Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Confusing Hard Drive Space

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    silver_stoat
    24 Jan 2013 - 3:51 PM

I have 2 physical internal hard drives, a 250 Gb HD that holds all the system files, 2nd HD is a Samsung 1 TB sata mostly for storing photos. OS is Win 7 64 bit
    If I go into Windows Explorer and select all folders on the Samsung 1Tb drive ( Show All Files is selected in Folder & Search Options) then right click on all files on this drive it shows a total of 451 Gb of files, so does that mean I have approx 549 gb (minus what OS has grabbed for itself) left to play with?.
    If I move into the left pane and right click on drive E: (the 1 TB hd) and select properties, the piechart shows Used Space at 827gb and 74 gb of free space. If this is correct then I'll need to look for another Hd sonner than later.

Am I reading things wrong here, perhaps having a senior momentSmile cos Right clicking on ALL Files tells me I have only used 451 gb of space minus whatever the OS grabs for itself, but right clicking on the drive letter tells me I've used 827 gb of space incl' whatever space OS grabs for itself, aand 74 gb free space.

Hope the above makes a bit sense cos I'm no I.T guy, How do I know what which is correct.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    24 Jan 2013 - 3:51 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

StuartAt
    StuartAt e2 Member 91033 forum postsStuartAt vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
    24 Jan 2013 - 4:17 PM

A formatted drive will always give you less available space than the drive is billed as. So a 1TB drive will never give 1TB of storage once it has been formatted. That said, your numbers look too out of synch to simply be due to formatting differences. My guess is that you have one or more hidden files (probably system or indexing files) in the root of your E drive that are consuming a large amount of space; when you select the folder, you aren't including these files.

I tend to always unhide system or hidden folders on my machines so I can see everything that is there. You can do this in Win7 64 bit by going to Folder Options (menu in file explorer window) and selecting 'Show hidden files, folders and drives' in the View tab.

justin c
    justin c  104526 forum posts England36 Constructive Critique Points
    24 Jan 2013 - 4:17 PM

Right clicking on the drive letter and selecting Properties gives an accurate reading as to used and free disc capacity.

mikehit
    mikehit  56435 forum posts United Kingdom9 Constructive Critique Points
    24 Jan 2013 - 5:12 PM

I would agree with justin. The 'properties' gives the actual availability. The 'show all' may be different due to hidden files etc.

blastedkane
    24 Jan 2013 - 5:18 PM

Just a thought, Have you deleted much and have you emptied the trash can, sometimes until the trash can is emptied then windows can register these files on the HD in order to restore at a later date.

silver_stoat
    24 Jan 2013 - 7:31 PM

System Restore has been turned off on E: drive (1TB), Folder & Search Options is set to View All Files, indexing has been turned off so ALL files on E drive should be visible.

Turning off Windows Search in Services has gained me a little more space. If I right click Drive E then properties I get Used Space 805GB, Free Space 96.2 GB, Capacity 901 GB
    If I select all the folders in Drive E: then right click properties the total amount of files is 428 GB I would have thought from the space used by the files on drive E: I'd have about 470 gb free space left and NOT 96 GB

StuartAt
    StuartAt e2 Member 91033 forum postsStuartAt vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
    24 Jan 2013 - 7:53 PM

You could try using something like this. Not tried it myself, but might give you the answer.

p12owe
    p12owe  1101 forum posts United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
    24 Jan 2013 - 7:59 PM

Have you run chkdsk.exe?

I had an identical problem on my drive running windows XP. I ran chkdsk, ticked "fix errors" and hey presto ... found 200gb of missing space!

Might take a while on a 1tb drive but if you definitely have no hidden files, and your not using this disk for your paging file, it's probably worth a worth a try.

silver_stoat
    24 Jan 2013 - 8:09 PM

I'll give Chkdsk a try and see how it goes, thanks

Bridgelayer
    25 Jan 2013 - 8:23 PM

Right click on My Computer > Manage > Disk Management and you will find out more accurately, possibly, and if there are any disk errors.
    Hope this helps. Smile

silver_stoat
    25 Jan 2013 - 11:45 PM

Ran chkdsk no errors showing or extra partitions. Ended up just temporary copying all important files photos/music onto the system HD, reformatted the 1 Tb drive (took ages) and all seems to be well again. Reported back 931 gb of free space so were all sorted now. Thanks folks for the suggestions. Photos back where they were and all is well again.

Term
    Term e2 Member 885 forum postsTerm vcard England9 Constructive Critique Points
    8 Feb 2013 - 12:32 PM

if you're continually moving files around on the larger drive, in future mite it be worth a regular defrag ? mite stop this from happening again....

mlewis
    mlewis  91476 forum posts United Kingdom
    8 Feb 2013 - 3:17 PM

Quote: If you're continually moving files around on the larger drive, in future mite it be worth a regular defrag ? mite stop this from happening again....

Windows 7 does this automatically in the background unless that function is disabled.

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.