Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

Confused about studio lighting kit!

wasper e2
8 532 1 Ireland
11 Mar 2010 4:25AM
I am in the processes of investing in one. But I see some are Fluorescent Heads, Halogen Heads & Tungsten Heads. So which one is suited for portraits?

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

miked70 5 225 3 South Africa
11 Mar 2010 7:34AM
these are continious type light,i prefer flash they all do the same light the model some will need lots of power Halogen Heads & Tungsten Heads other needs lots of tubes.
Halogen Heads & Tungsten Heads make lots of heat with all of these you are limited to the modifer you can fit they need to be flame proof etc i would go fo 0ne 300 watt flash and a bounce board to start with and build from there.
the lights you are talking about age and the colour temp will shift then you fit a new globe and it is not the same,etc,etc. a studio flash of 300 watts with a on time of 1/2 sec gives you 150 watts of light a 300 watt continious light on for the same time gives you 0.041666 of a watt light. so unless you want a studio to look like a football studium go for flash
arhb e2
7 2.5k 68 United Kingdom
11 Mar 2010 9:37AM
Hi Thair,
for portraits it might be worth considering flash heads. Reason being, your subject's pupils/eyes will adjust to continuous lighting, whereas with flash heads, the eyes dont have time to adjust.
I recently purchased an Elinchrom d-lite 2 flash-head kit, which I'm very pleased with.
wasper e2
8 532 1 Ireland
11 Mar 2010 10:45PM
Thanks so far for the input. Great help
QP 4 16
8 Apr 2010 6:36PM
Yes I agree with the above. The lights you're talking about are continuous lighting which are better used for product and still life types of shots. A pair of strobes 200-400w will keep you going for some time before you feel the urge to start experimenting and these are best suited for portrait work. It really depends on what you shoot most.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.