Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Considering a m43

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

New PortraitPro 12 SALE + 10% OFF code EPZROS814
John_N2008
5 Nov 2012 - 10:13 PM

The E-PM1 does look good, but again it brings it back to not being pocketable, if I want to get the best image and don't mind carting a bag about then I'll just bring my SLR.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
5 Nov 2012 - 10:13 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

John_N2008
5 Nov 2012 - 10:16 PM

I'm sure the XZ-1 is great in many respects, but then I found this - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UAdCYw_xMJw Sad

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315182 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
5 Nov 2012 - 10:36 PM

Yep, that`s normal, all camera`s including dslrs will behave like that.

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139395 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
6 Nov 2012 - 1:00 AM

Maybe work backwards on this.............. what is your intended end-result? Smile

Do you print your photos and, if so, how large? Or are you planning to post photos on the web.......... if so, again how large?

We can get awfully worked up about whether one device will provide 5% better quality than another. Then we just post small pics on the web or on Facebook!

And how do you plan to share your videos? On YouTube/Vimeo or on a very large screen TV?

Last Modified By Carabosse at 6 Nov 2012 - 1:02 AM
Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315182 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
6 Nov 2012 - 2:42 AM

AF speed and tracking seems high on the list.

The tracking bit will rule out a compact Sad

John_N2008
6 Nov 2012 - 7:36 AM

Morning,

I almost never print, but do publish online and produce video of the kids for the family.
I am upgrading the IXUS 115 and know no compact will come up to the 5D3 but have found the video on that unforgiving compared to the 115, that plus its size makes it better for days out with the family where the SLR is just a bit too big.

I don't want a dedicated handycam as I just would end up leaving it at home.

Having kids being able to keep focus is a biggie for me and if you have kids you'll know they really do move about, much quicker than I ever thought they could before I had them if you follow me and having some level of zoom is a must too as I often zoom in to make to take a head shot.

I've now ruled out a few:

M43's - Don't want to build up another lens library as the budget doesn't allow for it - plus with the lens on they become another bag needing camera.
Sony RX100 - To expensive
Sony HX20V - I don't like the watercolour look when you take a closer look at the images (find one on flicker then look at any size larger than the standard ones and you'll see)
XZ-1 - Due to the focusing issue I saw above - and not all do this, my 115 doesn't for example.

Cheers for reading this long version Smile

Last Modified By John_N2008 at 6 Nov 2012 - 7:07 PM
Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139395 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
6 Nov 2012 - 9:27 AM

Ironically what you really seem to need is a small-sensor (thus very short focal length) camera, so that the depth of field is so considerable, focusing becomes almost a non-issue. Smile

Carabosse
6 Nov 2012 - 11:28 AM

Here is my new, and inexpensive, stealth device which arrived today (about 70). Smile

I'm just charging it up. It has the advantage it looks like a mobile phone and can be held vertically, even when recording in 16:9 landscape format (1080p) video. 8Mp stills. Focal length is 4.1mm so, although it has AF, the system will not be worked very hard. Fixed f2.8 aperture. FF equiv is 39mm for 4:3 stills and 49mm for 16:9 video.

(In theory it is something I should not really need, given I have a smartphone with a decent enough camera but unfortunately the ergonomics of the phone make it difficult to use for imaging.... dropped the damn thing a couple of times now.)

The reviews and YouTube videos I've seen seem promising. I am going to give it a try. I can't recommend it, just at present, but I throw it in as a possibility.

1-stealth.jpg

lemmy
lemmy  71831 forum posts United Kingdom
6 Nov 2012 - 12:25 PM

I hate the B******s who make these sort of things. They make them so damned pretty you want one whether you have any use for it or not.

Maybe I'm lucky that there are enough things that I really can make use of (honest, guv Wink) that I can talk myself out of things like your videocam there.....on the other hand it would be very handy for when I'm.....no, no no.

Carabosse
6 Nov 2012 - 12:34 PM

Quote: I hate the B******s who make these sort of things. They make them so damned pretty you want one whether you have any use for it or not.

Totally agree with you, David! Grin

But, at the price, it's no great disaster even if it is really something I don't really and truly need...... less than the cost of a full tank of petrol. Actually I've taken a few test shots (stills) already indoors and they look kinda OK. But I need to take it out and try it properly.

Carabosse
6 Nov 2012 - 12:53 PM

Just a quick, hand-held, macro with the Panny TA2. Not too bad for such a tiny (1/4.1") sensor? OK for web use, perhaps.

The leaves are on a textured surface (chopping board) in case you think the b/g looks slightly "noisy". Grin

leaves.jpg

Last Modified By Carabosse at 6 Nov 2012 - 12:57 PM
lemmy
lemmy  71831 forum posts United Kingdom
6 Nov 2012 - 1:24 PM

Quote: it's no great disaster even if it is really something I don't really and truly need

Just want to stress that I didn't in any way mean you didn't need it. Just that I know I don't but....................

Carabosse
6 Nov 2012 - 1:33 PM

Quote: Just want to stress that I didn't in any way mean you didn't need it.

I think it is more "want" than "need", in my case. Wink

I see it as something I can use very discreetly, even more so than a camera phone - because of the ability to take landscape format stills/video even when holding the device vertically. Time will tell if this was a silly purchase.... but , hey, you can pay that much for a filter! Grin

Paul Morgan
6 Nov 2012 - 4:22 PM

Quote: XZ-1 - Due to the focusing issue I saw above - and not all do this, my 115 doesn't for example

There was no focusing issue, it was simply a case of a video being set up in a way to look bad, any camera with video set to continuous focus will perform like that under those conditions.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lJJhOH1hPkA&playnext=1&list=PL3D7670A48E7...

John_N2008
6 Nov 2012 - 11:43 PM

lol, you've no idea how much time I've spent looking at images and reviews of the XZ-1 as you guys are so keen, but its just not sitting well with me - just a few things 720p video for example, you;re right though the images do look good.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.