Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Copyright on product photography

maggie9 6 45 2 Scotland
27 Jan 2009 8:20AM
i took a photograph of some well known scottish biscuits/cakes in thier distinctive wrappers a while ago.
if i were to upload it into my website and offer it up for general sale, would i be breaking copyright of the biscuit/cake company? or would i have to pay a contribution of any money i make from it? (which pobably would be highly unlikely! but best to know where i stand)

thanku

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

User_Removed 12 7.3k 6 United Kingdom
27 Jan 2009 8:40AM
Morning!

Send me the biscuits and I'll check Smile

It depends largely on intended usage of the photos. If the images were sold for editorial use (for example, an article about Scottish tourism or about industry etc.), then there isn't a problem. If the images are used for commercial purposes (i.e. to promote an event, hotel, product etc.) then a 'product release' would be required from the product owner

Smile
User_Removed 8 2.1k 7 England
27 Jan 2009 8:42AM
Interesting question but I would think you were ok. If you took a picture of a car you would be ok. I would say that posting it here is just free advertising for them. Selling it? Don't know but again I would think it ok. Someone here will know I am sure.
User_Removed 8 2.1k 7 England
27 Jan 2009 8:43AM
See Barrie knew, and he's faster on the keyboard than me!
27 Jan 2009 9:14AM
I employ a typist to sit at my screen typing as I dictate - it's much quicker Wink
maggie9 6 45 2 Scotland
27 Jan 2009 6:05PM
hmmmm, i went down a similar thought process as you have, but i just wanted to be sure

thanku
CaptivePixels 6 343 2 Scotland
7 Feb 2009 10:13AM

Quote:It depends largely on intended usage of the photos. If the images were sold for editorial use (for example, an article about Scottish tourism or about industry etc.), then there isn't a problem. If the images are used for commercial purposes (i.e. to promote an event, hotel, product etc.) then a 'product release' would be required from the product owner

What if they were used online as part of an amateur photographer's general portfolio (general arty / advertising type looks) but not for sale?

I guess it would be a different case again if they were used for the purposes of demonstrating a professional photographer's skills to potential clients? Or does the fact that again they would not be for sale make a difference?
SteveCharles 11 2.3k 18 England
7 Feb 2009 10:43AM

Quote:I employ a typist to sit at my screen typing as I dictate

So you don't use your dictaphone...?
7 Feb 2009 12:51PM

Quote:So you don't use your dictaphone...?

No..... doesn't it hurt a bit? Smile
Carabosse e2
11 39.5k 269 England
7 Feb 2009 12:52PM
I think your mixing it up with other battery-operated devices, Barrie.Smile

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.