Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Copyright

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    CarolineH120
    16 Oct 2011 - 5:18 PM

Was just wondering about how to copyright my pictures? And how to tryvand stop people using them? Any help would be grateful, Smile

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    16 Oct 2011 - 5:18 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

User_Removed
    16 Oct 2011 - 5:23 PM

You don't have to copyright your pictures. If you create them, you automatically own the copyright without having to do anything else.

If you want to stop any unauthorised person ever using one of your pictures then the most important step to take, or rather, not to take is: Never, ever, post them on the internet.

If you search some other recent threads on the Forum, you will discover that unauthorised copying of images from one website to another is rife - and, in most cases, not worth trying to take any action over. Unless your images are incredibly valuable, then it is probably best not to worry and just be flattered if someone rates them as good enough to copy.

After reading about the Google "search by image" feature on here a few days ago I dropped one of my own images - a photo of the Bermuda parliament building that I had posted on Flickr yonks ago - into the search box and discovered that it was being used on the websites of a tourism agency and a travel agent. Not worth the hassle of asking them to remove it and really quite nice that they "rated" it.

Last Modified By User_Removed at 16 Oct 2011 - 5:28 PM
    CarolineH120
    16 Oct 2011 - 5:31 PM

Very true I see a lot of people on here copyrighting there name and stuff at the bottom of picture but in my mind I'm thinking sum one could cut that out with photoshop and y would never know like. Just oi was thinking of trying to sell a few pics. Thanks for y comment very new too all this website what about added friends on here can that be done?

keith selmes
    16 Oct 2011 - 7:11 PM

Having your name and/or contact details on the image is a small step that might help.
    Some people will pass the picture round without bothering to remove the name.
    Also its a little harder for someone to claim its an orphan work - that is, one where the owner is untraceable.
    It isn't foolproof, just makes a little more difficult for the IP rights thief, and there's a chance your name gets passed around with the picture which leads to a genuine enquiry.

mikehit
    mikehit  46163 forum posts United Kingdom9 Constructive Critique Points
    16 Oct 2011 - 9:03 PM

The best defence is to put your copyright information in the metadata and many people who pirate images do not bother to remove it.

avacreates
    16 Oct 2011 - 11:04 PM

Leftform - I believe without doubt that you should contact the agency using your photo and ask them to have the decency to give you credit for it - your name on the photo is all you ask. You can tell them how flattered you are that they stole your photo and used it. They should know that they got caught out if nothing else. I have so far refrained from up-loading my best shots - my kids won't let me LOL - engaging in this site has been a lot of fun, I've even received a few votes, not heaps but enough to make me happy and I'm learning so much, therefore as I said, it's been a lot of fun

CarolineH120
    16 Oct 2011 - 11:38 PM

Cheers for all the comments I think I will not put my best ones just incase, was thinking off contacting a few studios to see if I can sell a few pictures here in northern Ireland..

User_Removed
    17 Oct 2011 - 9:26 AM

Caroline,

If your main concern is about selling prints (and obviously you would not want a copyright thief to also be selling your prints), then the best idea is to make sure that you only place small low-res jpegs on the web. That way no potential thief would be able to print a decent copy of them.

Also, if you do get them displayed in galleries or even on craft fair stalls, make sure that the gallery/stall owner has a "no photography" policy and actually enforces it. Apparently there are folk who go round photographing artwork to reproduce.

I came across a "professional" photographer with a stall selling his prints at a craft fair in Edinburgh's Grassmarket last year. He had the stall plastered with notices (actually produced by some alleged anti-copyright theft organisation) forbidding photography. When I commented to him that it seemed a bit weird that a photographer was forbidding photography, he explained that he often had "snappers" trying to photograph his prints, rather than pay the money to purchase one. I then saw the same notice on several other stalls displaying various types of craftwork.

Last Modified By User_Removed at 17 Oct 2011 - 9:27 AM
    ablast
    ablast  5 Australia
    17 Oct 2011 - 12:58 PM

You can also use digimarc. For a small fee you can watermark all your photos and trace any unorthorized use.

CarolineH120
    18 Oct 2011 - 12:25 PM

Thanks Guys I was a bit confused what to do but defo think ill be using a few off y comments in the future many thanks to all x

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.