Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Cornwall Location Suggestions

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

55% OFF new PortraitPro 12 - use code EPHZROS414.
MeanGreeny
19 Mar 2007 - 9:33 AM

Off to Cornwall for a few days holiday and could do with :

1) Sunrise/sunset locations within 30 mins of Mousehole

2) Any other places of note for landscapes.

I know it's absolutely overflowing with them but have not been down that far before and won't have too much time for recce.

I've heard of the famous ones like St Michaels Mount, Sennen Bay and Porth Nanven Cove but don't know of too many others.

I've looked in the photo locations section but it's pretty bare.

TIA

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
19 Mar 2007 - 9:33 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

CathyT
CathyT e2 Member 87253 forum postsCathyT vcard United Kingdom18 Constructive Critique Points
19 Mar 2007 - 9:38 AM

Paul Frost and Geoffphoto are based in Cornwall, not that you'd want to meet them......LOL :0)

I'm sure they can give you some good advice...

ZenTog
ZenTog  127875 forum posts England1 Constructive Critique Points
19 Mar 2007 - 10:00 AM

ahh cathy T I thought you were one of my fan club!!!!!
anyway I am much better looking than geoff just not as rich!!

all the way from penzance round the coast to st ives is chock a block with good locations
porthcurno etc sennen cove , zennor the zennor moors are superb with several stone circles and standing stones
st ives is good for sunsets as well
Hayle river mouth is really good for the blue water yellow sand abstract landscapes

Helpful Post! This post was flagged as helpful
CathyT
CathyT e2 Member 87253 forum postsCathyT vcard United Kingdom18 Constructive Critique Points
19 Mar 2007 - 10:03 AM

Quote: anyway I am much better looking than geoff

did you hear that Geoff....

diphoto
diphoto  7 England
19 Mar 2007 - 10:06 AM

Hi Simon

My favourite part of the country, I recommend the Crown mines, near St Just, awesome coastline along with ruins of the old tin mine engine houses....enjoy

Des

joolsb
joolsb e2 Member 927107 forum postsjoolsb vcard Switzerland38 Constructive Critique Points
19 Mar 2007 - 11:00 AM

When are you going to be there, Simon?

CathyI
CathyI e2 Member 9344 forum postsCathyI vcard United Kingdom3 Constructive Critique Points
19 Mar 2007 - 12:37 PM

I second all of the above! Personal faves between Penzance and St. Ives are Treen, Porthgwarra, Porth Nanven (obviously!) and St. Ives itself. For something a bit different near St. Ives, head up to Knills monument (literally just "up the hill" from Carbis Bay village) for an excellent view over the bay...

You can also find some great places down the W side of the Lizard peninsula - can personally recommend Porthleven, particularly if the weather's rough - v. spectacular! (also has a great pasty shop and pub!). Rinsey Head is also good. Kynance Cove is another favourite and I also had a bit of a recce at Gunwalloe last time I was down that way and noted it as a place to go back to - however, the last 2 are probably getting a bit further away than your 30 mins.

Hope that helps!

mamboandrew
19 Mar 2007 - 1:07 PM

Not wanting to hijack the thread but I'm off to the North coast (Polzeath) in a few weeks, any tips for some local frame fillers? - I'll have the family in tow so need to be selective!

Thanks

CathyI
CathyI e2 Member 9344 forum postsCathyI vcard United Kingdom3 Constructive Critique Points
19 Mar 2007 - 1:14 PM

With respect to what I've already said about locations near Mousehole, I forgot to add Loe Pool/Bar (near Porthleven).

As far as Polzeath is concerned: N of, for starters I would suggest Boscastle, Port Isaac and Port Quin; S of - Padstow, Trevose Head and around there...

ZenTog
ZenTog  127875 forum posts England1 Constructive Critique Points
19 Mar 2007 - 1:26 PM

north cornwall devon boarders , try tintagel allright for all the family ,try sT necterns glen waterfall (really good location), rocky valley , boscastle and its execellent witch craft museum , and the camel trail on push bikes a great ride with great scenary , bikes are avialable at either wadebridge bodmin or padstowe

diphoto
diphoto  7 England
19 Mar 2007 - 1:32 PM

Simon, I forgot this one..
If the weather is good, take a scenic flight from Penzance Heliport to the Scilly ilses, the views from the chopper are amazing especially on the return leg as it covers Lands end to Penzance.

Des

MeanGreeny
19 Mar 2007 - 6:19 PM

Some great suggestions there.

Thanks to everybody so far

Looked at the Penzance Heli flights but they're about 125 return for 15 min either way!!

diphoto
diphoto  7 England
19 Mar 2007 - 7:20 PM

Hi Simon, 2007 prices - Scenic flight (you stay on the chopper ready for return) 44 each, only bookable on the day. Recommend a decent lens, I only had a 18-70mm, still got some good shots though.

Have fun.
Des

rossd
rossd  101061 forum posts England
19 Mar 2007 - 8:53 PM

30 mins from Mousehole?? Try Porthgwarras cove (head for St Buryan from Mousehole and pick up the B3315 - its the next accessible cove after Porthcurno).From the carpark follow the footpath up over the cliff tops, past the coastguard station, and you get stunning sunsets across Lands End. Also towering cliffs, huge rock formations and open wild moorland. Get an Ordance Survey map (Explorer 7, Lands End) and you will see where I mean. Also, as previously suggested, the road from St Just to St Ives, the B3306, is IMO the most scenic coast road in England. The sea on your left and large expanses of wild moors on your right. One point, check the tides as the coves,beaches are best photographed at low water (especially Porthcurno, best early morning at low tide).
Lived in Cornwall for 15 years so I'm envious!!

Good luck.

MeanGreeny
20 Mar 2007 - 10:33 AM

Lots of great stuff there for me. Thanks very much

joolsb - We go down on Sunday. Stopping at the Bedruthan Steps Hotel for 1 night and then down to Mousehole for the rest of the week

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.