Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Copyright Exif Data with Canon 7D

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    AndyLeslie
    16 Feb 2012 - 10:00 AM

I may well be missing something, so am asking here just in case, before I approach Canon and look like a twit by asking for something already there that I somehow have not noticed.

Does anyone know why, having set copyright data in camera, so that it appears in the EXIF of every picture taken, Canon don't set the "Copyright" bit in the EXIF data too? It's just a pain in the proverbial to have to set it every time I process images.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    16 Feb 2012 - 10:00 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

mrcal
    mrcal  101032 forum posts
    16 Feb 2012 - 10:06 AM

Use the maintenance section of Canon EOS Utilities. If you haven't already installed it, it's on the disk that came with the camera.

AndyLeslie
    16 Feb 2012 - 10:12 AM

I don't think you understood my question. I know I can set the Copyright bit using all kinds of utilities - I use Photoshop usually. What I'm asking is why Canon let you enter in all the copyright data which IS embedded in the EXIF "in camera", but don't then set the Copyright bit (or switch) to "on" when you have done so.

Or are you saying that the maintenance section of Canon EOS Utilities has a way of altering this behaviour?

ikett
    ikett  4352 forum posts England
    16 Feb 2012 - 10:19 AM

If you open an image in DPP press Crtl +I it should open the full EXIF, hope this helps?

AndyLeslie
    16 Feb 2012 - 10:36 AM

I refer the honourable member to my previous reply.

mikehit
    mikehit  56689 forum posts United Kingdom11 Constructive Critique Points
    16 Feb 2012 - 10:51 AM

Does this help?

http://www.learn.usa.canon.com/resources/articles/2011/whats_new_eosline_add_cop...

Quote: To input this information, you have to connect the camera to your computer (Mac or Windows) via the included USB cable....Itís not possible to set or change this information using the camera alone;

AndyLeslie
    16 Feb 2012 - 11:00 AM

Mike, thanks, but it doesn't. I realise I should have said I have a 7D, but mis-thought this would be implied by my query.

Just to be clear: I have a 7D. It enables me to enter Copyright info into my camera that then appears in EXIF data. What it doesn't do is set the bit in the EXIF data to denote that the copy right status is "Copyright", even though I have indeed entered the copyright data through the camera menus.

mikehit
    mikehit  56689 forum posts United Kingdom11 Constructive Critique Points
    16 Feb 2012 - 11:18 AM

I realised you had a 7D - I just found that linkto 5D that seemed to apply. I have now found another one forthe 7D and it is the same solution.

http://www.flickr.com/groups/canon_7d_digital_slr/discuss/72157628384431241/

To be honest, I am still a bit unsure what your problem is.
    As I see it you have entered copyright information in-camera and you cannot see this when you view the picture in DPP? I have checked the 'info' button in DPP and it is ont he second tab as metadata, rather than the shooting information on the first tab (which is where the user name appears).
    I have not used copyright information myself yet but if I recall correctly when you use Photoshop or Lightroom you have the option of embedding all metadata into the photo or keeping it separately in the attached data file.

nickp
    nickp  9491 forum posts Scotland
    16 Feb 2012 - 11:57 AM

I have the same problem with a 5Dmkii.

There are two copyright fields that I see displayed in Lightroom (and I assume Photoshop or any other utility for viewing EXIF). One is a text field into which you caan type anything. The other is a select box called Copyright Status with 3 options like "Unknown", "Copyrighted", and "Public Domain". It defaults to "Unknown".

The EOS Utility allows you to update the text field and it saves the contents back to the camera OK.

The EOS utility does not allow you to change the content of the select box - it does not appear in the Utilities list of EXIF data to edit.

However if you set the Copyright data in the EOS Utility, you might have expected that Canon would automatically set the select box for you, or allow it to be edited in the Utility. Neither of these happen, hence the problem.

For me its a minor problem since I don't release digital copies of my images in any great quantities, and in any case the value of the EXIF data is limited, in my view. Be nice to have a fix though.

alansnap
    alansnap e2 Member 10529 forum postsalansnap vcard United Kingdom22 Constructive Critique Points
    16 Feb 2012 - 12:01 PM

There are two ways to put this into the EXIF data - I used the Canon utility with the camera tethered to the computer via USB. The other seems to be the way you've done it. I would connect up and check via the utility.

The next issue is that you may not be displaying the right part of the EXIF data. I am at work so can't access Aperture at the moment, but if you are able to check all the various parts of your EXIF data, you'll find that it's buried with the detailed camera data. If you've uploaded it to the camera correctly the copyright information will be there but it doesn't display by default. It's a bit of a pain, but where Canon have put it means it can't be erased. Where you manually enter the data in PS or Aperture someone with access to the file could reset the copyright. With it set in camera that is impossible. So search for it deep in the EXIF, it's probably there.

What the PS software is doing is to allow you to add an additional copyright notice which isn't strictly necessary if it's already set up in camera.

Cheers,
    Alan

Last Modified By alansnap at 16 Feb 2012 - 12:03 PM
    AndyLeslie
    16 Feb 2012 - 3:02 PM

nickp has it in one and describes my issue perfectly. So EPZ's score today is 1 out of 5.

I think I'll just go talk to Canon.

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.