Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

confused

ianrobinson e2
5 1.2k 8 United Kingdom
20 Jul 2013 9:48PM
Hi all,

I know i will get stick for this but hey, to be fare I am only being straight up and honest.
there has been a landscape competition of late where the winner although a nice shot the horizon was well off line and beat some really serious photos from some very good photographers.
before we go with I am jealous, i can say that is definitely not the case, I am however confused as to what judges look for in a category.

Make up your own minds on this image, popcorn and wine are at the ready, will be very intersting reading and here is the link.

http://www.ephotozine.com/competitions/photo/bamburgh-castle-at-dawn-34222209

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Paul Morgan e2
13 16.1k 6 England
20 Jul 2013 9:54PM
Ian the Horizon looks about right to me, the land should be sloping to the left, it would look very odd if it did not.
wrinkles e2
6 351 United Kingdom
20 Jul 2013 10:02PM
If this picture was entered into a club competition it would have been thrown out, plus the subject matter seems to be of a select number places deemed to be the best?Wink
Paul Morgan e2
13 16.1k 6 England
20 Jul 2013 10:04PM
Look at it closely, the very small amount of the horizon that you can see is level, the rest is tidal and should be sloping.
mikehit e2
5 7.1k 11 United Kingdom
20 Jul 2013 10:11PM
The horizon looks off to me as well (and my wife) - not much, but it is there. Yet the castle looks vertical. Maybe it is lens distortion.

Who knows what judges look for...in our club I have seen photos awarded 19 or 20 by one judge but 13 or 14 by another.
mikehit e2
5 7.1k 11 United Kingdom
20 Jul 2013 10:13PM

Quote:Look at it closely, the very small amount of the horizon that you can see is level, the rest is tidal and should be sloping.

It is the left edge of the horizon that looks odd to me, the bit under the island, hence my comment about distortion.
WhiteRose1 e2
4 1.1k 137 England
20 Jul 2013 10:17PM

Quote:Look at it closely, the very small amount of the horizon that you can see is level, the rest is tidal and should be sloping.

My thoughts as well.
martin.w e2
12 355 22 United Kingdom
20 Jul 2013 10:57PM
There is a (very) slight slope to the horizon, but it could just be the curve of the wide angled lens. I have several seascapes that slope down the odd degree on both sides, I suppose could correct it, but hardly anybody notices and I am usually to lazy to do it anyway Wink
The horizon is fine on it. The sea is sloping as it should be, dont forget the land rises are the tide drags/deposits the sand.

To be honest, I like the photograph and the reflections in it but i'm not blown away. Saying that, I see so many landscape photographs these days it takes something amazing to blown me away!
patters e2
10 1.8k 1 United Kingdom
20 Jul 2013 11:14PM
The horizon is perfect, the sea/sand on the left side and the grass bank on the right give an illusion of wonky
patters e2
10 1.8k 1 United Kingdom
20 Jul 2013 11:19PM
screen-shot-2013-07-20-at-23-16-24.jpg

Campervanman e2
7 717 1 United Kingdom
20 Jul 2013 11:33PM
It is a very (tiny really) slight slope, certainly not 'well off' compared to many. I've just measured the distance from the horizon (the sea bit only) to the top of the frame at each end, there's less than 1mm difference. Could be a little edge distortion from a wide angle lens as already said. Also the edge of the line of rocks slopes down and can give the impression of the whole thing sloping. The castle walls seem vertical, does that tell us anything?
20 Jul 2013 11:48PM
17mm lens (judging by DOF and 17-70 mm range), complex terrain - give me a break! The castle is not wonky, and the photograph looks great. Hide your ruler and relax...Smile
ianrobinson e2
5 1.2k 8 United Kingdom
21 Jul 2013 1:29AM
Must be my cabinet makers eyes Tongue.

good to see some different opinions though.
21 Jul 2013 6:26AM
Looking at the castle it looks pretty right to me but I can see how the topography of the land gives the illusion of an obvious tilt. In these situations the image does sometimes give the viewer an uneasy feeling of the image leaning and I sometimes make an incorrect adjustment to give the image an overall pleasant feel despite my adjustment sometimes actually creating a horizon that is not as it should be. It's just a case of taste I guess, but I would always err on the side of ensuring buildings had a correct orientation if the two obviously conflicted as lake, coast and mountain lines are never really level.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.