Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Converting DSLR to Infra Red

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    Dave_Canon
    7 Mar 2010 - 7:57 PM

I am seriously considering converting my EOS 20D to IR. I have tried using an IR filter but exposure times were 30 seconds in bright sunlight. For the average landscape the foliage move and clouds move leaving most of the image blurred. If I convert my camera to IR, I will be able to use normal exposures. It is possible to buy the parts and do it yourself and I would be resonably confident to do so. However, the saving is not that great so I am inclined to pay for the conversion. Advanced Camera Services of Norfolk have been recommended to me. Has anyone on this forum any experience of converting a DSLR to IR?

Dave

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    7 Mar 2010 - 7:57 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

chris.maddock
    7 Mar 2010 - 8:17 PM

ACS did a good job on my 10D last year - including adjusting the autofocus for IR light, something which I hadn't expected, that hadn't even occurred to me and was very welcome.

MrGoatsmilk
    7 Mar 2010 - 8:20 PM

just sent you a pm Dave

Dave_Canon
    7 Mar 2010 - 8:30 PM

Stu thanks for the pm, I will follow up. I had some problems in replying by pm.

Dave

col.campbell
    7 Mar 2010 - 11:30 PM

Perhaps a tad off-topic, but I thought that longer exposures were necessary in IR because the sensor responds to IR energy, but much less so than visible light. I also thought IR conversions merely replaced the protective cover of the sensor with the equivalent of an IR filter.

Have I got it all wrong, can you please explain what I've misunderstood?

Pete
    Pete Site Moderator 1318442 forum postsPete vcard ePz Advertiser England96 Constructive Critique Points
    7 Mar 2010 - 11:38 PM

I'm using a converted Pentax *ist D. I really like the results. My latest is uploaded yesterday in my portfolio.
    I wrote about converting a DSLR to infrared in the articles section.

Quote: I also thought IR conversions merely replaced the protective cover of the sensor with the equivalent of an IR filter.

They take away the IR Cut filter. The exposures are fast, unlike when shooting through an IR filter on the lens.

Helpful Post! This post was flagged as helpful
    Paul Morgan
    Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315158 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
    7 Mar 2010 - 11:52 PM

Until quite recently WE were selling sigma SD14`s dirt cheap, an ace camera if you can still find one for IR.

Converting`s dead easy, simply remove the filter Smile

Dave_Canon
    8 Mar 2010 - 9:40 AM

Pete, thanks your article was helpful and there are some further useful links at the bottom of the article. You have some cracking photographs Pete not just the IR's.

Dave

Pete
    Pete Site Moderator 1318442 forum postsPete vcard ePz Advertiser England96 Constructive Critique Points
    8 Mar 2010 - 10:13 AM

Quote: Pete, thanks your article was helpful and there are some further useful links at the bottom of the article. You have some cracking photographs Pete not just the IR's.

Thanks Dave. I'm happy to have helped.

col.campbell
    9 Mar 2010 - 11:48 AM

Thanks Pete

ebadilles
    ebadilles  11 United Kingdom
    9 Mar 2010 - 12:11 PM

Hi all,

I have canon 300D, would it possible to convert it to IR?

Thanks,

strawman
    strawman  1022006 forum posts United Kingdom16 Constructive Critique Points
    9 Mar 2010 - 12:21 PM

Quote: Hi all,

I have canon 300D, would it possible to convert it to IR?

Thanks,

Yes it is, have a look at Pete's article or Google 300D IR conversion. You can get DIY kits or send it off.

ebadilles
    ebadilles  11 United Kingdom
    9 Mar 2010 - 12:41 PM

Thanks for the quick reply strawman.

RoyBoy
    RoyBoy  9168 forum posts United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
    9 Mar 2010 - 1:08 PM

I had my 20D converted and pleased that I did. It is something that I would definately recommend. There were two types available. One which is for colour/mono IR and the other if you just intend taking B&W. I was told that the latter, which I went for, produces a slightly more contrast/detail in the image but you lose the colour IR option. In reality I suspect there might not be much in it but talk to them first.

As I said, although pricey, I thought it was money well spent.

Regards
    Roy

Dave_Canon
    9 Mar 2010 - 7:13 PM

Roy thanks for that information. I have decided to defintely go ahead but had not realised that there was an option which excluded colour IR. I will look into that but I have read an excellent article on colour IR by Clive Haynes so I am tempted to go that way unless ther eis some disadvantage.

Dave

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.