Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Considering a m43

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

lemmy
lemmy  71897 forum posts United Kingdom
23 Oct 2012 - 7:36 PM

Quote: With more complex cameras, by the time you've fiddled around the 'decisive moment']

With Panasonics, just press the video 'go' button on the back. For stills, push intelligent auto and simply push the shutter. Believe me, a great deal quicker than opening the photo app on a smart phone.

'More complex' cameras are normally well enough designed that they have this facility.

Do you normally walk around with your phone in your hand 'ready to shoot'? Or do you have it in your pocket? Most photographers will walk around with their camera round their neck or over their shoulder. Put it to the eye and press.....

a phone is quicker already?

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
23 Oct 2012 - 7:36 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315479 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
23 Oct 2012 - 7:49 PM

Quote: I agree. I'm sure it helps get more spontaneity. With more complex cameras, by the time you've fiddled around the 'decisive moment', as Cartier-Bresson would have said, may be gone

The so called decisive moment isn`t restricted to just street photography Smile

Like any other form of photography most people would have there camera set up in a certain way preventing missed shots.

With my x10, I switch to manual focus and use this predictively, no shutter lag and up to 10 fps Smile

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139497 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
24 Oct 2012 - 12:49 AM

Quote: Like any other form of photography most people would have there camera set up in a certain way preventing missed shots.

Yes, but you have to anticipate that you are going to use the camera. Days/weeks/months may go by without a photo-worthy spontaneous moment.

Something which you have with you at all times and can be pressed into action without faffing around is rather useful. Smile

These days if we hung around on the streets like Cartier-Bresson used to do (below), we'd probably be arrested or subjected to busybody/vigilante action. Lol! Wink

1-c-b.jpg

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315479 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
24 Oct 2012 - 1:02 AM

Quote: Something which you have with you at all times and can be pressed into action without faffing around is rather useful

Quote: we'd probably be arrested or subjected to busybody/vigilante action. Lol!

Lol I don`t carry a mobile Smile

lemmy
24 Oct 2012 - 12:12 PM

Quote: Yes, but you have to anticipate that you are going to use the camera.

I always carry a camera. I use a Panasonic G3 with the 14-42mm compact zoom. I hang around with a camera often and have never, ever had a problem with anyone.

As an ex news photographer, I think mainly in terms of taking pictures to sell and pix taken on a mobile phone make that rather difficult in that they lack the quality necessary for library use.
A phone camera will suffice if you come across something newsworthy enough. The importance of the event makes any image valuable.

But if you want to maximise the use of your pictures, bigger is always better.

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139497 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
24 Oct 2012 - 12:16 PM

Quote: I think mainly in terms of taking pictures to sell and pix taken on a mobile phone make that rather difficult in that they lack the quality necessary for library use.

That may be about to change with results like this.

lemmy
24 Oct 2012 - 12:30 PM

Quote: That may be about to change

We are miles apart on this. I do not regard pixel count as the mark of a camera's quality. Neither do I regard a panel of camera phone users as the arbiter of it.

This is a camera phone. It has little versatility. Serious photography requires control and quick access to it. The Nokia does not have that.

I can guarantee you that my agent knows professional work from amateur snapshotting. So do the clients. For casual photography the Nokia and upcoming camera phones will be fine.

lobsterboy
lobsterboy Site Moderator 1014152 forum postslobsterboy vcard United Kingdom13 Constructive Critique Points
24 Oct 2012 - 12:51 PM

Got to agree with Lemmy on this. My little Olympus sits is so much faster and precise to use than my camera phone. The phone can produce some excellent results but it is seriously lacking in versatility compared to a dedicated system.

Carabosse
24 Oct 2012 - 1:08 PM

Quote: I can guarantee you that my agent knows professional work from amateur snapshotting.

Of course - but isn't it amazing how much camera phone stuff (mainly video, but stills as well) gets into the major media these days!

That's because the device is right there, when the camera may be at home or in the boot of the car.

Paul Morgan
24 Oct 2012 - 1:13 PM

Quote: that's because the device is right there, when the camera may be at home or in the boot of the car

Probably due to the fact that 99% of mobile phone users don`t own a camera at all Smile

Carabosse
24 Oct 2012 - 1:20 PM

Quote:

Probably due to the fact that 99% of mobile phone users don`t own a camera at all Smile

99% may be a bit high but certainly a large proportion - these days - may regard their camera phone as the only camera they actually need. Smile

User_Removed
24 Oct 2012 - 4:11 PM

Quote: due to the fact that 99% of mobile phone users don`t own a camera at all

"Due to the fact"? It's a fact is it?

I've got a fact: When people make figures up off the top of their heads and post them in the forum it's not good for their credibility. Tongue

lemmy
24 Oct 2012 - 5:15 PM

My brother recently interviewed someone for a job who told him that he put in '110%' effort. He told the person that he doesn't take on anyone too lazy to give at least 200%.

I thought it so unfair that my head literally exploded, the second time this week that I had had this unique experience. Mind you, it happened at 8am in the morning so maybe he was over-optimistic and second-guessed the guy too much. The fact is that 99% of people with phones do not have cameras except the ones who do.

Anyway, that is enough. I offer my condolences to all on this thread. This photo thread family is a very close-knit community and asks that the forum allows them time to come to terms with their percentages in private.

Grin Smile Wink

Paul Morgan
24 Oct 2012 - 7:42 PM

Quote: I've got a fact: When people make figures up off the top of their heads and post them in the forum it's not good for their credibility

Yes a figure off the top of my head, and I guess that figure is pretty close, simply take a look at the average family.

keith selmes
24 Oct 2012 - 9:31 PM

from Mintel in June 2012

Today, as many as 80% of all consumers capture photos with a digital camera or camcorder and some four in ten (40%) only use a digital camera or camcorder. This compares to almost half (45%) of consumers who use their smartphone to capture photo or video. Meanwhile, the traditional film-camera is used by just 8% of all Brits.

more at http://www.mintel.com/press-centre/press-releases/890/sales-of-digital-cameras-d...

Meanwhile 92% have mobile phones.
http://www.mobilemastinfo.com/stats-and-facts/

The figures might not be directly comparable, but if they're showing 92% UK adults have mobile phones, and 80% UK consumers use cameras or camcorders, it seems very unlikely that 99% of mobile phone users don't have a camera.

The main camera manufacturers don't seem phased by the cameraphone increase, they regard the P&S compact market as small
margin and undesirable, and expect to pick up extra consumers as more people are introduced to photography via their phone, and move on to something better.
See here http://www.wares.co.nz/feature-stories/wares-april-2012/digital-imaging-the-race...
"citing the potential for phone savvy consumers to cross over into the camera market: “Smartphones are bringing millions of people to photography. People are taking pictures more often with their phones and starting to realise that there is life beyond their phones."

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.