Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Copyright on product photography

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    maggie9
    maggie9  545 forum posts Scotland2 Constructive Critique Points
    27 Jan 2009 - 8:20 AM

i took a photograph of some well known scottish biscuits/cakes in thier distinctive wrappers a while ago.
    if i were to upload it into my website and offer it up for general sale, would i be breaking copyright of the biscuit/cake company? or would i have to pay a contribution of any money i make from it? (which pobably would be highly unlikely! but best to know where i stand)

thanku

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    27 Jan 2009 - 8:20 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

User_Removed
    27 Jan 2009 - 8:40 AM

Morning!

Send me the biscuits and I'll check Smile

It depends largely on intended usage of the photos. If the images were sold for editorial use (for example, an article about Scottish tourism or about industry etc.), then there isn't a problem. If the images are used for commercial purposes (i.e. to promote an event, hotel, product etc.) then a 'product release' would be required from the product owner

Smile

Last Modified By User_Removed at 27 Jan 2009 - 8:41 AM
    User_Removed
    27 Jan 2009 - 8:42 AM

Interesting question but I would think you were ok. If you took a picture of a car you would be ok. I would say that posting it here is just free advertising for them. Selling it? Don't know but again I would think it ok. Someone here will know I am sure.

User_Removed
    27 Jan 2009 - 8:43 AM

See Barrie knew, and he's faster on the keyboard than me!

User_Removed
    27 Jan 2009 - 9:14 AM

I employ a typist to sit at my screen typing as I dictate - it's much quicker Wink

maggie9
    maggie9  545 forum posts Scotland2 Constructive Critique Points
    27 Jan 2009 - 6:05 PM

hmmmm, i went down a similar thought process as you have, but i just wanted to be sure

thanku

CaptivePixels
    7 Feb 2009 - 10:13 AM

Quote: It depends largely on intended usage of the photos. If the images were sold for editorial use (for example, an article about Scottish tourism or about industry etc.), then there isn't a problem. If the images are used for commercial purposes (i.e. to promote an event, hotel, product etc.) then a 'product release' would be required from the product owner

What if they were used online as part of an amateur photographer's general portfolio (general arty / advertising type looks) but not for sale?

I guess it would be a different case again if they were used for the purposes of demonstrating a professional photographer's skills to potential clients? Or does the fact that again they would not be for sale make a difference?

SteveCharles
    7 Feb 2009 - 10:43 AM

Quote: I employ a typist to sit at my screen typing as I dictate

So you don't use your dictaphone...?

User_Removed
    7 Feb 2009 - 12:51 PM

Quote: So you don't use your dictaphone...?

No..... doesn't it hurt a bit? Smile

Carabosse
    Carabosse e2 Member 1139392 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
    7 Feb 2009 - 12:52 PM

I think your mixing it up with other battery-operated devices, Barrie.Smile

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.