Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Configuring Windows Failure

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

SlowSong
SlowSong e2 Member 64571 forum postsSlowSong vcard England29 Constructive Critique Points
16 Aug 2012 - 3:52 PM

Over the last couple of days I've got this sequence come up on my computer.

Turn on Computer
Messages says Preparing to Configure Windows
Then says Failed to Configure Windows. Reverting changes
Computer shuts down

The computer then reopens itself
Again says Preparing to Configure Windows
This time it opens into the Desktop as it should

When I shut down manually Windows has tried to install 7 updates but nos. 4 and 6 don't seem to register. I guess that's something to do with it but I've no idea really. Anyone else had this problem? Any hints most welcome.

Cheers, Chris
x

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
16 Aug 2012 - 3:52 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

cats_123
cats_123 e2 Member 104034 forum postscats_123 vcard Northern Ireland25 Constructive Critique Points
16 Aug 2012 - 4:01 PM

not had this but might be best to restore to a date prior to when this started happening..perhaps teh updates didn't kick in properly?

User_Removed
16 Aug 2012 - 4:14 PM

I am not sure of the details (Googling should find it) but there was a virus going around a few months ago that got into Windows 7 systems when automatic update was running. Effectively it seemed to prevent future updates from installing correctly. I seem to remember that it only affected PCs that relied upon Windows own virus protection and firewall but I may be wrong about that.

User_Removed
16 Aug 2012 - 4:16 PM

.... Found it. Here are the details.

Jat_Riski
Jat_Riski e2 Member 670 forum postsJat_Riski vcard United Kingdom
16 Aug 2012 - 4:17 PM

Hi Chris I am having same scenario since yesterday with my windows 7 ultimate . After 4-5 failure attempts I turned off the automatic update option.

Gaucho
Gaucho e2 Member 122334 forum postsGaucho vcard United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
16 Aug 2012 - 4:18 PM

Yes, I had that problem and it was a pain to get rid of. I'm really sorry I can't remember how I did it but Google came up with the answer. I'll have a quick look.

Gaucho
Gaucho e2 Member 122334 forum postsGaucho vcard United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
16 Aug 2012 - 4:24 PM

This is the problem I had

SlowSong
SlowSong e2 Member 64571 forum postsSlowSong vcard England29 Constructive Critique Points
16 Aug 2012 - 4:28 PM

Interesting that others of you have had this problem too. I'd have look on Google too but I don't know how to ask the question succinctly.
I've got McAfee firewall etc. so not Windows. Computer seems to be running quite slow too.
Cheers.

Last Modified By SlowSong at 16 Aug 2012 - 4:28 PM
Gaucho
16 Aug 2012 - 4:28 PM

Or this might help

Helpful Post! This post was flagged as helpful
justin c
justin c  104537 forum posts England36 Constructive Critique Points
16 Aug 2012 - 4:30 PM

Same problem here on Windows 7. Tried half a dozen times to install 8 new updates but failed on each occasion. I've just installed them one by one and so far six of the eight have installed successfully.

SlowSong
16 Aug 2012 - 4:31 PM

That looks just the thing Gaucho. Thanks. I'll give it a try when my OH gets time just in case I do something stupid and make things worse.
Many thanks. I'll report back as and when.
Cheers Smile
x

Last Modified By SlowSong at 16 Aug 2012 - 4:31 PM
justin c
16 Aug 2012 - 5:40 PM

For anyone still having problems, I've just successfully installed all eight updates, but they had to be installed individually and the computer restarted after each one.

SlowSong
16 Aug 2012 - 5:41 PM

How do you install them individually?

Ewanneil
Ewanneil  41118 forum posts Scotland2 Constructive Critique Points
16 Aug 2012 - 6:17 PM

I followed the one-by-one route and it worked for me too.

Chris, open the updates window to see the available updates. Where it says something like "5 important updates" click there to open up the list. Unclick 4 of them and install the 5th. Then repeat for each other update. I did a re-start after each install and although a bit laborious it worked. HTH.

Ewan

justin c
16 Aug 2012 - 6:28 PM

Quote: How do you install them individually?

I just opened up Windows Update, selected check for updates and just selected the ones I wanted to download and install, but only selecting one at a time. I tried to save a bit of time by trying three at once, but that failed to install correctly, no problem though if done individually.

EDIT Ewan beat me to it.

Last Modified By justin c at 16 Aug 2012 - 6:30 PM Helpful Post! This post was flagged as helpful

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.