Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

Concert photography at Hyde Park

bailey73 e2
11 357
22 May 2006 10:11AM
I am going to see the Foo Fighters at Hyde Park in June and would like to get some pics of the day, does anyone know if you are allowed cameras at venues like this?, would I be pushing my luck taking in a Canon 20d?, could they refuse entry?.

Any help is appreciated

Thanks

Darren

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

u08mcb 10 5.8k
22 May 2006 10:37AM
Oh man don't take your camera!!! For one you shouldn't be doing anything other than pogoing at a foo fighters gig unless its your job to take photos, and for two you WILL get covered in beer, especially if you're near the front.
bailey73 e2
11 357
22 May 2006 10:42AM
Thankyou for the reply.

I will be right up the front (V.I.P ticket), I will protect the camera from beer and I will still pogo hard.

Just wondered if cameras are prohibited?, and if its a case of sneak one in?, if so I will buy a smaller digi.
NikLG e2
9 1.7k England
22 May 2006 11:11AM
I had a VIP ticket ( wristband ) for the Bboy champs last year but had to have a press-pass as well to take a camera in, no cameras were allowed unless you had one ( a press-pass that is, not a camera..),though everyone was taking pictures / videos with their phones.
So, you might be out of luck. Depends on the venue I suppose...

Don't know what the bouncers / security personnel would do if they caught you with a camera...

Nik
ZenTog e2
12 7.9k 1 England
22 May 2006 11:38AM
a friend was at the eden (Kene I think)do last year and plenty of people were using cameras
abel e2
10 518 United Kingdom
22 May 2006 11:46AM
I think the crux is whether security in their ignorance think you will get anything saleable - this way they will get all emotional if you turn up with say an SLR with a 70-200 attached, but if you have a p&s with an equal or superior optical zoom, well that's ok as it's not a 'proper' camera ...

OK, bitter rant over ...

abel
bailey73 e2
11 357
22 May 2006 11:50AM
What P&S would do the job?, looking for reasonable zoom, high quality pics, and for it to fit in the pocket?.

Any suggestions?.
ZenTog e2
12 7.9k 1 England
22 May 2006 11:52AM
nahh just take a big lense in your missus bag and stuff camera body in pocket of your hoody
abel e2
10 518 United Kingdom
22 May 2006 12:01PM
Of course, you could just stuff the long lens down your trousers - is that an IS telephoto in your pocket, or are you just pleased to see me???

I would hate to get there with my pride and joy only to have them either:-

a) turn me away, or
b) offer to 'look after it' during the gig and I can 'claim it back' afterwards ...

... so better safe than sorry for me, I'm afraid.

abel
Jase_b 8 40 Scotland
22 May 2006 12:02PM
I used to work at Wembley years ago (well before they tore down the stadium). What we were told is that an SLR is allowed in with only a small lens i used to let upto 200mm in but others won't.
A lot of the time it is down to the person at the entrance to use their judgement (all be it very bad most of the time), but also if it is being filmed for a later release then normally all cameras are banned.
The best idea is to find out the company running the concert and contact them.
bailey73 e2
11 357
22 May 2006 12:03PM
The missus isnt coming to the foo's gig, and unfortunately she has just pulled out of the Chili's gig, so will need to conceal it all myself........Ouch, the thought of the big lens.
ZenTog e2
12 7.9k 1 England
22 May 2006 12:04PM
get a boys handbag, the crumpler ones look really the part
Taya 9 19 United Kingdom
24 May 2006 7:27AM
lol I like the suggestions so far, the trouser one wouldn't really work for me though Wink

Darren, I doubt you'll be allowed in with a SLR, unless you have a photopass, but you can take a digital compact camera. I took mine in for the Hyde Park REM gig, and they did search my bag. I'd love to photograph the Foos, instead I'll just take my crappy compact!

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.