Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Concert photography

JJCanon 1 1 United States
25 Mar 2013 3:28PM
I'm a newbie to this site, so if there's a thread on this topic, I do apologize for wasting your time reading this.
I'm a music geek, and it has been a dream of mine to photograph at music festivals, getting a band together to be their photographer, and so far, no luck.
As a photography student, you would think there would be exceptions for students who wish to be in this particular field.
I'm a member of a website called "Picture Stock", where I'm assigned based off of what I wish to shoot, and go out and photograph the event, upload and send my pictures to the agency, and they send it to whoever needs the images, like a website or a magazine.
Now, I haven't had ANY luck whatsoever, not even with my press pass.
I'm hoping to gain permission at Rock on the Range (music festival), paid over $300 dollars for all of the weekend passes, and photograph the events, same with Warped Tour in July.
I'm going to send in a request form/letter to those involved with the presses at both events, and hope they'll accept.
Any tips that I should be aware about?

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Ade_Osman e2
11 4.5k 36 England
25 Mar 2013 3:45PM
Lots of articles within EPZ techniques section which should give you a few ideas, try clicking HERE that should get get your grey matter working and give you a few pointers.
andart 12 481 United Kingdom
25 Mar 2013 3:50PM
$50 for a 'press pass' - I bet they are laughing all the way to the bank Wink

You might as well make your own!
digipix76 7 577 England
25 Mar 2013 4:18PM
Any tips that I should be aware about?.....You only get the first three songs, and in some cases only the first two! If you get in the pit just enjoy yourself, it can be daunting having a few hundred/thousand people behind you! Smile be patient and remember you only need one good shot.
hobbo e2
3 816 2 England
25 Mar 2013 5:07PM
Don't bother with a flash......it won't reach.

Hobbo
danh 4 61 36 United Kingdom
27 Mar 2013 9:17PM
Three songs, no flash - industry standard.

Never buy a photopass - you're getting ripped off.

Work hard, shoot up and coming bands who might like your attention... and hope one of them gets huge. Otherwise, contact some hard-copy and online publications and show them half a dozen of your best shots. They might use you in the future.

I'd like to say "Never shoot just for credits, always ask for money" but I'm afraid the world has turned too far from that ideal. Sad
Geoffphoto 8 13.5k United Kingdom
29 Mar 2013 12:32PM
One of my favourite images, took me about 125th of a sec and 25 years to get !!!!

oasis.jpg

PS I didn't pay for a pass !!
Geoffphoto 8 13.5k United Kingdom
29 Mar 2013 12:48PM
Oh ! and if you do get in, be nice to the security guys (and just do as you are told !) !! Smile
User_Removed 7 736 4
29 Mar 2013 10:40PM
IF you blag your way into a big gig, it's threes and out (could be fewer, and could be from behind the desk and not in the pit). Don't piss security off. Don't piss the regular photographers off. Don't get in the way. Know your camera inside out. Shooting dark stuff, at speed, in the dark. It goes without saying that not only are you not allowed to use flash but that it would also be somewhere between useless to counterproductive to use.

HOWEVER, you can not expect to be given an easy route in, just because you are a student. As you are a student, then use your time to study this area you 'dream' to be in. Hard work makes 'dreams' come true. Take your hopes down a level.

Practice until you are perfect with local, low key, low light, gigs for mates and you will have given yourself the best training for dealing with the worst conditions. Then you might get your work published/you might get hired.

Best of luck and enjoy!

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.