Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Considering a m43

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

New PortraitPro 12 SALE + 10% OFF code EPZROS814
John_N2008
20 Oct 2012 - 7:47 PM

Hi,

First off I'll start off with a bit of kit background - I've a Canon 5D3, some pretty good lenses and a few flashes, so I'm used to a pretty high standard IQ wise form my kit (even if I don't do it justice).

I'm a bit of a generalist, doing anything from birds in flight at 500mm to 5x macro work with the MP-E, some studio stuff with the HiLite & three head kit, all as an enthusiastic amateur.
I will say that I do alot of work at shallow depths of fields (within my price range), so 1.8, 2.8 etc

However two problems came up recently - the first was trying to film my daughters first bike ride without stabailsters, where I quickly ran into the fact that SLRs don't autofocus at all well in movie mode (and are noisy), I failed with te SLR, pulled out the 60 point and shoot and that did the job, but the IQ was ropy.

The second was I had a training course in London and frankly the idea of falling asleep on the training and waking up with my camera bag missing made me ditch the big stuff and borrow my daughters 450D as it was much smaller, but with poor night shooting capabilities.

Long story short I started thinking about m43's and although I don;t see me dropping the Canon SLR any time soon, I could sell once of the lenses (of flashes) and pick up a NEX-5 of Panny GF (or maybe G5) - something along those lines.

The problem is I've yet to see any good movies of kids riding bikes, running or whatever to know if they're any good and I've yet to see any images with real "pop" but I hope you can put me straight on this.

So what do you think, what model should I go for? Should I just not bother?

What do you suggest???

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
20 Oct 2012 - 7:47 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

mdpontin
mdpontin  106016 forum posts Scotland
20 Oct 2012 - 7:52 PM

My personal recommendation given would be for the Olympus OM-D E-M5, John. I'd recommend you have a browse on this forum topic - lots of useful information about the camera system, and you'll find there's people into macro, and birds in flight too.

John_N2008
20 Oct 2012 - 8:02 PM

Really?

Its at the steep end price wise though, even on import around 800 - quite a lot for a dabble I will take a good look though.

EDIT - You're right on macro - some nice close-ups in there.

Last Modified By John_N2008 at 20 Oct 2012 - 8:05 PM
newfocus
newfocus  8644 forum posts United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
20 Oct 2012 - 8:02 PM

I used an E-PL1 for a while a year or two back as a smaller alternative alongside a 5D II and enjoyed it with some reservations. My thoughts on the format were:

- The image quality for casual use and documentary stuff was excellent, definitely way beyond a compact.
- The lenses I used (mostly a 14mm prime, i.e. 28mm equivalent) were probably above the quality I'm used to for equivalent SLR lenses.
- Onboard B&W processing combined with good lenses created some great in-camera images.
- I missed the overall SLR image quality for anything I was putting a lot of effort into. I wouldn't choose the smaller format personally for commercial work.
- I missed a proper optical viewfinder (admittedly didn't try an additional electronic viewfinder).
- I actually found I preferred the stability of the larger size when shooting hand held.
- The E-PL1 plus a couple of lenses still wasn't small enough to be in the pocket portable.

Just my personal views - I release a lot of this is down to individual tastes.

Last Modified By newfocus at 20 Oct 2012 - 8:06 PM
Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315219 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
20 Oct 2012 - 8:44 PM

Quote: The problem is I've yet to see any good movies of kids riding bikes, running or whatever to know if they're any good and I've yet to see any images with real "pop" but I hope you can put me straight on this

If its not going to replace your dslr kit but you want usable video I`d be looking at something like the Sony RX100, and not micro four thirds.

Quote: lots of useful information about the camera system, and you'll find there's people into macro, and birds in flight too

There are easier ways to skin a cat Smile

steve_p
steve_p  81096 forum posts England
20 Oct 2012 - 8:45 PM

Quote: I used an E-PL1 for a while a year or two back as a smaller alternative alongside a 5D II and enjoyed it with some reservations. My thoughts on the format were:

- The image quality for casual use and documentary stuff was excellent, definitely way beyond a compact.
- The lenses I used (mostly a 14mm prime, i.e. 28mm equivalent) were probably above the quality I'm used to for equivalent SLR lenses.
- Onboard B&W processing combined with good lenses created some great in-camera images.
- I missed the overall SLR image quality for anything I was putting a lot of effort into. I wouldn't choose the smaller format personally for commercial work.
- I missed a proper optical viewfinder (admittedly didn't try an additional electronic viewfinder).
- I actually found I preferred the stability of the larger size when shooting hand held.
- The E-PL1 plus a couple of lenses still wasn't small enough to be in the pocket portable.

Just my personal views - I release a lot of this is down to individual tastes.

Along similar lines I used to own a 7D, sold it for financial reasons and bought Panasonic G2 which was at reasonable cost.
The last 3 points above applied exactly to me, plus the fact that I found low light performance wasnt great, nor was the quality of the 45-200 telephoto that great either.
I know people will say that the Olympus OMD5 addresses the quality issues but at a high cost.

Last Modified By steve_p at 20 Oct 2012 - 8:46 PM
Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315219 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
20 Oct 2012 - 8:48 PM

I use both the G2 and the OMD, there completely different beast, the G2 is not nice at all Smile

joshwa
joshwa ePHOTOzine Staff 3601 forum postsjoshwa vcard United Kingdom
20 Oct 2012 - 8:51 PM

The Olympus PEN Mini E-PM2, and Olympus PEN Lite E-PL5 have the same sensor as the OM-D E-M5 - and are considerably cheaper - admittedly they don't feature the same awesome IS as the E-M5, but they should be almost as good for video. (The E-M5 video IS beats the optical lens based Panasonic IS by a mile, but then Panasonics do have better video options generally).

User_Removed
20 Oct 2012 - 8:54 PM

Quote: My personal recommendation given would be for the Olympus OM-D E-M5, John. I'd recommend you have a browse on this forum topic - lots of useful information about the camera system, and you'll find there's people into macro, and birds in flight too.

Can't argue with that. I use the Oly OM-D as an alternative to my Nikon D800. Chalk and cheese - but that's the whole point of alternatives imho.

John_N2008
20 Oct 2012 - 8:58 PM

Thanks guys - funily enough a mate of mine suggested at least for the video side a Sanyo Xacti CA100, cheap, waterproof and apparently good focus in video - thoughts?

Paul Morgan
20 Oct 2012 - 9:00 PM

I definitely pick Pens over Panasonic`s any day, I think they pack in more useful features like IS and off camera flash support and I`m not keen on Panasonic`s auto white balance, find there`s too much magenta.

mikehit
mikehit  56329 forum posts United Kingdom9 Constructive Critique Points
20 Oct 2012 - 9:01 PM

The ultimate video quality until very recently is the GH2 and with the release of GH3 the prices may well start dropping.

Paul Morgan
20 Oct 2012 - 9:29 PM

GH2`s are fine if you have decent software to edit video Smile

John_N2008
20 Oct 2012 - 10:33 PM

Sounds a hassle - I'd want something good(ish) without shed loads of editing.

Paul Morgan
20 Oct 2012 - 11:27 PM

Why not just get a decent high end compact.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.