Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Configuring Windows Failure

SlowSong e2
6 4.8k 29 England
16 Aug 2012 3:52PM
Over the last couple of days I've got this sequence come up on my computer.

Turn on Computer
Messages says Preparing to Configure Windows
Then says Failed to Configure Windows. Reverting changes
Computer shuts down

The computer then reopens itself
Again says Preparing to Configure Windows
This time it opens into the Desktop as it should

When I shut down manually Windows has tried to install 7 updates but nos. 4 and 6 don't seem to register. I guess that's something to do with it but I've no idea really. Anyone else had this problem? Any hints most welcome.

Cheers, Chris
x

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

cats_123 e2
10 4.3k 25 Northern Ireland
16 Aug 2012 4:01PM
not had this but might be best to restore to a date prior to when this started happening..perhaps teh updates didn't kick in properly?
User_Removed 5 4.6k 1 Scotland
16 Aug 2012 4:14PM
I am not sure of the details (Googling should find it) but there was a virus going around a few months ago that got into Windows 7 systems when automatic update was running. Effectively it seemed to prevent future updates from installing correctly. I seem to remember that it only affected PCs that relied upon Windows own virus protection and firewall but I may be wrong about that.
User_Removed 5 4.6k 1 Scotland
16 Aug 2012 4:16PM
.... Found it. Here are the details.

16 Aug 2012 4:17PM
Hi Chris I am having same scenario since yesterday with my windows 7 ultimate . After 4-5 failure attempts I turned off the automatic update option.
Gaucho e2
13 2.4k 2 United Kingdom
16 Aug 2012 4:18PM
Yes, I had that problem and it was a pain to get rid of. I'm really sorry I can't remember how I did it but Google came up with the answer. I'll have a quick look.
Gaucho e2
13 2.4k 2 United Kingdom
16 Aug 2012 4:24PM
SlowSong e2
6 4.8k 29 England
16 Aug 2012 4:28PM
Interesting that others of you have had this problem too. I'd have look on Google too but I don't know how to ask the question succinctly.
I've got McAfee firewall etc. so not Windows. Computer seems to be running quite slow too.
Cheers.
Gaucho e2
13 2.4k 2 United Kingdom
16 Aug 2012 4:28PM
justin c e2
11 4.6k 36 England
16 Aug 2012 4:30PM
Same problem here on Windows 7. Tried half a dozen times to install 8 new updates but failed on each occasion. I've just installed them one by one and so far six of the eight have installed successfully.
SlowSong e2
6 4.8k 29 England
16 Aug 2012 4:31PM
That looks just the thing Gaucho. Thanks. I'll give it a try when my OH gets time just in case I do something stupid and make things worse.
Many thanks. I'll report back as and when.
Cheers Smile
x
justin c e2
11 4.6k 36 England
16 Aug 2012 5:40PM
For anyone still having problems, I've just successfully installed all eight updates, but they had to be installed individually and the computer restarted after each one.
SlowSong e2
6 4.8k 29 England
16 Aug 2012 5:41PM
How do you install them individually?
Ewanneil 4 1.1k 2 Scotland
16 Aug 2012 6:17PM
I followed the one-by-one route and it worked for me too.

Chris, open the updates window to see the available updates. Where it says something like "5 important updates" click there to open up the list. Unclick 4 of them and install the 5th. Then repeat for each other update. I did a re-start after each install and although a bit laborious it worked. HTH.

Ewan
justin c e2
11 4.6k 36 England
16 Aug 2012 6:28PM

Quote:How do you install them individually?

I just opened up Windows Update, selected check for updates and just selected the ones I wanted to download and install, but only selecting one at a time. I tried to save a bit of time by trying three at once, but that failed to install correctly, no problem though if done individually.

EDIT Ewan beat me to it.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.