Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Copyright changes

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

New PortraitPro 12 SALE + 10% OFF code EPZROS814
Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    aftertherain
    18 Nov 2009 - 2:10 PM

in the Queen's speech

Last Modified By Badger at 18 Nov 2009 - 2:12 PM
    Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    18 Nov 2009 - 2:10 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

User_Removed
    18 Nov 2009 - 2:29 PM

Does this means that anyone could download an image from EPZ and use it legally as long as itís for non commercial purposes. Would that include charities do you think? I guess low res images have little non commercial use really donít they?

User_Removed
    18 Nov 2009 - 2:55 PM

Quote: "the current UK government plans to make changes to copyright licensing in an effort to simplify access to work of arts."

Hmmm...

Quote: "The IPO also considers that 'making non-commercial use less onerous for consumers, for example by removing the need to seek permission... "

*** !!! ***

Last Modified By User_Removed at 18 Nov 2009 - 2:58 PM
    thewilliam
    18 Nov 2009 - 6:54 PM

If you care about the livelihood of professional photographers, support the BJP campaign.

I suspect that the government dislikes photographers because of the "I'm not a criminal, just a photographer" campaign in response to the silly enforcement of the terrorism legislation.

samfurlong
    18 Nov 2009 - 6:57 PM

If this comes into force then every image of mine is coming down from this website and any others they are posted on, in addition images on my own website will be so heavily watermarked that they will be completely unuseable.

Pete
    Pete Site Moderator 1318442 forum postsPete vcard ePz Advertiser England96 Constructive Critique Points
    18 Nov 2009 - 7:18 PM

It needs some more investigation.

If necessary we can add an extra layer of protection. And also make it very clear that the pictures uploaded on ePHOTOzine are your copyright.

keith selmes
    18 Nov 2009 - 9:13 PM

So the Digital Economy Bill which is probably going to be hurried through before the next election - otherwise it'll be in limbo for ages - derives from the Digital Britain Review of June 2009, which itself draws a good deal on the Gowers Review of Intellectual Property from December 2006. There's about 400 pages of heavy reading!

The part which seems most relevant is about orphan works, and the possible setting up of a database where we can register our work so no-one can claim they couldn't find us. Rather like the orphan works bill in the U.S., and perhaps the same question arises, how much will that cost us ?

keith selmes
    18 Nov 2009 - 9:26 PM

Orphan Works,
    The bill wasn't passed.

User_Removed
    18 Nov 2009 - 9:53 PM

Quote: .....And also make it very clear that the pictures uploaded on ePHOTOzine are your copyright.

Isn't that the whole point, they won't be copyrighted if they are used for non commercial purposes?

answersonapostcard
    answersonapostcard Site Moderator 1012602 forum postsanswersonapostcard vcard United Kingdom15 Constructive Critique Points
    18 Nov 2009 - 10:04 PM

Not sure it is, seems to me as if its about taking and using work where copyright is not obvious. All seems a bit too wooly to tell, besides isnt there an election soon - is this going to take effect in the next 7 months? ;0

keith selmes
    18 Nov 2009 - 10:33 PM

I think we're talking about two diferent matters

1) orphan works, where the copyright holder, if there is one, cannot be located
    From Digital Britain

Quote: The Government proposes to introduce legislation to enable commercial schemes for dealing with orphan works to be set up on a regulated basis.

2) non-commercial use in education and research. this is currently available to some extent, e.g. for photocopying book extracts, but not for all media, e.g. video clips so there is a recommendation to
    Quote: Allow private copying for research to cover all forms of content.
    This relates to the copying, not the distribution, of media.

that is for "non-commercial research and private study", which I think is where the reference to non-commercial consumers getting free use must have come from.

Last Modified By keith selmes at 18 Nov 2009 - 10:38 PM
    contemporary dave

If you don't agree with the proposals, you can sign this 10 Downing St petition here

LensYews
    LensYews  51300 forum posts United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
    23 Nov 2009 - 6:55 PM

Quote: If you don't agree with the proposals, you can sign this 10 Downing St petition here

It might also be worth writing to your MP, which could be more effective in getting the bill directly challenged.

LensYews
    LensYews  51300 forum posts United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
    26 Nov 2009 - 5:54 PM

Just had a note back from my MP's office saying they have written to the appropriate Minister at the Department for Culture, Media and Sport on my behalf.

cats_123
    cats_123 e2 Member 104018 forum postscats_123 vcard Northern Ireland25 Constructive Critique Points
    26 Nov 2009 - 10:33 PM

signed up

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.