Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Considering a m43

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

55% OFF new PortraitPro 12 - use code EPHZROS414.
Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139367 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
7 Nov 2012 - 12:23 AM

It's a pity we haven't had more comments from people with experience of running around after their kids trying to take decent video! Wink

These days 1080p video is de rigueur, I would say. Even my cheapo device on the previous page, has that.

If you are looking to update your Ixus, perhaps do what I did when I updated my Ixus: try a Canon S100. My reason for updating the compact was the video, not the stills. The video on the S100 is very good........ pretty much on par, overall, with that of my Olympus OM-D, and it has a higher bitrate than the Oly as well.

If you buy from a retailer which has a generous returns period (e.g. 30 days) you can give it a try and, if it does not suit you, return it.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
7 Nov 2012 - 12:23 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1214391 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
7 Nov 2012 - 1:38 AM

Quote: It's a pity we haven't had more comments from people with experience of running around after their kids trying to take decent video!

I have, there`s been video mode in compacts for donkeys years, its certainly no more difficult now than its ever been, I think some people need to practice more with there techniques and stop blaming the cameras Smile

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139367 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
7 Nov 2012 - 9:54 AM

Quote: I think some people need to practice more with there techniques and stop blaming the cameras

Fair comment! I should have added, the reason I changed from the Ixus to the S100 was the audio quality. The Ixus was all too good at picking up its own sounds! Grin

John_N2008
7 Nov 2012 - 5:34 PM

I did consider the S100, long and hard but ultimately wasn't that struck - my method was to find a flickr stream that had just that camera look at all the images to get a feel for what was being taken and how it looked then pick a sharp looking few and zoom in - not the most scientific, but that worked for me, I did much the same on youtube\vimeo.

What you say about learning to use the camera is valid, but to go all odd for a moment I often think of kit like this - if you're going to run a race you get the best trainers you can afford, you don't turn up in tatty hobnail boots... well I wouldn't anyway Smile

John_N2008
7 Nov 2012 - 5:54 PM

There is also the thing about price, second hand the S100 goes for around 210, whereas I can get the LX7 for 255 imported.
I had thought very hard about the S110 too being drawn by the GPS (I now a gimmick and sadly via mobile) and the touchscreen

BTW did they ever fix the clicking sound that could be heard on video when zooming with the S100?

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1214391 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
7 Nov 2012 - 7:30 PM

Quote: There is also the thing about price, second hand the S100 goes for around 210, whereas I can get the LX7 for 255 imported

Then there`s the size difference, the LX7 is a compact, the S100 a sub compact, sub compacts might fit in a smaller pocket but they also have less features and no hot shoe.

John_N2008
7 Nov 2012 - 8:32 PM

I considered that and measured to ensure it will still fit I'm pleased to say.

Carabosse
8 Nov 2012 - 12:47 AM

Quote: BTW did they ever fix the clicking sound that could be heard on video when zooming with the S100?

Must have done. There is no clicking on mine. Smile

That said, you will get some sort of noise on any camera with an electronic zoom and even AF.... the built in mics are too close to the source of the noise even though it may be slight. It was very bad on the Ixus, which picked up the AF noise in particular.

lemmy
lemmy  61674 forum posts United Kingdom
8 Nov 2012 - 10:14 AM

Quote: That said, you will get some sort of noise on any camera with an electronic zoom and even AF

My Panasonic GH2 with the 'video in mind lenses', 12-35 f2.8, 14-140 and power zoom 14-42 X don't make any noise on focusing or zooming.

Of course, these items are designed with video as part of the design brief rather than as an add-on, so they have to be quiet. I do a great deal of video where any focus or zoom noise noise would be a major annoyance. Luckily, it ain't.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.