Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Considering an ipad

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Keith-Mckevitt
19 Sep 2012 - 11:13 PM

I have the 1st ipad and used to use it with the Canon 40d. As Caisel points out you can back up to icloud for extra security. I used the ipad to watch a movie on the flight, keep emailed bookings etc and to store photos on. What suits one person may not suit everyone but I've had my 1st gen ipad for a long time and cannot praise it enough. (excellent battery too). Just be careful you dont leave it in the seat pocket on the plane as it's a bit like carrying a magazine really? Wink

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
19 Sep 2012 - 11:13 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Andy80F
Andy80F  11306 forum posts United Kingdom
19 Sep 2012 - 11:41 PM

I travel with an iPad, use it for a load of things other than photography, books to read, music and a couple of films not to mention stuff like maps and travel guides. That 64Gb soon gets whittled away but should still be enough. Just as a repository for pictures its a bit costly as a solution and I'd agree with Lobsterboy and the cheap netbook idea. However if you have use for the other functions an iPad can provide then it'd be worth it, I'd certainly find travel less interesting without mine.

Andy

Willpower
Willpower  3174 forum posts United Kingdom
19 Sep 2012 - 11:51 PM

I am really very grateful for all the suggestions forthcoming. I can see the problem regarding the safe size not being big enough. Having experienced them previously. So that is one downside of anything ipad/netbook size. Something to consider.
Although I do appreciate the other ipad functions can be very useful as some of you have pointed out. Things like the Canon M80 and the Epson equivalent are hideously expensive for the single function that they perform, so unless I go for a 2nd hand one they are out of the question.
As far as internet is concerned, it is unlikely that I will get a regular signal. Therefore iCloud uploads could be very hit or miss.
As Keith says above "What suits one person may not suit everyone" but after all of the suggestions so far, I am now leaning toward a Netbook. With some having a 320gb hard drive now for under 200 they are looking more promising.

Last Modified By Willpower at 19 Sep 2012 - 11:52 PM
lobsterboy
lobsterboy Site Moderator 1014002 forum postslobsterboy vcard United Kingdom13 Constructive Critique Points
20 Sep 2012 - 6:06 AM

Quote: As far as internet is concerned, it is unlikely that I will get a regular signal. Therefore iCloud uploads could be very hit or miss.

I had my netbook set to backup to the cloud but WiFi was a problem - I was just too tight to pay posh hotel prices for Wifi!
I also carried a tiny portable HDD which lived in a separate bag to the netbook which I backed up to every night... a bit more expense but I'm a bit paranoid like that.

User_Removed
20 Sep 2012 - 10:21 AM

If you are not going before the end of October, look at the Kindle Fire HD as an alternative to iPad.

ade_mcfade
ade_mcfade  1014708 forum posts England216 Constructive Critique Points
20 Sep 2012 - 10:41 AM

I got the Galaxy Tab 2 10 inch

Would I have got it for the reasons you suggest? no....

however

Needed something for the business really - when networking, you'd see other photographers merrily showing their work on their tablet... so I needed one to compete.

Since getting it...

1 - I take it everywhere and show loads of people my work - huge advantage
2 - I usually have wifi access, so can get online and check stuff with it where ever I am
3 - I use it on shoots to show clients what the shots are like - got a free RAW reading app and card reader - they are reassured (or alerted) instantly
4 - I no longer burn my leg with the ageing laptop - these things run cool.
5 - I tend to spend hours trawling the Google Play store for cool apps - I've got ones for task lists, calendar management, twitter/facebook etc.
6 - everything links up - my PC/Phone/Tablet are synchronised all the time... rather amazing really.

Why samsung?
Cost - they are now 250 if you claim the cashback.
Storage - micro SD slot means you can add memory whenever you like, so if you had 5 32 gig cards, you could use it for backup I guess.
Big screen - I preferred the Nexus 7 in many ways, except size.... you want clients to see photos big after all.

Would I prefer a 64GIG 3G iPad - yes - but it's not needed for my usage

ade_mcfade
ade_mcfade  1014708 forum posts England216 Constructive Critique Points
20 Sep 2012 - 10:42 AM

oh - I got a USB lead for about 1.75 off EBAY.... so can connect any USB device to it now

lobsterboy
lobsterboy Site Moderator 1014002 forum postslobsterboy vcard United Kingdom13 Constructive Critique Points
20 Sep 2012 - 10:54 AM

have you tried any of the camera remote control apps for it yet Ade ?

Willpower
20 Sep 2012 - 11:06 AM

Thanks Ade.

There are so many arguments FOR a tablet and I was particularly impressed with the Samsung ( I have a GalaxyII phone)
I am still spending an inordinate amount of time doing comparisons between various tablets and various Netbooks. I have been accused by my daughter of never making my mind up, but I always get there in the end. It is extremely useful learning of others experiences. Somewhere amongst all the suggestions is my solution.
Medium term and for my requirements on vacation, I need the storage. Primarily because my investigations have shown that it's not just WiFi that's the problem, it is Internet as a whole. Very Very patchy. I can't take the chance of NOT getting a connection and therefore need to be able to store everything local.
However, long term, a tablet (be it ipad or other wise would be my preferred option). So at the moment I am still buried in the complexities of decision making.

Willpower
20 Sep 2012 - 12:01 PM

Another question has just come to mind..

IF I get a tablet with expandable memory I would then have the following workflow

RAW from Camera > Tablet > Removable card > Card reader > PC, then through post processing.

What detrimental effects would this cause to the image ?

Alternative Netbook Workflow

RAW from Camera > Netbook HDD > PC, then through post processing.

As I understand it, each time you "pass on" the information the quality of the file degrades. Is this the deciding factor? Opinions please ?

mikehit
mikehit  46103 forum posts United Kingdom9 Constructive Critique Points
20 Sep 2012 - 12:39 PM

Quote: As I understand it, each time you "pass on" the information the quality of the file degrades. Is this the deciding factor? Opinions please ?

No the data stays exactly the same. But there is a chance of copy errors the more often you copy, though error correction algorithms are pretty damned good nowadays.I think a greater risk is the device itself failing, so the more devices you have in the path the greater chance of one of them packing up. However, if you copy instead of move/delete and onnly delete when everything is doen then even this is obviated.

I think you are getting confused with the idea that if you open, edit and re-save a jpeg file the repeated compression leads to a reduction in image quality

Willpower
20 Sep 2012 - 12:52 PM

Right. Thanks Mike. So copying a file several times as long as it is not altered is relatively safe, precluding equipment failure. Would the act of moving the file instead of copying it be potentially less damaging?

What are the pros and cons for moving as opposed to copying? I use the EOS utility to download from the camera, which is copying, as the image still remains on the CF card until I reformat it. But once on my PC I sometimes move a file location as opposed to copying which will only use up more HDD space and mean the same image would be in multiple locations.

mikehit
mikehit  46103 forum posts United Kingdom9 Constructive Critique Points
20 Sep 2012 - 1:27 PM

As far as I know, a 'move' action between different drives is simply 'copy' followed by 'delete'. A 'move' between directories on the same drive is not moving the data but is changing the 'flag' that tells the operating system which directory that file is in.

Again, as far as I know, if an error happens during a 'move' between discs, the operation stops and because the original file has not been deleted then you can repeat it. But I have a natural distrust of computers and prefer to copy important data myself and delete it once I know it is safe - over the years I have had many operations cease up and go 'not repsonding' which has me breaking into a cold sweat until I know everything is OK so I prefer to take it easy.

silver_stoat
20 Sep 2012 - 3:04 PM

I was in a similar situation earlier in the year, contemplating a Ipad or netbook for storage and viewing of my photos. I decided on Acer Aspire 11.6 inch netbook as I could store more photos than the Ipad (raw), load up a lot of movies before departing on holiday if I wanted to watch one in the hotel room. I'm glad I went the netbbok way as one of my gripes about ipad's/tablets is haveing to hold it while viewing, made even more awkward if watching and sharing a movie with the wife in a hotel room, of course you could buy a ipad stand

Willpower
20 Sep 2012 - 3:26 PM

Thanks Silver_Stoat. I have looked at the Acer Aspire series. but the 10.1 size. And everything you have said makes sense. Possibly combined with a mini HDD as mentioned by Lobsterboy, I think this might be the way to go.

I really like the tablets and the potentials post vacation, but after all these observations I think the scales are tipping away from them. A Netbook will still be able to display my work, should I ever need to (But I have a really good laptop for that) plus I really don't see me being able to use the internet connectivity of the tablets at my destination to accomplish uploads to Cloud systems in order to release space on the device, especially the ipad. That would be self defeating.
So as said already this situation is really investigating the storage possibilities and quite honestly in a location with hardly any internet the Netbook is looking preferable.

Thanks again

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.