Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

confused

31 Jul 2009 5:13PM
i want to purchase a telephoto lens 70-300 sigma APO DG for wildlife photography and searched through the web but i found that it is macro. i had a conception that a macro lens is different from a telephoto lens and they perform different functions. i am a bit confused about that particular lens. can anybody clear my point and suggest me?

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

User_Removed 7 1.5k 1
31 Jul 2009 5:21PM
There are a lot of lenses out their that are considered to be macro lenses but the truth is that many of them dont give the real life ratio that dedicated macros do so the lens in question is a telephoto lens that is capable of close up focusing but it is not a true macro so dont let that put you of buying it if wildlife photography is what you want it for.
jondf e2
8 2.7k
31 Jul 2009 6:21PM
The Sigma lens you refer to is a telephoto lens but with the added advantage that it also has a macro facility built in to it.

Switching to and from macro can be a bit fiddly but I wouldn't hesitate in recommending it. For what it costs, you get a lot of lens for the money. Just make sure you get the APO version.
mohikan22 e2
10 2.3k 1 United Kingdom
31 Jul 2009 7:05PM
its the same lens i have and although i dont use the macro function (i have a seperate macro lens) its still a good alround lens as stated.
1 Aug 2009 7:29AM
thanks all for your help.
Graywolf e2
7 999 United Kingdom
1 Aug 2009 8:25PM
A true macro lens will give you a 1:1 ratio, that is a life size image on the sensor (or film)

The Sima 70 - 300 is a telephoto lens with a 'macro' facility. What this means is that it has quite a short minimum focus distance but it won't give you a life size image on the sensor.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.