Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

copyright

steebi e2
13 63 United Kingdom
8 Aug 2001 1:28AM
I am soon to begin getting a website together to show and advertise my work but I am concerned about picture security, as to show picture quality I do want to use high res scans. I know there is a way to stop people copying your work but I would like the details, can anyone help me with this? Thanks, Steve.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Pete e2
13 18.7k 96 England
8 Aug 2001 1:28AM
Go to http://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamicindex9/noright2_dev.htm for a right click disable Javascript code that can be built in to your site. This disables the right click option and makes a message pop up if anyone tries it.
Big Bri e2
13 15.7k United Kingdom
9 Sep 2001 4:26PM
The java code to disable right clicking works to a point, but there is usually a way round it. The user can always View->Source to look at the HTML then just copy the URL of the .JPG file and get the image that way. I have seen a system that automatically slices your image into hundreds of small ones, then displays them in a table, which means the user would only be able to get small chunks. However, if the photo fits on the screen the user can always do a screen grab....
The best way is to write some subtle copyright text straight across the photo.
John W e2
13 4
15 Nov 2001 8:43PM
If you e-mail me I can let you have my java (Right click disable) as a Word doc which you can then insert your own warning message.You can then turn it int an .html doc which looks like a blank page but when you insert a image the java will work it's magic. If you use PS6 you can also slice the image in IMAGE READY to make it more difficult to reassemble. Just remember that the only real safe way to protect your images is to never upload them to the web in the first place. - nothing is foolproof.
John
Big Bri e2
13 15.7k United Kingdom
16 Nov 2001 9:08AM
I wonder whether the right-click disable will work with Internet Explorer 6, which ships with Windows XP.
When you hover the mouse over an image, a floating toolbar appears automatically (you don't have to right click) with buttons to save the image, use as background etc.
John W e2
13 4
16 Nov 2001 9:04PM
I haven't tried it with IE6 but I know it is OK with 5.5. I am sure there is something that would work with a little thought and headache.
macroman e2
11 15.3k England
21 Jun 2003 4:39PM
The image is stored in the browser cache anyway so disabling right click achieves nothing really, you can also do a screen copy.
The best option is to reduce the resolution and image size to the minimum compatible with a fair screen image, say 500x400Px at 72ppi.
Then any hard copies would be fairly small and would not be worth enlarging as the image quality would deteriorate rapidly.
500x400 Px is about 7x5" at 72ppi not very good resolution, or 1.6x1.3" at 300ppi rather small?
OK I know you can interpolate the data but you can't put back what was not there originally, so no one is going to make much money from yopur pix.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.