Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Copyright changes

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

User_Removed 8 2.1k 7 England
18 Nov 2009 2:29PM
Does this means that anyone could download an image from EPZ and use it legally as long as itís for non commercial purposes. Would that include charities do you think? I guess low res images have little non commercial use really donít they?
User_Removed 10 17.9k 8 Norway
18 Nov 2009 2:55PM

Quote:"the current UK government plans to make changes to copyright licensing in an effort to simplify access to work of arts."

Hmmm...

Quote:"The IPO also considers that 'making non-commercial use less onerous for consumers, for example by removing the need to seek permission... "

*** !!! ***
thewilliam e2
6 4.9k
18 Nov 2009 6:54PM
If you care about the livelihood of professional photographers, support the BJP campaign.

I suspect that the government dislikes photographers because of the "I'm not a criminal, just a photographer" campaign in response to the silly enforcement of the terrorism legislation.
samfurlong e2
8 2.5k United Kingdom
18 Nov 2009 6:57PM
If this comes into force then every image of mine is coming down from this website and any others they are posted on, in addition images on my own website will be so heavily watermarked that they will be completely unuseable.
Pete e2
13 18.7k 96 England
18 Nov 2009 7:18PM
It needs some more investigation.

If necessary we can add an extra layer of protection. And also make it very clear that the pictures uploaded on ePHOTOzine are your copyright.
keith selmes
11 7.1k 1 United Kingdom
18 Nov 2009 9:13PM
So the Digital Economy Bill which is probably going to be hurried through before the next election - otherwise it'll be in limbo for ages - derives from the Digital Britain Review of June 2009, which itself draws a good deal on the Gowers Review of Intellectual Property from December 2006. There's about 400 pages of heavy reading!

The part which seems most relevant is about orphan works, and the possible setting up of a database where we can register our work so no-one can claim they couldn't find us. Rather like the orphan works bill in the U.S., and perhaps the same question arises, how much will that cost us ?
keith selmes
11 7.1k 1 United Kingdom
18 Nov 2009 9:26PM
Orphan Works ,
The bill wasn't passed.
User_Removed 8 2.1k 7 England
18 Nov 2009 9:53PM

Quote:.....And also make it very clear that the pictures uploaded on ePHOTOzine are your copyright.

Isn't that the whole point, they won't be copyrighted if they are used for non commercial purposes?
answersonapostcard e2
10 12.7k 15 United Kingdom
18 Nov 2009 10:04PM
Not sure it is, seems to me as if its about taking and using work where copyright is not obvious. All seems a bit too wooly to tell, besides isnt there an election soon - is this going to take effect in the next 7 months? ;0
keith selmes
11 7.1k 1 United Kingdom
18 Nov 2009 10:33PM
I think we're talking about two diferent matters

1) orphan works, where the copyright holder, if there is one, cannot be located
From Digital Britain

Quote:The Government proposes to introduce legislation to enable commercial schemes for dealing with orphan works to be set up on a regulated basis.

2) non-commercial use in education and research. this is currently available to some extent, e.g. for photocopying book extracts, but not for all media, e.g. video clips so there is a recommendation to
Quote: Allow private copying for research to cover all forms of content.
This relates to the copying, not the distribution, of media.

that is for "non-commercial research and private study", which I think is where the reference to non-commercial consumers getting free use must have come from.
23 Nov 2009 5:46PM
If you don't agree with the proposals, you can sign this 10 Downing St petition here
LensYews e2
6 1.3k 1 United Kingdom
23 Nov 2009 6:55PM

Quote:If you don't agree with the proposals, you can sign this 10 Downing St petition here

It might also be worth writing to your MP, which could be more effective in getting the bill directly challenged.
LensYews e2
6 1.3k 1 United Kingdom
26 Nov 2009 5:54PM
Just had a note back from my MP's office saying they have written to the appropriate Minister at the Department for Culture, Media and Sport on my behalf.
cats_123 e2
10 4.3k 25 Northern Ireland
26 Nov 2009 10:33PM
signed up

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.