Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

cost of lenses

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    starwars1950
    2 Dec 2011 - 11:10 PM

I have a pentax 20d DSLR. I have made the decision to buy a short telephoto lens 28 - 70 and the cost for a freasonably fast lens (F2.8) is ridiculous. after a lot of searching managed to find a new Sigma lens for less than 300. This is a rarity as even the 2nd hand market as you move to the fatser lenses can be 300, 500 plus.
    Does any one know a good site for decent priced 2nd hand equipment.Sad

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    2 Dec 2011 - 11:10 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

StrayCat
    StrayCat e2 Member 1014648 forum postsStrayCat vcard Canada2 Constructive Critique Points
    3 Dec 2011 - 1:01 AM

I use, and have for many years, Ebay. Just for your info, there is an excellent Pentax 100mm f2.8 macro lens available, an older model, which is all metal barrel, and great optics, which usually sells for abouy $300. 00 - $375.00 US dollars. I had one when I was using Pentax.

Last Modified By StrayCat at 3 Dec 2011 - 1:04 AM
    Ade_Osman
    Ade_Osman e2 Member 114493 forum postsAde_Osman vcard England36 Constructive Critique Points
    3 Dec 2011 - 5:02 AM

You could try a few of the well known second hand dealers that sell on the net, here's a couple that should get you going:

Fordes Photographic

Mifsuds Photographic

Both have very good reputations.....

Ade

thewilliam
    3 Dec 2011 - 9:16 AM

Ffordes, with the double "f" at the beginning, are particularly strict with grading. You won't be disappointed with anything from them. Mifsuds are solid and reliable.

They're not alwaysy more expensive than eBay and both give a warranty which you don't get when buying from eBay.

Check eBay seller feedback very carefully. Those with plenty of 100% positive from UK buyers can generally be trusted.

ray835
    ray835  5149 forum posts Wales
    3 Dec 2011 - 9:42 AM

had a look in there shop whilst on hols this year well impressed.......only downside had wifey with me so couldn't buy owt!

User_Removed
    3 Dec 2011 - 10:23 AM

Quote: Ffordes, with the double "f" at the beginning, are particularly strict with grading. You won't be disappointed with anything from them. Mifsuds are solid and reliable.

They're not alwaysy more expensive than eBay and both give a warranty which you don't get when buying from eBay.

Check eBay seller feedback very carefully. Those with plenty of 100% positive from UK buyers can generally be trusted.

Slight misconception here - you don't buy from eBay. eBay don't sell things. And on eBay you find all sorts of sellers, some very reputable giving full warranties; others less so. So, as thewilliam says, check them out carefully. But don't be afraid of private sellers - they are often where you will get the best deal. For example, 15months ago, I bought a Nikon D3s from a private seller on eBay. It was 4 months old, had a full UK warranty, only had 1400 shutter actuations and I got it at 750 less than the best "street" price at the time.

Regarding Ffordes and Mifsuds, they do indeed have good reputations but be aware that their advertised prices are "out of the box". Generally secondhand retailers like this add 100% to the price they bought the goods for. No doubt they do hope that some mug will pay this. But, normally, they will settle for half that mark-up so, if you do the maths, you will see that a reasonable price to offer them will be 25% less than their ticket prices.

ChrisTom
    ChrisTom  672 forum posts United Kingdom
    3 Dec 2011 - 10:53 AM

SRS: Watford, plus on line sales.

Normally has a good selection of Pentex used lens, both Pentax and other brand Pentax fit.
    Fare prices, very good customer service.

Take care.

Chris R.
    I. El. (Eng). (Rtd).

gpwalton
    gpwalton  1390 forum posts
    3 Dec 2011 - 12:32 PM

I have bought good second hand equipment from SRS, Midsuds, FFordes and London Camera Exchange. These all stock Pentax and Pentax fit equipment.
    When you consider that shops have to cover the cost of Overheads (shop,stock and staff) 3 or 6 months Warranty and VAT, I think that the private sellers ask too much.

The Pentax User Site which is related to Ephotozine has an active members sales area.

saxon_image
    3 Dec 2011 - 12:59 PM

It might be worth considering the Tamron 28-75 f2.8 XR Di - cracking lens for the money and probably my most used lens (on a Nikon). Currently showing on some web sites at under 300 (but be careful as some are actually Hong Kong based). On the seocnd-hand fronmt I've bought from Ffordes, Mifsuds, Peter Walnes and LCE and have found all very reliable suppliers.

kodachrome
    3 Dec 2011 - 2:38 PM

I bought a Sigma 17-75 from 'One Stop Digital' and the lens was shipped from Hong Kong.
    Excellent service and the package was tracked all the way with up date E Mails. I waited just under 10 days and it was cheaper than any dealer in Europe at that time.

Pete

whatsthisbuttondo
    whatsthisbuttondo e2 Member 3whatsthisbuttondo vcard England
    6 Dec 2011 - 10:05 PM

Join pentaxuser.co.uk
    pete

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.