Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Copyright issues

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

New PortraitPro 12 SALE + 10% OFF code EPZROS814
Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    Imagine23
    Imagine23  8241 forum posts United Kingdom
    2 Jul 2009 - 5:58 PM

Hello,

I just have a quick question about copyright. I've looked on the through the other forums but still not 100% sure of the answer. Recently I did the photography for a conference and sent the client a low and high res disc of the images. They have put the images on their website, which of course is fine, but they have also put a statement saying 'Please be aware that *company name* owns strict copyright on these images, and that prior permission must be sought from *company name* for these images to be used elsewhere.' I believe that this is incorrect as far as the copyright issue goes (I didn't sign it over-is this correct?), but if other people wanted to use the images would it be in my right to sell them, even though I was hired to produce them for this particular client? This is where I'm not sure what the situation is.

Thanks,

Lynn

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    2 Jul 2009 - 5:58 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

contemporary dave

If you did not make any prior arrangements with the client, by default, the copyright is yours, not theirs.

As for selling them to a third party, I would clear it with your client first. I recently did some headshots for a law firm, one of the subjects I did called me a month or two later and told me that she had left the firm and wanted a copy of the shot. I decided to contact the client to see if they had any objections. They said I was not to let her have any copies and thanked me for letting them know. If you did go behind the clients back, you might not get any more business from them.

Last Modified By contemporary dave at 2 Jul 2009 - 6:09 PM
    John_Frid
    John_Frid  8514 forum posts United Kingdom56 Constructive Critique Points
    2 Jul 2009 - 6:14 PM

Unless you signed over the copyright to the company then it remains with you.

Although in law you retain the copyright, not all clients understand this. Therefore, it is always best to have written terms and conditions that set out specifically what the client can (and can't) do with the images you provide. This will hopefully stop them trying to take ownership of your copyright, and may give you bargaining power to charge more if they want to extend the permited use.

EDIT - your T&C's should also be clear about what rights you retain - this avoids ambiguity on both sides.

Last Modified By John_Frid at 2 Jul 2009 - 6:17 PM
    Imagine23
    Imagine23  8241 forum posts United Kingdom
    3 Jul 2009 - 11:10 AM

Thanks Smile

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.