Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Converting Raw To Tiff

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

55% OFF new PortraitPro 12 - use code EPHZROS414.
Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    Sylviwhalley
    Sylviwhalley e2 Member 797 forum postsSylviwhalley vcard United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
    14 Apr 2010 - 4:39 PM

Help please. I've taken some shots in Raw format, will I lose anything by converting and saving as Tiffs, using the Canon Software, before processing in Photoshop CS4. I haven't got Raw processing in Photoshop, I've tried to download it from the net with no success. I'd be grateful for any advice.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    14 Apr 2010 - 4:39 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

CathyT
    CathyT e2 Member 87253 forum postsCathyT vcard United Kingdom18 Constructive Critique Points
    14 Apr 2010 - 4:48 PM

If you are shooting in Raw then its probably more beneficial to use Raw software before saving to Tiff...otherwise you are not getting the benefits from the raw file....

Phase One Capture One 4 or

Adobe Lightroom

Last Modified By CathyT at 14 Apr 2010 - 4:49 PM
    mlewis
    mlewis  91470 forum posts United Kingdom
    14 Apr 2010 - 5:03 PM

If you have Photoshop CS4 it has Adobe Camera RAW 5 with it. To update it select the update option in Photoshop's Help menu.

JohnParminter
    14 Apr 2010 - 6:36 PM

Quote: will I lose anything by converting and saving as Tiffs, using the Canon Software, before processing in Photoshop CS4

No, you won't. When you 'save as' a TIFF the RAW file is converted into a TIFF but still leaves the original RAW file.

As mentioned CS4 will have it's own RAW converter but same principal applies re the RAW/TIFF file.

JP

cameracat
    cameracat  108575 forum posts Norfolk Island61 Constructive Critique Points
    14 Apr 2010 - 8:55 PM

If you are using Photoshop CS4, Why not use Adobe Camera Raw version 5.6.....Smile

You open your Raw files straight into CS4, Make whatever adjustments you care to via the Camera Raw interface, Hit " Open Image " and its there in Photoshop ready for further more intensive adjusments......!!!

You can if you prefer save the Raw files at this point, The file type is anything you care to save it as, 16 bit or 8 bit Tiff....etc etc....!!!

Once you have saved it as a Tiff, You can carry on working with it as a Tiff......Smile

You still have your " Original Untouched " Raw file as no changes takes place on the opening file.

Having said all that, There is a new school of thought, That rather than mess around with huge 16 bit Tiff files, You instead just open your Raw file via Camera Raw straight into Photoshop, Then work on it as a " RAW " file throughout the whole process to the finished image........Then and only then, Choose the file type that is suitable/required for your output intention.....Smile

If you are running Adobe Photoshop CS4, Do you really need seperate raw convertors at all.....? ? ?

Whatever.....Here is a link to download the latest fully automated Adobe Camera RAW version 5.6, Just download and run the exe.......It does it all for you......Wink

Last Modified By cameracat at 14 Apr 2010 - 8:56 PM
    KarlTaylor
    14 Apr 2010 - 9:28 PM

Hi Slviwhalley,

As the others have mentioned you have a camera raw in CS4 but having experimented with this I find the RAW processing capabilities of Aperture or Lightroom to be better. My preference is Lightroom if you need to extract shadow detail and Aperture on the highlight recovery detail. You can also access the Adobe Camera RAW from Bridge on a Mac. All of these then allow you to save a Tiff and leave your RAW untouched.

All the best
    Karl.

lobsterboy
    lobsterboy Site Moderator 1013937 forum postslobsterboy vcard United Kingdom13 Constructive Critique Points
    14 Apr 2010 - 10:38 PM

Quote: you have a camera raw in CS4 but having experimented with this I find the RAW processing capabilities of Aperture or Lightroom to be better.

Really? I was under the impression that it's exactly the same raw processor in CS4 & Lightroom. What have I missed?

cameracat
    cameracat  108575 forum posts Norfolk Island61 Constructive Critique Points
    14 Apr 2010 - 10:46 PM

Quote: camera raw in CS4 but having experimented with this I find the RAW processing capabilities of Aperture or Lightroom to be better

Strange, As the ACR in PS/CS4 is exactly the same Raw Engine that is used in Lightroom 2.

Colour management settings aside, If you look at the ACR interface, Its identical to those on offer in LR 2, However unless you have changed it, LR 2 by default uses ProPhoto RGB, Rather than Adobe RGB, So that can make a real difference in the image appearance.....!!!

ACR is available via bridge on a Windows computer also, Can't say the same about " Aperture " though as its not cross platform capable, Unlike Adobe software....Wink

Whatever....Grin

Just to emphasis my point regarding processing as a RAW file without the need to convert to a TIFF file first, Those using Lightroom 2 to process just import the images, Then get straight down to making adjustments, There is NO convert to Tiff process.....Smile

In Lightroom 2 the only time you make a decision on what file type to convert to, Is when your have finished processing the image, Where you can then choose your prefered/required file type.....Wink

EDIT Uh Oh! Beaten to it by a speedy mod.....Sad

Last Modified By cameracat at 14 Apr 2010 - 10:48 PM
    Sylviwhalley
    Sylviwhalley e2 Member 797 forum postsSylviwhalley vcard United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
    15 Apr 2010 - 10:56 AM

Thanks very much for the help, I've now got it sorted, have downloaded the update and can do my processing in Raw in Photoshop.

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.