Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

Considering a m43

Paul Morgan e2
13 16.1k 6 England
24 Oct 2012 10:56PM

Quote:The figures might not be directly comparable

Unlikely unless they count children as consumers Smile

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

User_Removed 10 3.3k 4 United Kingdom
24 Oct 2012 11:12PM

Quote:Yes a figure off the top of my head

So, not a fact then... A guess. Lot of difference Paul. Tongue
Paul Morgan e2
13 16.1k 6 England
24 Oct 2012 11:28PM
I`ve worked in this area, just going from experience.
25 Oct 2012 12:11AM
What area?
keith selmes 11 7.1k 1 United Kingdom
25 Oct 2012 9:13AM

Quote:Unlikely unless they count children as consumers
they might but on thse figures, 99% seems highly unlikely
Steppenwolf 3 1.1k
25 Oct 2012 9:49AM
CB quoted an internet claim that the Nokia 808 took better video than the NEX-7 and, looking at the example videos, the Nokia one was indeed better. But I think the reason it was better was that the user had absolutely no idea how to use a NEX-7. The Nokia is basically a point and shoot and the small sensor means that the AF has very little work to do as most of the frame is in focus anyway. So any fool can use it to take a decent video. The NEX-7, with its larger sensor, relies on AF (and the user selecting the appropriate focus point) and has a vast number of options to get the results you want. So it takes time to learn how to use it, which a lot of people can't be bothered to take. The beauty of these small sensor P&S devices is that they give you pretty good results with very little effort. The results wil never be pro quality though.
lemmy 7 2.0k United Kingdom
25 Oct 2012 10:12AM

Quote:But I think the reason it was better was that the user had absolutely no idea how to use a NEX-7.

As an analogy, let's take a driver at a race circuit. His own car is a fully automatic Ford Focus. He goes round the track in it and is quite quick.

Also present is a F1 McClaren. He climbs into the unfamiliar and complicated cockpit and sets off. To no-one's amazement, he is quicker in his own car than the McClaren.

This proves that the Ford Focus is a better car than the McClaren according to some dumb we site survey. Dr Johnson remarked that it is a poor premise for which you cannot make a good argument. I've yet to see a good argument for this camera phone proposition.
mikehit e2
5 7.1k 11 United Kingdom
25 Oct 2012 11:42AM

Quote:I've yet to see a good argument for this camera phone proposition.

On the assumption that the best camera is the one you have with you, it is likely to be the cameraphone.
And if the user does not give a damn about ultimate quality, or the addtional functionality of the nEX-7 then who are we to say the NEX-7 is better?

Can the McClaren F1 carry the weekly shopping? If the purpose of your car is to carry people/stuff the McClaren F1 is pretty crap.
Carabosse e2
11 39.7k 269 England
25 Oct 2012 1:06PM

Quote:On the assumption that the best camera is the one you have with you, it is likely to be the cameraphone.

That is the point, the whole point and nothing but the point! Grin

A high proportion of people, nowadays, carry a camera phone everywhere with them. It is likely that the vast majority will also have a 'proper' camera of some sort lying around in the household even if it an old film camera.
Carabosse e2
11 39.7k 269 England
25 Oct 2012 3:16PM
Here is an example of a short sequence, shot today, only because I happened to have an imaging device on me (Canon S100). Nothing earth shattering I know, but just an example of a bit of 'spontaneous PJ', so to speak. I've entitled it "Don't Leave the Gas On". Grin (Someone left an unlit gas hob on, apparently - and went away on holiday).

gas-leak03.jpg

gas-leak01.jpg

gas-leak02.jpg

gas-leak04.jpg

25 Oct 2012 4:12PM
Totally how I feel about my S100. Faster, more reliable and far superior quality to my camera phone. Small enough to carry all the time. Cameraphone will get there sooner or later.
lemmy 7 2.0k United Kingdom
25 Oct 2012 4:49PM
Mikehit, rarely does anyone so comprehensively miss my point Sad

This is a proposition that has run its course in my opinion so I'm outa here. I like to argue points whether I believe them or not but in the end with this one, you have to say use whatever is to hand.

In my case it will be both a phone and an M43 camera (always with me) and I will always use the M43.
Carabosse e2
11 39.7k 269 England
25 Oct 2012 5:04PM

Quote:an M43 camera (always with me)

Well that's absolutely fine but, compact as they are, not everyone will want to carry an M4/3 around with them all the time. I certainly don't, hence the Canon S100. Sometimes I don't even want to carry that, especially in the summer, and that's where the camera phone comes in. Smile

I exepct the OP has long lost any interest in this thread. Grin But in case he is still looking in and still interested in M4/3, he may want to consider the Olympus E-PM2 twin-lens kit as fitting the bill- if he is prepared to carry something a bit bigger than a compact - but still wants really good IQ (it has the same sensor as the OM-D). Another possibility might be to get the same camera body but with the Panasonic pancake zoom . It would need to be tried in a shop but E-PM2 + pancake zoom might just fit in a coat pocket.

Otherwise just get a decent compact.
25 Oct 2012 5:05PM

Quote:A high proportion of people, nowadays, carry a camera phone everywhere with them. It is likely that the vast majority will also have a 'proper' camera of some sort lying around in the household even if it an old film camera.
And the "proper" camera is the one they use when photography is premeditated, the special occasions, days out, holidays etc. That is what I find in personal experience with people I talk to, and what I find from surveys published in the last 12 months. Canon, Nikon and Fuji seem to think this will be a trend. The phone will replace bottom feeder P&S compacts, but also create a new market segment of consumers wanting a better camera than the one in their phone.
25 Oct 2012 5:09PM

Quote:I exepct the OP has long lost any interest in this thread.
probably too busy doing movies on the new camera

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.