Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Copyright Infringement

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

55% OFF new PortraitPro 12 - use code EPHZROS414.
stevenr
stevenr  10
21 Jan 2006 - 5:00 PM

I have been informed recently that someone has stolen 2 images from my website and has posted them as his own:

My images:
http://www.pbase.com/nodfather/image/7882260 http://www.pbase.com/nodfather/image/32063398

Stolen images:
http://www.piczo.com/stevanhogg?g=2177304&cr=1 http://www.travellerspoint.com/photos/gallery/features/start/51/tags/Scotland/

Although it appears that this person is not using it to any obvious commercial advantage, I am most angered that he has "copyrighted" these images as his own, both watermarking his name at the bottom of the images, and displaying a copyright notice at the foot of the webpage- he is thus well aware of copyright laws.
I have been unaware until now of this theft happening to me, so I am not sure what action to take- in light of him displaying his own copyright notice, I feel there should be more punishment than merely asking him to remove the pictures from his website. I would be interested to know what anyone else thinks?
Cheers,
Steven

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
21 Jan 2006 - 5:00 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139367 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
21 Jan 2006 - 6:52 PM

Just as an opening point, I assume you can prove the photos are yours?

Otherwise he could say that you'd pinched them from him!

foxybrown
foxybrown  9368 forum posts
21 Jan 2006 - 7:50 PM

i think you CAN prove its yours, you have the full resolution files and the culprit does NOT

dave thelens
21 Jan 2006 - 8:59 PM

Email him an invoice for unauthorised use ...

MikeFisher
21 Jan 2006 - 9:58 PM

From the site hosts Terms and Conditions

Quote: 6.4 If you are aware of any possible misuse of this Website or any other actions or content which might be in breach of these Terms, please contact abuse@travellerspoint.com.

As said in the post above , but email it to the site host to pass on to him!

roxpix
roxpix  102236 forum posts Scotland11 Constructive Critique Points
21 Jan 2006 - 11:34 PM

A quick Google search under the other name throws up some intresting results, these pics appear on a number of diff websites.

As a side issue,
I didn't realise ther were so many photo sites out there, I guess I stopped looking after I found this one Smile

DanSig
DanSig  9288 forum posts Iceland
22 Jan 2006 - 12:27 AM

I would hava a lawyer send him a bill with a warning that he will be prosecuted for copyright violation if he doesn't pay the bill and remove the images. but remember to save his webpages for evidence before you send the bill.

dave thelens
22 Jan 2006 - 12:29 AM

Having a lawer send the bill would cost, better send it yourself then if nothing happens, call in a lawer, or failing that the local Small Claims Court

Tooth
Tooth  95772 forum posts Ireland227 Constructive Critique Points
22 Jan 2006 - 1:55 AM

How about ordering a large size print of it?

jazzygf
jazzygf  10537 forum posts Scotland
22 Jan 2006 - 2:04 AM

email them try to buy a larger version of it offer them cash then you have them by the b***s

dave thelens
22 Jan 2006 - 2:17 AM

You could log on to "travellerspoint.com" and contact Steven Hogg, user name "acelazer" via this web site ... and call him a thief

daviewat
daviewat  104103 forum posts Scotland
22 Jan 2006 - 2:36 AM

He seems to be quite some cookie found 2 of my images there !!!!!!!! from the Pitlochry album he has. They are piss poor images i took when working at the hostel there.

Must be a sad wee man Smile)

Dave

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139367 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
22 Jan 2006 - 2:57 AM

I get the impression froom some of the pros on here that they are pretty laid back about this type of thing and that - beyond asking the chap to remove the pics - would not bother overly about the "punishment" aspect.

Agree with Dave....definitely a saddo!

KenTaylor
KenTaylor e2 Member 92966 forum postsKenTaylor vcard United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
22 Jan 2006 - 3:02 AM

A sad wee man indeed.
After looking at his website it is obvious that most of the shots are dubious. The website itself is very poor.
I would be inclined to contact him directly. Any action in the courts is costly and no doubt he or she knows that. Reporting to ravellerspoint may help while I see this person just moving on elsewhere. Probably has no sense of guilt and sees no harm in it while on the ego trip, hardly think there is any understanding of copyright laws although there is no commercial reference on the site.

We could all deluge him with emails offering images for a fee of any old crap.
Here he is.

Could never understand this practice that many use in these days of websites. It existed many years ago with prints aquired by one means or another for club print battles and comps.
Ken.

stevenr
stevenr  10
22 Jan 2006 - 3:10 AM

Thanks for your interesting replies. I find it incredible that people are so naive to think they can get away with this- after all there are not that many pictures of "Loch Lubnaig" out there, and most people know how to do a Google Images search these days. I am tempted to send Mr Hogg a postcard from his own site,

http://www.travellerspoint.com/pcsendcard.cfm?PhotoID=1979

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.