Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Considering an ipad

Willpower e2
3 219 United Kingdom
19 Sep 2012 5:17PM
Hi folks
Not sure if this in the right place but I'd like some opinions on the following situation.

I am in the process of organising a long haul holiday which will be for 16 days. I'm now thinking about photo storage whilst away and transfer back to PC on my return. So I'm considering getting an ipad as my laptop would be far too heavy to come within my baggage allowance. I did have a standalone hard drive enclosure which I used when I went to China. However that caused me all sorts of grief on my return by refusing to allow me to download the 3,000 odd pictures on it. Therefore I am not prepared to trust it again on another trip.

So as said I'm now looking to see if an ipad would suit my purposes. A 64k version would offer me storage for about 4,500 pictures ( A 32k = 2,300) and will give me the luxury of picture review and as I understand it deletion of any rubbish.
I have looked at the Canon M80, but for that price you get a one purpose item. For the same price or in fact a little less then an ipad offers numerous other functions

So, is this the way forward ? Or do I just buy loads more CF cards ? I know some of you use ipads. So can you give me any advice please before I make any investment.

Thanks in advance

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

mikehit e2
5 7.1k 11 United Kingdom
19 Sep 2012 5:32PM
Do you want to view the pictures on the move?
From your description I presume you are shooting JPEG?

The easiest answer is to take loads of CF cards but you have no backup ( if a card becomes corrupted or if you lose it).
When we went to Canada I took our 10" netbook and 2 x 1TB hard drives. I know this brings you into the realms of laptop size which you want to avoid but to me that is the quickest and safest option. I was shooting RAW so needed the space.

What camera do you have? I have got the Epson 5000 (equivalent to the M80) sitting gathering dust so may as well go somehwere. PM me if you are interested.
The less you carry the easier it is to carry it. When I travel I take loads of SD cards and sort them out when I'm home.

All depends where you're going and if you're going to stay in plush hotels with electricity. If you're traveling "rough" in developing countries staying in cheap hotels or homestay, you don't want to leave a nice iPad in your room while you're walking around and you also don't want to carry it everywhere with you.

If I were you, I would not get a desirable as it may be iPad but spend the money for the trip.
Willpower e2
3 219 United Kingdom
19 Sep 2012 5:43PM
Thanks for the reply Mikehit.
No I always shoot in RAW and I have a Canon 40D. I would take my laptop but although a good Hi Spec it is too heavy to consider taking in my 20kilo baggage limit. Viewing pictures on the move, whilst not a necessity, is advantageous as you can quickly and easily weed out those images that really are disasters.
Paul Morgan e2
13 16.1k 6 England
19 Sep 2012 5:45PM
There`s plenty of Android tablets available and they can be a lot cheaper than Ipads.
Willpower e2
3 219 United Kingdom
19 Sep 2012 5:49PM

Quote: If I were you, I would not get a desirable as it may be iPad but spend the money for the trip.

Thanks for the valid replies. As far as I can find out all the hotels have room safes. So that should be OK and the money for the trip is "ringfenced". I've now got to sort this small problem out. When I did my China trip I took over 3,000 pictures in 9 days. This trip is 16 days that's an awful lot of CF cards. I really need to look at a higher capacity storage than cards.
Willpower e2
3 219 United Kingdom
19 Sep 2012 5:54PM

Quote:There`s plenty of Android tablets available and they can be a lot cheaper than Ipads.

I agree but they are limited in capacity. I have seen the Motorola Xoom but I have yet to find anything other than 32gb.
Shooting RAW this would give me about 2,000 pictures. Based on my previous vactions/ days that's probably about half of what I expect to take.
Paul Morgan e2
13 16.1k 6 England
19 Sep 2012 5:56PM
Most use Micro SD cards, easy enough to swop around.

I`d just stock up on extra Compact flash cards, there cheap enough.
Willpower e2
3 219 United Kingdom
19 Sep 2012 6:55PM
Based on my "normal" photo taking whilst on vacation I would probably need about 16x 4gb CF cards. I don't like using larger as I dread a card going corrupt with more that a days shooting on it.
I have this morbid fear of losing all my pictures if a card goes corrupt. I've had it happen to me once. The pictures on it were irreplaceable. I never use anything larger than 4gb
Caisiel e2
2 17 Wales
19 Sep 2012 7:14PM
I've owned the first gen iPad for a long time, and cannot praise it enough and personally find it perfect for 'temporary' storage and viewing. Plus the keepers in your shots can be uploaded to iCloud for added backup. Do however get the photo input hardware that takes sd and USB inputs. They are about 25 and small allowing direct and immediate upload. If you just want storage only I'd get 3 or 4 cards and save the money. If you want viewing, browsing and limitless applications in addition to photography, the iPad is a winner (or any other suitable or equivalent tablet for that matter)...
Willpower e2
3 219 United Kingdom
19 Sep 2012 8:11PM
Thank you Caisiel.

I have found the CCK item on the Apple website for ipads and am currently searching for an equivalent for other Android devices.
lobsterboy e2
11 14.3k 13 United Kingdom
19 Sep 2012 9:40PM
I was in this situation at the end of last year and I just decided to buy a netbook.
The Netbook runs Windows 7 and has 250GB hard drive - which is nice and roomy, all for 200

I installed Downloader pro, breezebrowser (there are free alternatives for both of these but I already had licences) and Lightroom on it.
I use Downloader pro to download, add metadata & organise my photos at home, so I had it setup the same way on this machine.
Breezebrowser is efficient enough to allow me to view the raw files, cull any rubbish I need to and even resize pics for upload to my blog.
I wouldn't bother trying to process raw files in Lightroom, but I did use it to keyword all the images..which helps the time pass on a 24 hour flight.
Willpower e2
3 219 United Kingdom
19 Sep 2012 9:43PM
Another option to look into. Thankyou.
Sooty_1 e2
4 1.3k 203 United Kingdom
19 Sep 2012 11:08PM
If you have a safe in your room for an iPad, you won't be carrying it round during the day...therefore you could do the same with a netbook. That's what I'd use, along with a couple of physically small hard drives.

They wont take much more space than an iPad, but give you greater flexibility (and connect to wired Internet!) along with the software you install, as Lobsterboy says.
You can process a couple of shots but keep the originals for when you get home. It's also easier to transfer files between computers in different ways than it is with an iPad and you don't need any extras to make it work.

Nick
KevSB
10 1.5k 5 United Kingdom
19 Sep 2012 11:11PM
Most safes I've seen in hotel rooms would not fit an iPad , so it would be more than likely you would have to leave it in room which is uninsured. Spare cards are so cheap in comparison.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.