Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Confused about studio lighting kit!

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    wasper
    wasper e2 Member 8532 forum postswasper vcard Ireland1 Constructive Critique Points
    11 Mar 2010 - 4:25 AM

I am in the processes of investing in one. But I see some are Fluorescent Heads, Halogen Heads & Tungsten Heads. So which one is suited for portraits?

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    11 Mar 2010 - 4:25 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

miked70
    miked70  5225 forum posts South Africa3 Constructive Critique Points
    11 Mar 2010 - 7:34 AM

these are continious type light,i prefer flash they all do the same light the model some will need lots of power Halogen Heads & Tungsten Heads other needs lots of tubes.
    Halogen Heads & Tungsten Heads make lots of heat with all of these you are limited to the modifer you can fit they need to be flame proof etc i would go fo 0ne 300 watt flash and a bounce board to start with and build from there.
    the lights you are talking about age and the colour temp will shift then you fit a new globe and it is not the same,etc,etc. a studio flash of 300 watts with a on time of 1/2 sec gives you 150 watts of light a 300 watt continious light on for the same time gives you 0.041666 of a watt light. so unless you want a studio to look like a football studium go for flash

arhb
    arhb e2 Member 72328 forum postsarhb vcard United Kingdom68 Constructive Critique Points
    11 Mar 2010 - 9:37 AM

Hi Thair,
    for portraits it might be worth considering flash heads. Reason being, your subject's pupils/eyes will adjust to continuous lighting, whereas with flash heads, the eyes dont have time to adjust.
    I recently purchased an Elinchrom d-lite 2 flash-head kit, which I'm very pleased with.

wasper
    wasper e2 Member 8532 forum postswasper vcard Ireland1 Constructive Critique Points
    11 Mar 2010 - 10:45 PM

Thanks so far for the input. Great help

QP
    QP  4
    8 Apr 2010 - 6:36 PM

Yes I agree with the above. The lights you're talking about are continuous lighting which are better used for product and still life types of shots. A pair of strobes 200-400w will keep you going for some time before you feel the urge to start experimenting and these are best suited for portrait work. It really depends on what you shoot most.

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.