Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Copyright Infringment

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

lemmy
lemmy  71873 forum posts United Kingdom
3 Jan 2013 - 11:59 PM

You have copyright over photographs you make. The other party has copyright over the pictures they make. There is no copyright on ideas.

You say you were contracted - what does the contract say about your right to be the sole supplier of photographs?

If you mean you were ASKED to take the pictures that is completely different. You were asked to and you did. There is no contract in that.

The practical reality is that there is nothing you can do. She took pictures, you took pictures. For whatever reasons, maybe she gave them away, maybe they preferred her pictures to yours, her pictures have found a bigger market than yours.

It's competition and it signifies how desperate the times are now.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
3 Jan 2013 - 11:59 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

JackAllTog
JackAllTog e2 Member 53627 forum postsJackAllTog vcard United Kingdom58 Constructive Critique Points
4 Jan 2013 - 1:04 PM

Often at a wedding or event I've joined in the fun of shooting the bride and groom, both next to and off to the side of the hired photographer, to my knowledge all photo's were still purchased from the official photographer and the extra's from me and others were added fun memories to add to the whole event. Its pretty stingy to not pay the piper.

My wedding - we paid upfront and then more for the photo's we wanted, I think more contracts should be written with upfront charges such for situations like this.

e.g 100 per hour, 10 free photos and 75% off the further photo's - then they have already paid and further ones look cheap.
If other parents want photo's then this is at full price as they did not initially book you.

lemmy
4 Jan 2013 - 1:21 PM

The whole wedding photography business seems to be turning into a free for all or bun fight now. And I thought the paps were bad Wink

Newdevonian
4 Jan 2013 - 1:41 PM

Even worse; if your name is Kardashian, you can marry a bloke (anyone will do!) and charge the paps to take photographs. Good source of income! The whole procedure can be repeated as often as you need the cash.

wpolle
wpolle  1 United States
4 Jan 2013 - 4:07 PM

to straighten several points , the lady drives a school bus for the school. She attend a 8 week class which i demo methods of doing outdoor portraits she has a sony camera with zoom lens that even i was impressed with. she knew that i used ax. flash with a light slave, she is a mother of one of the cheerleaders, after i posed the individuals, set ext. lighting and i set on the ground to get the appropriate angle, the other photographer comes up right behind me over me and take the same photo now she has a facebook page saying that these are her photos she has given the school the group photo for the school publication.. ii have been a photographer for over 40 years and never had this problem, adams took his photos and no one to this day yet has produce an image in which he produce, if there had been a person that was right beside him and he did everything that ansel did, with using ansel processing teck. I believe that ansel would of been upset also, this digital. world has open the capibility of producing a good image with out having the knowledge of what photography is all about.

Focus_Man
Focus_Man  4481 forum posts United Kingdom631 Constructive Critique Points
4 Jan 2013 - 4:19 PM

It is almost impossible to do these days with the wide angled zooms available to all and sundry, but many years ago with film cameras in the 35mm models not many wedding guests had access to a 28mm lens and even less in the 6x6 models did they have 55mm lenses, I used to find somewhere to post the large groups where only the widest lenses could get all the guests in. It wasn't always possible of course so then I had to rely on providing better pictures. As I said it is now much easier to provide better quality pictures and even cheap compacts have the equivalent of a 35mm 28m lens coverage.

When guests leaned over my shoulder on other occasions, I used to ask them to keep away for a while and I would then allow them about 1 minute to take their own pictures of my groups. It never seemed to reduce my income. and on many occasions the groups started to disperse anyway after I had finished.

It is a major problem I would guess as this subject has been raised here on many occasions in the past.

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315367 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
4 Jan 2013 - 4:20 PM

Really you should have simply told her to get lost, and if she carried on switched of the lights and packed away the studio.

I can`t see you getting anywhere in front of a judge.

So what was the contract you had with the school if you had one.

lemmy
4 Jan 2013 - 6:50 PM

Quote: So what was the contract you had with the school if you had one

I asked that but never got an answer.

I still don't understand why he allowed her to plug in to his lighting set-up, though. Presumably because he taught her photography, as he says.

In the case of Ansel Adams, I doubt many people would trek into Yosemite braving the bears and cliffs and set up their tripod and plate camera beside him. I can imagine the conversation.

"whatchew doin' ere?" "Takin' pichers, 'inn' i?" "Is that right, sunshine? Shame if yer camera fell orff the cliff and a bear shoved yer tripod where the sun don't shine, eh?" "Fair enough, Ansie, baby, I'm orft!" Grin

wpolle
wpolle  1 United States
4 Jan 2013 - 7:37 PM

StrayCat This a very similar situation.

KevSB
KevSB  101407 forum posts United Kingdom5 Constructive Critique Points
4 Jan 2013 - 7:42 PM

[b] this digital. world has open the capibility of producing a good image with out having the knowledge of what photography is all about.[/b]

And why is that a bad thing! , should they make bad cameras so that only pros can take pictures. I'm sorry but that statement sounds very selfish

wpolle
wpolle  1 United States
4 Jan 2013 - 7:52 PM

Will I do appreicate all the comments, Thanks Even if i would go forward with this is would cost me a min. of 10 thousand for attoney's fee and having to fill in federal court is not worth it, Thanks again.

lemmy
4 Jan 2013 - 7:58 PM

Are you American, then wpolle? Federal court, attoney?

In the UK if you fill in the judge, you'd be in big trubbule, I don't know about America, though. Perhaps courts their like getting filled in!

wpolle
wpolle  1 United States
4 Jan 2013 - 8:06 PM

KevSB when you study and strive to produce an image that not only you believe its a great photo and other people appreciate it also and then some bembo stands right behind you using your knowledge and ability not even including your equipment, it just makes you want to junk all your equipment and get out of the profession 40 years i have been doing this, let the person that just picked up a camera go into human bodies, hang out of planes or stand on the edge of a tall building, not to even speak of the formal training,or trying to get that special shot while bullets flying past you head . Getting a good photo and stealing the concept are too different things!

wpolle
wpolle  1 United States
4 Jan 2013 - 8:14 PM

I sorry Lemmy Im not sure what your trying to explain to me, I think that your trying to say that uk courts do not want to know all the circumstances. but yes courts in the us do want to know all the particulars.

wpolle
wpolle  1 United States
4 Jan 2013 - 8:18 PM

I sorry Lemmy i would have to file in federal court not fill. sorry.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.