Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Computer startup delay

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

hobbo
hobbo e2 Member 3774 forum postshobbo vcard England2 Constructive Critique Points
23 Sep 2012 - 9:12 AM

Just recently my desktop PC (complete with all my pics.files and software) has begun to play up on start up:

SYMPTOMS:..............It can either take an age to get going............or, occassionally.........it will simply stick on the initial black screen that offers access to BIOS etc.

This morning, it has done the latter, even after three attempts to get it to start............I gave up on it, leaving the initial black start up running..............twenty minutes later, I returned to see that it had eventually got going:

Can anyone computer savvy tell me why it might be happening......can I do something myself?....or.....is it a trip to the PC pro...or...even to the PC Knackers Yard?

Fortunately since I lost, then recovered the original C DRive, I back up all important files etc to two exterior DRives..........What I am afraid of losing is my software.

The C drive is less than four years old:

I have KASPERSY antivirus and CCleaner which I run regularly:

All advice gratefully received:

Hobbo

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
23 Sep 2012 - 9:12 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Umberto_Vanni
Umberto_Vanni e2 Member 9346 forum postsUmberto_Vanni vcard Scotland
23 Sep 2012 - 9:24 AM

It might be the motherboard that's starting to play up. There is not much you can do about that other than change the motherboard. Just an aside...have you checked the memory and all internal cards such as the graphics card are seated properly?. Also try giving it a hoover out to get any dust away from the fans etc.

I had a problem with my last computer where my graphics card was faulty. The computer had similar symptoms to yours. Changed the graphics card and all was fine.

rhol2
rhol2 e2 Member 3281 forum postsrhol2 vcard United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
23 Sep 2012 - 9:43 AM

Assuming that you are using Windows 7 and can get the thing running again, it might be worth trying "
Sytem Restore".

This resets the system back to a chosen date,i.e. one before you started having problems.

If you click on Start, then "Help and Support" you can type "system restore" into the search box..this brings up a help list explaining how System Restore operates and how to implement it.

Could be worth trying before you look at hardware options.

puertouk
puertouk  21053 forum posts United Kingdom17 Constructive Critique Points
23 Sep 2012 - 10:48 AM

You could have a virus on your system. You could have too many programs on startup, which is why your system takes so long to start up. Check what programs are on at startup. Any of these which are not essencial, you should be able to turn off at startup. Have you got more than 1 drive on your PC? Your BIOS may not be picking up your C drive on bootup. Restart your PC and press your delete button. Various option will appear. Press your arrow button until you come to your bios settings. Open that and make sure the C drive is the main startup. If you are unsure, do not alter anything. If you have a Windows 7 disk, put it into your drive and reboot your machine. Keep pressing F8 while the machine boots up, this will then take you into the Windows 7 disk options. You need to choose English UK on the list. Choose repair your PC. It will then hopefully repair any problems you have. If this does not work, take it to a repair centre.
Stephen

silver_stoat
23 Sep 2012 - 11:29 AM

I've found if I have my printer switched on and fired up before turning computer on then computer takes a age to boot past the black screen as you call it. Making sure the printer is powered down before switching computer on solves my problem and boot up time is normal. It seems my computer takes a quick read at the bios it then starts to read something to do with the printer taking a good two/three mins before starting to load up windows.

Not saying this is the same problem as yours but if your printer is on before booting try switching it off then boot.

mlewis
mlewis  91475 forum posts United Kingdom
23 Sep 2012 - 5:58 PM

Make sure any external hard disks are not plugged in or are powered off when starting up.

col.campbell
23 Sep 2012 - 6:48 PM

Quote: Make sure any external hard disks are not plugged in or are powered off when starting up.

+1. I recently got a couple of external USB drives for backing up data and discovered my XP system, freshly installed, takes all day/ fails to boot with them connected.

hobbo
hobbo e2 Member 3774 forum postshobbo vcard England2 Constructive Critique Points
23 Sep 2012 - 7:28 PM

That is very interesting, I have two hefty external drives plugged in all the time.....It could be that which is causing the problem......does that mean I will have to pull the USB connectors every night?

That will be a pain, and is likely to get forgotten......can the PC not be programmed to sart them both up after main start-up?

Hobbo

oldblokeh
oldblokeh  3766 forum posts United Kingdom
23 Sep 2012 - 7:38 PM

Your BIOS ought to allow you to specify the order of looking for bootable drives, aka the boot order.

hobbo
24 Sep 2012 - 6:12 AM

Thank you folks.......I seem to be making progress:

I recently purchased a new INOV8 multi card reader, I had left it connected.........when it is, it shows up as drives E,F,G,H,I , it probably upsets my BIOS setting..............I gave the PC a good old clean out a virus scan...it was clear.....then got rid of the quick start settings.

I will need to find somebody more savvy than me to check the BIOS setting for start Order....otherwise, it might get expensive if I get it wrong:
at the moment the PC is starting up much faster:

Hobbo

Ade_Osman
Ade_Osman e2 Member 114484 forum postsAde_Osman vcard England36 Constructive Critique Points
24 Sep 2012 - 11:20 AM

Any USB peripherals will slow down a machine on start up, this includes any external hard-drives, especially as most machines in the BIOS are set to look for them in case they are to be used as boot drives. You can disable this function in the BIOS, but it's unwise especially if you use an external drive as a back up. Just keep the drive switched off or unplugged.

Ade

pabloisme
pabloisme  4565 forum posts England
25 Sep 2012 - 8:09 AM

how old is it? if it defaults into bios

IT may well be the small battery on the board!

being flatter than flat!
USB drives are best added when running (some AV's will scan check them EVERY TIME!)

BUT with all PCs running mucksift o/s you will find that the UPDATES has grown larger and LARGER
slowing it (start up) down!

Jestertheclown
25 Sep 2012 - 9:43 AM

Mine started sticking on the BIOS screen a while ago. I had to press enter (I think any key would have done) to get it to continue.
I googled the problem and concluded that the problem lay with the internal battery, the one that powers the BIOS chip when the machine's turned off.
I replaced it with one from the pound shop (I got a card with about two dozen batteries on it) and it's been OK since.
Could be worth a try.
I've never noticed an issue with start times due to having things plugged in via USB, and I've got a few.

RogBrown
RogBrown  72997 forum posts England10 Constructive Critique Points
25 Sep 2012 - 11:22 AM

Quote: I replaced it with one from the pound shop

How much did it cost? Smile

Jestertheclown
25 Sep 2012 - 3:08 PM

Quote: How much did it cost? Smile

Now Rog, you know better than that. That's one of my jokes!

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.