Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Computer Security. - Attackers using 'Windows'

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

New PortraitPro 12 SALE + 10% OFF code EPZROS814
polis_928tadw59

This week's magazine, ComputerActive has an article on p7 giving details of an attack which fools people into downloading malicious software by mimicking a genuine Microsoft Windows security alert. It is worth looking at and something to bear in mind.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
12 Apr 2012 - 2:02 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

thewilliam
12 Apr 2012 - 3:23 PM

We get regular phone calls from people who claim to be from Microsoft, telling us that our computer has a malfunction and needs urgent attention.

I had a couple of phishing emails this morning that were very, very realistic. One purported to be from Paypal and the other from Lloyds Bank.

Be very, very, careful. Never follow any link in an email.

answersonapostcard
answersonapostcard Site Moderator 1012602 forum postsanswersonapostcard vcard United Kingdom15 Constructive Critique Points
12 Apr 2012 - 3:31 PM

yep, that one got me. Couldnt recover anything, or get rid of it. Sad

robthecamman
12 Apr 2012 - 4:16 PM

iv an apple comp not perfect but better more stable

lemmy
lemmy  71835 forum posts United Kingdom
12 Apr 2012 - 4:31 PM

Quote: iv an apple comp not perfect but better more stable

Apple is having trouble with the Flashback malware at the moment.

A simple precaution like imaging your disk every few days means malware and viruses don't matter any more, Windows or Mac. Given the built in data backup in Windows and on Macs, it seems careless to lose any data these days. All the backups and imaging can be done automatically and unattended, scheduled or on closing the computer down.

There are two kinds of computer users. Those who have just lost all their data and those who are just about to Grin

Seriously, in this day and age, for malware or a virus to lead to data loss is completely unnecessary.

User_Removed
12 Apr 2012 - 4:33 PM

You can fool the fake Windows mob on the phone when they ask if you are at the computer by asking them to identify which one by quoting your windows registration number or saying your not at your machine and as they have your details please can they email you.

strawman
strawman  1022006 forum posts United Kingdom16 Constructive Critique Points
12 Apr 2012 - 4:45 PM

Quote: Iv an apple comp not perfect but better more stable

Sadly you are wrong, it may have been true a few years back but if its a modern complex OS with far too much bloat wear built and open to people adding programs on top in it is open to stability issues. That belongs in the myth category like apple computers do not get malware.

If you look how the recent Trojan for Mac installed you will see it initially came in through a similar path as the OP pointed out. The OP said it mimics a windows windows messaging window, the apple on a flash player update window look alike. Pretty similar if you think about it. Both relied on the owner to go to a particular web site and accept the fake message in order for it to get on board. One key difference is a windows user is more likely to have some security software that could spot the problem. Also MS would not wait as long as Apple did to roll out the prevention. 8 weeks is a long time for the OS vendor to hold onto the update patch.

So in this case the typical windows system may well have been more secure. Mind you the irony of it hiding as a flash player does show a sense of humour on behalf of the hackers. By all means use and enjoy your Apple product, it may well be the best for you. But do not ascribe attributes to it that it does not posses.

strawman
12 Apr 2012 - 4:48 PM

Re unwanted phone calls like the pretending to be MS if I have time I just keep them on the phone a long time after all if I am wasting their time they are not picking on some other sod plus it may dissuade them.

polis_928tadw59

This is not an unwanted phone call scam. It looks as though the warning pops up on your screen as a genuine windows warning about security when you are actually on line. The magazine shows a photograph of the fake Windows screen. The article also states "a video of the website in action can be viewed at www.screenr.com/92S8. Presumably it is safe to visit that and view what it is all about.

Gaucho
Gaucho e2 Member 122238 forum postsGaucho vcard United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
12 Apr 2012 - 5:11 PM

I'm not about to try it Wink

strawman
12 Apr 2012 - 5:32 PM

Yes my wife fell foul of something similar, (and to be honest it looked pretty good) but Kaspersky flagged it instantly and blocked the download. so how did she get there, well it was @ 4 clicks from the BBC. She read an article and at the bottom there were links to other web sites, she followed that, then another and following the trail of related articles she went to follow what looked like a picture of the news event but it was not and up popped a security window (fake).

And that leads to another security tip. Do not have your browser set to re-open on the sites you last went to as each time she opened the browser it went through the loop again.

SueEley
SueEley e2 Member 8271 forum postsSueEley vcard Wales96 Constructive Critique Points
12 Apr 2012 - 7:06 PM

Have had the phone version of the windows scam - and most recently a phishing scam on hotmail which tried to get me to give my password, date of birth, questions etc etc...... Playing on the fear that you will lose your account as it has a security problem. Which terrified me given all the different things I use email for. Have started forwarding important emails to another account, as I do know people who have been temporarily blocked. Would you not think hotmail would stop someone taking the email 'hotmail 4'? Probably a bit off topic. Sorry!

macroman
macroman  1115312 forum posts England
12 Apr 2012 - 7:34 PM

I get the 'Windows Mob' almost every week.
They are great fun to wind up.
I keep them talking by asking silly questions and giving them false info about my PC.

I once told one of them that my operating system is Sinclair ZX81, totally confused him! Grin

Eventually they get p155d off and hang up.

My record is 16minutes. Grin

Present E-mail scams:- Inland revenue tax rebate, Paypal acount errors, Barclays, HSB, Lloyds, Halifax etc. so-called problems with account security, instant deletion is the answer.

Last Modified By macroman at 12 Apr 2012 - 7:39 PM
redsnappa
redsnappa  111911 forum posts United Kingdom
12 Apr 2012 - 8:30 PM

I feel left out here. I've never had the fake Microsoft phone call, maybe they carefully select their intended victims.

rhol2
rhol2 e2 Member 3289 forum postsrhol2 vcard United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
12 Apr 2012 - 9:44 PM

I've not had the Phone Call but have had an e-mail apparentlyfrom Halifax asking me to follow a particular link to confirm my account details..this led to a very realistic page appearing asking for Ac No. and password.

Needless to say I reported it as a phishing scam and changed my password immediately . I'm now using Kaspersky so am glad to note Strawman's comment that it seems effective.

Last Modified By rhol2 at 12 Apr 2012 - 9:49 PM

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.