Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Copyright

Hello

I have recently setup my own website and have put a copyright notice at the bottom of each page.

I was going to watermark the images, although I have read that these can be edited which is scarey.

How is best to protect/copyright my photos? Should I watermark them as well?

KariElizabeth

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

KevSB
10 1.5k 5 United Kingdom
17 May 2014 11:09PM
If the website is to showcase your pictures, putting a heavy watermark over them will destroy and interest in your site as they annoy people, If your selling them then a water mark is your best option, even that can be got rid of by talented people . using the minimum quality and size makes them pretty useless for most applications.
Ade_Osman e2
11 4.5k 36 England
18 May 2014 8:13AM
I'm with Kev on this one, better IMHO to use smaller lo-res images, because no matter what you do if you post image on the Internet you always take the chance someone will steal them and most water marks can easily be cloned out etc. Just an opinion of course.
21 May 2014 10:20AM
As a Wiccan I have decided to hex my images. Anyone who steals my images without my express permission and tries to use them commercially, will get dogged with nasty bad luck unless they either agree to buy them off me. Do not infringe my copyright, or else!. You have been warned, har har (screetchy witchy laugh) Tongue
21 May 2014 10:33AM
Unfortunately, there isn't any guaranteed way to completely prevent your photos from being stolen. But here are some of the most common ways to minimize and monitor theft:

1. Heavy watermark - as mentioned, this will probably ruin the photo
2. Light watermark - easily cloned out
3. implement 'right-click' protection through either a masking transparent image or disabling the right-click menu - this can prevent the most common way of stealing your photo. But more tech saavy people will know how to get around this.
4. Include EXIF copyright data in your photos - at least then you might have some proof it's yours if they don't strip it out
5. Regularly monitor the usage of your photo on the internet. This can be easily done using Google Image search. Upload your photo to google image search and it will try to find matches on the internet. At least you will then know where it's gone and can consider taking appropriate action.

If you are really worried, maybe only put up a few photos which you are willing to stick out there and take the risk of being lifted and keep the majority of the rest of your work in a secure area on your site that only your clients or potential clients can view by contacting you for further details.
21 May 2014 4:28PM
What do you do and where do you go if it's been 'photo-napped'?
3 Jul 2014 9:24PM
Even though I do not believe you can ever prevent theft when you post images on the internet I am intrigued by the idea of disabling the right-click, which is probably the most used 'casual' theft, ie people saving your image because they like it, not because they mean you harm.
I have been searching for this but only get sites that offer code, which I have no idea what to do with.

Could somebody explain how to disable the right-click for uploaded images?
Chris_L e2
1.5k United Kingdom
4 Jul 2014 12:22AM
The website that displays your images needs to integrate that anti-click code as part of the code for that web page as a whole.

If you can't access the source code of the websites you are uploading images to you need to find somebody who can and persuade them to insert the code for you. It's not something which you can add to an image prior to uploading it to the internet.

Just looked and on your own website right-click save is disabled, in my browser at any rate, it brings up a share menu instead of the normal browser menu.
Beside watermarking and all the advice before mine, you can also do a little trick.

Open your image with Adobe Photoshop. Click on File, then on File Info, and fill those rows with your own data.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.