Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Converting a laptop to Chrome

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    cmiller
    cmiller  1 United Kingdom
    11 Apr 2013 - 5:51 PM

In response to a previous post about purchasing a Chrome laptop, this set me to thinking. One person suggested converting a laptop to chrome by installing the Chromium OS. I have an old laptop (30Gb hard disk and 1Gb Ram with Pentium 4 processor). I used an external hard drive with it to increase storage space. One of my cats walked over the keyboard and somehow corrupted the software - the result is a laptop which works fine off-line but not over the internet. It won't recognise my installation disks/software and cannot re-install service packs. I think the cat might have somehow erased or corrupted the restore points??

Anyway, if I re-formatted the hard drive and installed Chromium instead would this solve my problem, i.e. able to re-connect to the internet? Also, I have Adobe Photoshop Elements installed (downloaded version), would I be able to somehow re-install this - either by saving the program to flash drive or by re-downloading from Adobe? How would I set about acquiring Chromium and installing it - I'm not totally computer illiterate but I'm no expert either!!

All suggestion welcome.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    11 Apr 2013 - 5:51 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

pledwith
    pledwith  8 United Kingdom
    11 Apr 2013 - 7:07 PM

Can you expand as to what kis happening when trying to connect to the internet? If the laptop works otherwise it could just be configuirng the internet connection, possibly the drivers for the network card.

If you're trying to re-install Windows you may need to check the boot sequence to make sure that the CD drive is the first boot device. Usually when installing a new OS it would replace any existing one completely.

If you format the hard disc you will need to have all the device drivers for the screen, network connections, modem, sound, etc. as you wouldn't be able to download anything till you have a working internet connection and that can be a bit catch-22. Cant get the internet until the connection works, but connection wont work until you have the drivers. You would also have to work out how to format the HDD if you can't boot from a CD.

cmiller
    11 Apr 2013 - 7:40 PM

The laptop connects to the internet (wireless and wired) but the connection is extremely slow - I could watch paint dry more quickly. I hate to think how long a download would take. I use my netbook exclusively now as the laptop internet is so slow and painful. It just seems a shame to throw away the laptop as it is still a good computer (in my eyes at least!)

pledwith
    pledwith  8 United Kingdom
    11 Apr 2013 - 7:55 PM

I'm assuming from the specs that it's probably windows XP. It should be possible to do a basic windows installation, leaving out anything you really don't need and have a machine that is pretty quick accessing the internet. I've done something similar on a few older machines and so long as you keep it simple it should be OK.

Some newer OS's do struggle on old machines because their basic requirements are still greater than what we might have available.

Hope this helps some.

davidburleson
    davidburleson ePHOTOzine Staff 72393 forum postsdavidburleson vcard United Kingdom
    12 Apr 2013 - 10:37 AM

Thsi might help

http://lifehacker.com/5820358/how-to-turn-your-netbook-into-a-chromebook-with-ch...

cmiller
    12 Apr 2013 - 4:27 PM

Quote: I'm assuming from the specs that it's probably windows XP. It should be possible to do a basic windows installation, leaving out anything you really don't need and have a machine that is pretty quick accessing the internet. I've done something similar on a few older machines and so long as you keep it simple it should be OK.

Some newer OS's do struggle on old machines because their basic requirements are still greater than what we might have available.

Hope this helps some.

Yes, it's Windows XP Pro. Although it's about a year ago now I seem to remember trying the Windows disks but the laptop could not recognise (or verifty?) them as kocher Windows - even though I know they must be.

I rather hoped that by changing the OS I could get a fully functional laptop back again.

cmiller
    12 Apr 2013 - 4:30 PM

Quote: Thsi might help

http://lifehacker.com/5820358/how-to-turn-your-netbook-into-a-chromebook-with-chromium-os

I've had a look at the link - I'll try giving it a whirl over the weekend, although I'm not sure I fully understood the instructions. Still, if you don't try you don't find out do you?!!

Metalhead
    Metalhead  71878 forum posts England2 Constructive Critique Points
    12 Apr 2013 - 4:38 PM

Thanks for the link to the Chromium OS website. It might just be the solution for my slow netbook too since it's only really used for web browsing but it takes about 3 days to switch on now, and I've already decluttered it as much as possible.

I've got the Chromium OS boot iso on an 8GB USB so I'll try booting from that tonight and see what happens. It won't affect the Windows XP installation at all that way.

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.