Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Computer will not finish 'Booting Up' -- help !

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    pentaxpete
    17 Dec 2012 - 10:00 AM

My original 'TIME' computer which I' m running with this 'Gateway e-machine' one both loaded with Windows XP suddenly will not finish 'booting up' -- there is the screen come up as usual with all the technical stuff but now there is a message saying ' NTDLR is missing' and 'Boot from ATAPI CD-Rom Failure' and 'Hold Ctr/Alt/Del' to re-start -- which I do but it just goes to the same messages and will not boot up so I cannot get my Outlook Express -- this is important as on my other post about my 'TalkTalk being Hacked' I was advised to delete any other 'names' in the Accounts other than my mail.talktalk one , which was done but since then Outlook Express does NOT WORK any more on THIS Gateway machine so I was relying on my Outlook Express on my 'TIME' computer !!
    I DID have some help as advised in previous Post from 'someone who knows what they are doing' and it was HE who deleted the other 'weird accounts' on the Gateway machine Outlook Express such as 'Bigfoot Internet directory service' !
    I had a look in the 'Startup' on the 'TIME' machine by pressing 'DEL' to enter it but cannot find this 'NTDLR' which is missing anywhere.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    17 Dec 2012 - 10:00 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

GarethRobinson
    GarethRobinson e2 Member 8992 forum postsGarethRobinson vcard United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
    17 Dec 2012 - 10:12 AM

put your windows xp disc in the cdrom boot from cd and do a repair, that should sort it. If you cant do it from cd try making a usb sitck with bootable xp install.

http://computernetworkingnotes.com/xp-tips-and-trick/install-xp-form-pen-drive.h...

Hope that helps you out.

Helpful Post! This post was flagged as helpful
    puertouk
    puertouk  21072 forum posts United Kingdom17 Constructive Critique Points
    17 Dec 2012 - 10:32 AM

try booting in safe mode

GarethRobinson
    GarethRobinson e2 Member 8992 forum postsGarethRobinson vcard United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
    17 Dec 2012 - 10:47 AM

with ntdlr missing as far as I can recall the machine will not boot in safe mode either.

lobsterboy
    lobsterboy Site Moderator 1014137 forum postslobsterboy vcard United Kingdom13 Constructive Critique Points
    17 Dec 2012 - 10:55 AM

Quote: ' NTDLR is missing' and 'Boot from ATAPI CD-Rom Failure'

Have you got a CD in the drive? if so take it out.

Big Bri
    Big Bri  1315583 forum posts England
    17 Dec 2012 - 11:01 AM

Yep, sounds like it's trying to boot from the CD. Just remove it.

Sooty_1
    Sooty_1 Critique Team 41207 forum posts United Kingdom198 Constructive Critique Points
    17 Dec 2012 - 11:13 AM

If not, your computer is booting from cd rather than the c: drive. If all else fails, you may have to go into the bios and change the boot disk option.
    However, if you have the windows disk that should work if its in the cd drive, and either a repair or a reinstall should improve matters.

Nick

EddieAC
    EddieAC  9681 forum posts United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
    17 Dec 2012 - 11:34 AM

This is my post from a previous topic very similar to your query and is a method that worked for me when I had the same problem:

Quote: There is a possibility that the boot loader has become corrupt.

There are are two files that you could try copying to the root directory of your internal hard drive. To do this you will need to boot from a bootable cd.

As you have a windows xp recovery cd you can boot this and load up the recovery console.

From here you should be able to get into the dos command prompt.

On your recovery cd there should be two files:

ntldr
    ntdetect.com

On my one it is in the root directory of the cd so you should be able to find this by typing dir or dir/w and pressing enter.

When you have located these files type this:

copy ntldr c:
    copy ntdetect.com c:

Then reboot and hopefully this should correct your problem.

If this does not correct your problem then you can try the option for repairing the windows installation. This should leave all your files intact.

If the files on your CD are not in the root directory then they may be in a folder called "i386". In that case you will have to type this:

Type "COPY D:\i386\ntldr C:\" and press ENTER.
    Type "COPY D:\i386\ntdetect.com C:\" and press ENTER.

This also assumes that your CD-Rom drive is labelled as "D:" and your hard drive partition is labelled as "C:". If not then you need to alter the drive designations in the copy commands accordingly.

shirlos
    shirlos e2 Member 5shirlos vcard
    17 Dec 2012 - 11:40 AM

I don't know much about computers but have just managed to repair my Dell laptop running 'vista'. Something failed, possibly Internet Explorer', and I couldn't get onto the desktop to do anything - just got a white screen. Using the rather poor instruction book I went into the diagnostics ( you have to use the function keys as the computer starts up ) and eventually found access to 'System restore' - I reset to the last time point and bingo ! - up & running again properly. I suspect XP is similar - I'd need to go & check on my PC which uses XP. I think this is the safest course of action if you can find a way to do it.
    Good luck.
    Ian

JackAllTog
    JackAllTog e2 Member 53626 forum postsJackAllTog vcard United Kingdom58 Constructive Critique Points
    17 Dec 2012 - 12:30 PM

Agreed as above, a CD maybe in the drive, if not then the 2 repairs mentioned with XP CD's sound good.
    But the hard disk its self may have gone faulty - it sounds like a very old PC.

pentaxpete
    17 Dec 2012 - 8:54 PM

Thanks to all -- I have had some help from a friend and he is inspecting the Hard Disk as on Post above -- Peter

pentaxpete
    26 Dec 2012 - 10:59 AM

DONE !! the friend has got it all working again -- I showed him your suggestions -- many thanks fr you 'Computer Experts' -- he put my disks into HIS computer he said and did something -- then ran the Windows XP Home Edition Repair .

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.