Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

cost of photoshop

12 May 2012 4:57AM
if adobe knocked 50% off the cost of photoshop more would have it in fact i think it is way overpriced adobe know we need it the cost to them is pennies they just want to line the pockits

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

12 May 2012 7:29AM
The research and development is what you pay for, not just the CD. Having said that i had a look at the prices recently and its over 600 for the latest version which in my opinion is a bit overpriced (for me anyway). I had a look at Gimp which is free and its a bit slow but maybe that's my computer.
12 May 2012 8:28AM
adobe have more then made the money back 10 fold for research and development its just a case of fat cats getting fatter
lobsterboy e2
11 14.3k 13 United Kingdom
12 May 2012 8:40AM
Photoshop is the full blown professional version aimed at those who are going to use it for work and priced accordingly - most of the software I use at work is priced at a similar level.
Photoshop Elements is reasonably priced and aimed at the home market.

How many of the features that are not in Elements do you actually need? Apparently a lot of the missing features can be unlocked for $12
KenTaylor e2
10 3.0k 2 United Kingdom
12 May 2012 9:35AM
For a good proportion of us here then Elements is fine.
There is of course Lightroom which is excellent.
Big Bri e2
13 15.7k United Kingdom
12 May 2012 9:57AM
gazlowe

You obviously have no idea of the cost that goes into developing something like Photoshop. If you think they are fat cats, why not apply to them for a job? If you have the talent to it, of course.
66tricky e2
8 742 Scotland
12 May 2012 10:17AM
You'd probably be better investing in a keyboard with a shift key and punctuation keys and a spell checker before forking out for PS.Tongue

BTW if you don't want to spend 600 buy Elements or use Gimp (which I use). Gimp can do most things that PS can do but you just have to work a bit harder at it, which is fair as you are not paying Adobe's software devs to do it for you...
KenTaylor e2
10 3.0k 2 United Kingdom
12 May 2012 10:56AM

Quote:adobe know we need it

Not sure about that. there are others.
It maybe that we want it rather than a need proving how good it is plus their marketing skills..

Its the benchmark for all others.
steveh5 e2
3 78 United Kingdom
12 May 2012 11:44AM
I use Paintshop x4, it doe's most of what I want for 50, The only problem is panorama's, will do them but hard work, Elements 6 20.
Total cost 70 and I get everything I want.
thewilliam e2
6 4.9k
12 May 2012 12:35PM
I imagine that very few people actually pay for Photoshop.

Although we have a strict "road-legal" policy with all software at our studio, at a meeting of a photographers' association, the speaker asked who was using a legal copy of PS. I felt very lonely when I looked around at the few hands that were raised.

So does it matter what Adobe charges?
cameracat e2
11 8.6k 61 Norfolk Island
12 May 2012 12:42PM

Quote:Photoshop Elements is reasonably priced and aimed at the home market.

Absolutely.....Grin

Having tested PSE V10 recently, It offers more than enough for the vast majority, Probably many pro's also.

Ran PSE V10 head to head with PaintShop Pro X4 for a month or so, Adobes Photoshop Elements ver 10, Wins hands down every time, Not just in whats on offer software wise, But quite simply its just a whole lot more polished & stable on even a fairly modest hardware set-up.....!!!!!!!!

Corels Paintshop X4, Is a big improvement on previous Corels efforts of this software, BUT it is still a " Work In Progress " on all levels, Unless you like beta testing, Or being a Corel Guinea pig...

Dial in the price of the Elements package with Premiere ( Seeing as Video capability is now standard on most cameras ) Then you have a bargain software, That actually works.....Grin

Wink
12 May 2012 1:01PM
well here gos just paid for Photoshop Elements so i will see whats what sorry if i upset anyone just wanted to get a few feelings and as for my spellings and punctuations. 66tricky was there any need to bring that up regards Garry
66tricky e2
8 742 Scotland
12 May 2012 2:38PM

Quote: 66tricky was there any need to bring that up regards Garry

It's not easy on the eyes to try to read a long stream of lowercase words that are intended to be sentences but have no punctuation or visual clues as to where one sentence ends and the next starts. I assume you don't speak without pausing for breath so extend that notion to typing and your points will come across stronger. HTH
User_Removed 4 48 1 United Kingdom
12 May 2012 3:14PM
gazlowe do not worry, there is always one.
Regards, Alf.
Big Bri e2
13 15.7k United Kingdom
12 May 2012 3:25PM

Quote:Gazlowe do not worry, there is always one.
Regards, Alf.

66tricky, don't worry, ^ there's always one ^

Cheers
Bri

Wink

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.