Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Contructively critique this photo! ;-)

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

New PortraitPro 12 SALE + 10% OFF code EPZROS814
Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139395 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
23 Jun 2011 - 11:52 AM

Well what do you think? Smile It apparently took two days to set up, and a further 20 minutes to actually take the image.

Photo

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
23 Jun 2011 - 11:52 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Pete
Pete Site Moderator 1318442 forum postsPete vcard ePz Advertiser England96 Constructive Critique Points
23 Jun 2011 - 11:55 AM

Two days to set up? Was most of that getting authorisation to move the seat?

Last Modified By Pete at 23 Jun 2011 - 11:55 AM
knikki91
knikki91  733 forum posts United Kingdom
23 Jun 2011 - 12:12 PM

I really like it. Ok it is not a very good repo as there is a stack of noise on Phillip. But they look relaxed at ease and in nice front room as well.

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139395 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
23 Jun 2011 - 12:15 PM

I'm afraid the thing which strikes me most is the trousers halfway up the shins (he needs to have a word with his tailor). Wink

The background which, although out of focus, still draws the eye away from the subject(s). A bit of cropping about a third of the way in from the right may have helped. Actually a touch of cropping from the left may have helped too... to get rid of the bit of fireplace which is showing. Come to think of it the ornate lamp stand somewhat diminishes the subjects. With two days to set up, maybe the photographer could have moved that too!

And, arguably, the bright green sofa makes the subjects look dull in comparison.

But I agree they look relaxed and - for them anyway (!) - at ease.

gingerdelight
23 Jun 2011 - 12:16 PM

A good image but a little on the staid side - it would have been nice to see them standing up together, maybe even holding hands and actually looking at each other for a change!!
Carol

User_Removed
23 Jun 2011 - 12:17 PM

I find it absolutely...

Average.

I listened to his interview this morning - I haven't smelt so much BS since the last time I was in a field with a herd of Aberdeen Angus.

Chazney
Chazney  3 United Kingdom
23 Jun 2011 - 12:22 PM

I'm not super impressed by it. The background looks photoshop blur to me and they look a bit like they have been cutout and stuck on the photo. Also too many highlights in the Queen. Apart from that ok.

FanPilot
FanPilot  329 forum posts United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
23 Jun 2011 - 12:24 PM

The one on the left looks like Uncle Fester. I think the photographer should have perhaps put some light into the dukes eyes somehow.

keithh
keithh e2 Member 1022911 forum postskeithh vcard Wallis and Futuna31 Constructive Critique Points
23 Jun 2011 - 12:31 PM

I would imagine the two days were taken in choosing a suitable seat and then it's location.

I would say it's very typically one of Struth's 'Family' type works.

Carabosse
23 Jun 2011 - 12:41 PM

You can see another of Struth's efforts here. This hangs in the Tate Modern. I think it's mildly amusing - for all the wrong reasons. Grin Or maybe it's meant to be...........

keithh
keithh e2 Member 1022911 forum postskeithh vcard Wallis and Futuna31 Constructive Critique Points
23 Jun 2011 - 12:45 PM

So can you not look at that photo and tell where the close relationships, the distance and hierarchy lie within that family, CB.

JackAllTog
JackAllTog e2 Member 53584 forum postsJackAllTog vcard United Kingdom58 Constructive Critique Points
23 Jun 2011 - 12:50 PM

I'm afraid i don't like it. Its to political and sad. Political as the Queen has to be in the fore and the Duke behind. Sad as they seem pensive and unsure.
However we are seeing it on a PC monitor and this picture is a massive 1.5m by 2m! so the feel and colour may be quite different in real life.

As far as critique goes well its tried to hard to centre the queen and force the Duke to the side, this with the cluttered background behind the prince makes the RHS cluttered and squashed. The big open space behind her Majesty makes her look like she is sitting on the edge in a corridor - what are those stacked chairs behind her all about ?
Now the top half of the picture, a lovely candlestand top left but its again squashed, and then really little more than a big dark space above them. No lights are lit, can't they afford electricity they look like they have moved the seat to the window light to save power.
Lights, unbalenced again the Duke is half lit but this looks unatural compared with the queen who's side is much better lit.
The Wide angle lens - really a low down shot with a wide angle lens always exagerates the feet and legs and is rarley flattering. A small cushion behind the queen would have given her a better more regal posture also.
The overall positioning, with the seat positioned over what looks like a joined carpet with strong lines it strongle distracts.

This picture says to me an uncomfortable older couple constrained by protocol and advisors' maybe i wanted a regal couple or a couple that shared some fun time in my picture.
Ok, i've been a quite harsh and if i was in that environment i'd probally have been so stressed i'd have forgot to take the lens cap off. But loads of photo's i've seen on ephotozine are much better in my opinion.

e.g. for scene lighting look at this or this.

Last Modified By JackAllTog at 23 Jun 2011 - 12:51 PM
Carabosse
23 Jun 2011 - 12:53 PM

Quote: So can you not look at that photo and tell where the close relationships, the distance and hierarchy lie within that family, CB

Oh I am not saying it does not have some good points , i.e. with the Queen nearer to the camera and the sofa at an angle emphasising the point. But it's pretty obvious stuff.

But there are issues which just get in the way and catch the attention way beyond the intended 'subtleties'... which aren't actually that subtle.

Stuart makes some excellent points in his critique. Smile

keithh
23 Jun 2011 - 12:54 PM

I was refering to your link.
Wink

SlowSong
SlowSong e2 Member 64375 forum postsSlowSong vcard England28 Constructive Critique Points
23 Jun 2011 - 1:00 PM

Philips looks as if he's got a black eye.
Not too impressed, it having taken 2 days to set up, but I wouldn't like to do it. Grin

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.