derelict machinery at South Crofty Mine, Cornwall

would of been my choice good tones tells a story of the past good detail..

I think judging is personal choice what one judge picks another judge may not.

What i would like to see is a judges short list past to another judge and vice the versa then the 2 chosen photos another judge picks the winner. I think that's makes it fair and unbiased . I am not keen on public voting competitions.

I think the winner photo is good and shows emotion

aftertherain
6 Aug 2011 - 10:45 AM

It's pouring with rain so I waded through the thumbnails - it's given me a great insight into what's needed for a competition.

1. Read the rules they're there for a reason and stick to them.
2. Your picture might be good but do the judges need to see it twice?
3. A picture has to immediately grab the judges attention, subtle detail doesn't make the first cut.
4. Be original and don't just search through your archives.
5. Double check the photograph for dust spots and other flaws
6. Make sure your picture is sharp where it should be.

So having trawled through the entries I take my hat off to you Pete, I just looked at the thumbs, unless I liked the shot, but I know you'll have viewed them all at full size.

This one maybe
though I can see that a lack of attention to detail has hindered it.

This is cute and the eye catchlights are good.
so many of the shortlisted portraits had eye's that reflected rubbish so they weren't 'eyes' any more.

Stunning shot!
I love this technically excellent and beautiful too.
I would have this on my wall and it would have been my winner.

Last Modified By aftertherain at 6 Aug 2011 - 10:47 AM
stevie
stevie e2 Member 101198 forum postsstevie vcard United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
6 Aug 2011 - 12:04 PM

Great fun looking through these, some excellent shots.
Personally, I like this, it reminds me a bit of the famous shot of the Afghan girl with the piercing green eyes.
I suppose it's technically just less than perfect (I'm not sure whether the strand of hair on the left is good or bad) but I still felt it conveyed something.

Gaucho
Gaucho e2 Member 122260 forum postsGaucho vcard United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
6 Aug 2011 - 12:21 PM

This kept my attention for a long time. You can almost feel the pain of waiting for the results ( no idea what they were up to! Gymnastics?)
And this is just so intriguing. Makes you think.

Unbelievably high standard overall! Thanks for "forcing" me to work my way through them, Pete. Quite inspirational.

Malcolm

Andy_Cundell
6 Aug 2011 - 12:41 PM

For obvious reasons, I would pick myself! (If I had make the shortlist Grin )

JN_CHATELAIN_PHOTOGRAPHY
6 Aug 2011 - 3:01 PM

What criteria were used to assess the photos and choose the winning one?

SlowSong
SlowSong e2 Member 64435 forum postsSlowSong vcard England29 Constructive Critique Points
6 Aug 2011 - 5:53 PM

These are the 5 that I stopped at - in no particular order. When I look at a picture I don't dwell on technicalities as you may gather, but the ones I chose have a certain hook that draws me in.

I couldn't have chosen a winner from this fabulous shortlist. Rather you than me.

I Felt Cynical Breaks a lot of "rules". Thought provoking and mysterious.
It's a Kind Of Magic Split timing. Good hands.
Bird Man Poignant and tender.
Trapped Childlike - almost conversational.
Pippi Fun and illustrative.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.