Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Corfu Locations

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

55% OFF new PortraitPro 12 - use code EPHZROS414.
Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    AdrianTurner
    12 Aug 2004 - 1:48 PM

Were of to Corfu in a few weeks, can anyone suggest 'must not miss' photo locations?

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    12 Aug 2004 - 1:48 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

proberts
    proberts  10218 forum posts Wales4 Constructive Critique Points
    12 Aug 2004 - 2:14 PM

Went there a couple of months ago,the best way to see the island is to hire a car.If you like sunsets,then i would suggest sunset beach in Sidari.The island is also covered in olive trees with fabulous roots and trunks.Overall,sunset beach is fabulous though.Huge cliff faces with fabulous views and theres also a lovely restaurant to watch the sun setting into the sea.Have a great time.
    Andrew.

AdrianTurner
    12 Aug 2004 - 2:46 PM

Thanks Andrew, We intend hiring a car for a couple of days so wee'll take a look at Sidari.

nigelf22
    nigelf22  9583 forum posts
    12 Aug 2004 - 2:53 PM

The old town is usually ok for few shots if you can find something not too cliched, as is the park next to the castle...Go west to Agios Gordis for sunset over the sea, but you may have to work hard to find something to frame it with. Used to be a small Taverna at one end of the beach which was OK for beachy shots - probably changed a bit since I was there.. at night there wasn't much light pollution and you could get some good star shots...Olive trees and dusty looking hills all over the place. Go to the old harbour at Cassiopia in the north you may find some trad fishing boats (but lots of tavernas)The new marina (if they've completed it) may provide some modern counterpoint....Corfu is not a big place to cover, but for gawds sake watch out for the big aircon coaches that double as the local bus transport esp on blind bends in the hills and blind corners in the villages.....talking of which you may still find a few of the old ladies sitting in the sun knitting and chatting swathed in black in 100 deg. heat. Drink plenty of water and if you want to play mad dog's and englishman photo the town at midday - siesta time- few people, but harsh light. Take a polariser..and aspirin, the local Retsina is wicked....

AdrianTurner
    12 Aug 2004 - 3:10 PM

Cheers Nigel, lots to think about here. We are staying in a small village near Ipsos, so it's starting to look like taking in the North East and North coasts one day and another for the West coast. Anyone know of anything worth the trip to the South?

AdrianTurner
    13 Aug 2004 - 12:13 PM

Any information regarding the South of the island would be appreciated.

county
    county  955 forum posts
    13 Aug 2004 - 7:45 PM

Hi digiart, I have visited corfu most summers, over the last 15 years.
    I am not that familiar with the south of the island though i have visited st george (south) and i didn't feel there was much to see. Kavos and sidari have some of the best though busiest beaches on the island.
    As already said agios gordis is very good for sunsets, and you may see the odd paraglider jumping off the mountain top above to land on the beach beside you. The beach here is very busy.
    Myrtiotissa, a small beach on the west of the island and not on most maps is the most gorgeous beach i have ever seen (though it is nudist), the water is cold, and the naked taverna owner makes your sandwiches to order (don't have the sausage!). You need a 4x4 or motocross bike to make the last few hundred yards, or you can park in the woods.
    The best sunset I have seen is from the panorama taverna in the village of afionas, on the hilltop between st george (north) and arillas. the taverna is built on stilts on the cliffside giving an unforgettable view of the sunset.
    Kassiopi is a nice little fishing village which is now busy with tourists, get there early to get the best pics of the harbour.
    I've used corfu sunrise car hire for the last few years, they've been very friendly and professional, and are willing to do a deal prior to your arrival, picking up the car at airport and dropping off there cuts out the dreaded transfers.
    If i can be of any more help let me know.
    john

AdrianTurner
    13 Aug 2004 - 7:54 PM

John thanks very much for all the info.

Thanks again to everyone, hope I can do justice to the advice given.

Adrian.

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.