Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Confused about lens compatibility Canon EOS 20D / 300D

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

conrad
conrad  910873 forum posts116 Constructive Critique Points
8 Feb 2005 - 4:18 AM

Im trying to make sense of a few specifications of cameras on my wish list. Can anyone explain the following specifications on the Canon sites to me (since Canon are not answering my queries):

Canon EOS 300D: "Compatible with all Canon EF lenses." Not EF-S? If so, why is it sold in a kit with an EF-S lens?

Canon EOS 20D: "Compatible with Canon EF/EF-S lenses." So, more lenses than the 300D? But why not "all EF", like in the 300D description? Is it only a limited number of EF lenses for the 20D? And if so, which ones?

And about other lens brands: I know about the Sigma problems with Canon DSLR compatibility, but how about Tamron, Soligor, Cosina?

Any light anyone can shed on this is highly appreciated!

Conrad

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
8 Feb 2005 - 4:18 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139385 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
8 Feb 2005 - 4:19 AM

The Canon 300D is compatible with EF-S lenses. There is no doubt about that whatever! Smile

There are just 3 EF-S lenses at present: 10-22, 18-55 and 17-85. No doubt there will be more in due course.

conrad
8 Feb 2005 - 4:23 AM

Thanks, CB. That just leaves my 4 questions about the 20D, and one about other brands...

Conrad

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139385 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
8 Feb 2005 - 4:27 AM

I think my response has answered ALL your questions on the 20D.

I personally would not buy cheap lenses to put on an expensive camera. Better to buy a cheap camera and put on expensive lenses! So can't help you with the other queries.

conrad
8 Feb 2005 - 4:29 AM

Errr... let me see if I get this right, CB - do you consider all other brands as "cheap", or all EF lenses, or ... - Im not sure exactly what you mean. I know Cosina is considered to be cheap, and probably Soligor as well, maybe Tamron (although some of their lenses have won amazing numbers of awards), but I think youd get opposition if you attacked Sigma, right?

Conrad

Edit: Your reply, CB, was only about EF-S lenses. Not about EF. And your last post confuses me. Is that remark about cheap just about other brands than Canon, or about EF as well?

conrad
8 Feb 2005 - 4:44 AM

Does anyone else know this?

Quote: Canon EOS 20D: "Compatible with Canon EF/EF-S lenses." So, more lenses than the 300D? But why not "all EF", like in the 300D description? Is it only a limited number of EF lenses for the 20D? And if so, which ones?

Conrad

Carabosse
8 Feb 2005 - 4:44 AM

All Canon EOS cameras are compatible with all EF lenses.

I have never (and wouldn't) used a non-Canon lens on a Canon camera.

conrad
8 Feb 2005 - 4:51 AM

Ah, okay, that explains your reaction, CB, and answers several more questions. Thanks.

Conrad

P.S. I think I can understand that attitude, although I have to add that my wife has a really nice Sigma macro lens for her 300D which I would hate to call cheap or inferior. But, having said that, I would probably prefer just Canon as well if I bought, for instance, a 20D. It would probably become a step-by-step purchase plan that way, though, but theres nothing wrong with that.

Carabosse
8 Feb 2005 - 5:00 AM

My only experience with a non-Canon lens on a Canon (a Tamron I received as a gift) was not a happy one and that probably has influenced me somewhat!

But I will repeat: it is better to put a a high-quality and expensive lens on a cheaper camera than the other way around.

conrad
8 Feb 2005 - 5:05 AM

That makes sense as a principle to live by, CB. Im just trying to find out whether or not I would be able to use lenses already in our possession (my wifes and mine) until I could buy something really nice. Id probably start with buying just the body, or the body and the kit lens, and then building up a range of nice lenses one by one. Still just a wish right now, but being able to do it that way, would bring this a lot closer.

Thanks for your input.

Conrad

Carabosse
8 Feb 2005 - 5:06 AM

I would wait and see what Canon announces in the next couple of weeks. There may be a successor to the 300D.

conrad
8 Feb 2005 - 5:17 AM

Yes, I know - an 8.2 Megapixel 350D, so it seems. But I hear theres some doubt as to whether the Japanese are restricting it to their domestic market or not.

Conrad

Carabosse
8 Feb 2005 - 5:23 AM

The 350D is just "vapourware" at the moment. The megapixellge of the 300D's successor is not known but they will want some "space" between it and the 20D/1D Mk II I would have thought.

deviant
deviant  103024 forum posts United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
8 Feb 2005 - 5:30 AM

I heard it was a 16 MPixel full frame camera for 300! Then I woke up to a strong smell of coffee.

conrad
8 Feb 2005 - 5:35 AM

Well, we can dream, cant we. Smile

Conrad

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.