Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Could this be the end for the last Vulcan?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

213hardy
213hardy e2 Member 6555 forum posts213hardy vcard England
3 Nov 2012 - 10:01 PM

After seeing the cockpit from a vulcan sat in a farm yard yesterday, This caught my eye in the news today.Sad

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-south-yorkshire-19952395

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
3 Nov 2012 - 10:01 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

User_Removed
3 Nov 2012 - 10:18 PM

In a word...

Yes.

And as one who has stood at the edge of one of the bomb craters immediately before the one that hit 'the runway'... as sad loss.

Especially when one thinks of all the Spitfires 'running around then... the 'overheads' are enormous in comparison.

KevSB
KevSB  101407 forum posts United Kingdom5 Constructive Critique Points
3 Nov 2012 - 10:21 PM

There has to be a point where they can not be kept flying no longer, with an aircraft like this an extensive rebuild is just not feasible, shame but at least it will be maintained for ground use.

I saw it last year and its wonderful to see and when it flew over at low level it made me think about the Falklands and the shock to the soldiers guarding the airfield, 1 minute they was thousand of miles away from any threat and no worries about what we could do to them as a nation. That illusion was shattered with the arrival of the Vulcan , being nuclear capable it must have sent a clear message that they would never be safe.
If they knew the true story of how lucky we was to even get it there , the RAF did not even have any maps for the south Atlantic. And the crew decided to continue knowing it was going to be one way trip, by pure luck and guts by the Vulcan and last tanker they made it back, great story if you ever find the time.

213hardy
3 Nov 2012 - 10:25 PM

Quote: If they knew the true story of how lucky we was to even get it there , the RAF did not even have any maps for the south Atlantic. And the crew decided to continue knowing it was going to be one way trip, by pure luck and guts by the Vulcan and last tanker they made it back, great story if you ever find the time.

Funnily enough the Farmer yesterday told me the story, absolutely amazing. As i understand it there was a fleet of tankers supplying the vulcan and themselves, when it hooked up to the last tanker it was running on fumes.

Much respect goes to all the crews involved.

Den

213hardy
3 Nov 2012 - 10:34 PM

Just found this too, the story of the raid on Stanley.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-17878657

And the Wikipedia entry: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Black_Buck

daviewat
daviewat  104104 forum posts Scotland
3 Nov 2012 - 10:44 PM

Sad yes but it has come to its end ex. I remember standing by those crators Mike slightly before you would have !!!!!!!!! Smile see if you can pick yours !!

blackbuck6.jpg

But for me the most amazing sight was all the V aircraft lined up in RAF Ascension Island it was an awsome sight, maybay never seen before and certainly never since. Now what we need is a dedicated few to bring the English Electric Lightning back to the air. That would seriously blow peoples minds to see that sucker go Smile

blackbuck8.jpg

Last Modified By daviewat at 3 Nov 2012 - 10:51 PM
213hardy
3 Nov 2012 - 10:49 PM

Quote: Sad yes but it has come to its end ex. I remember standing by those crators Mike slightly before you would have !!!!!!!!! Smile But for me the most amazing sight was all the V aircraft lined up in RAF Ascension Island it was an awsome sight, maybay never seen before and certainly never since. Now what we need is a dedicated few to bring the English Electric Lightning back to the air. That would seriously blow peoples minds to see that sucker go Smile

Funny you should say that David, guess what was in the same yard....

http://www.ephotozine.com/user/213hardy-85801/gallery/photo/bac-lightning--30187...

Wink

daviewat
3 Nov 2012 - 10:52 PM

Quote: Sad yes but it has come to its end ex. I remember standing by those crators Mike slightly before you would have !!!!!!!!! Smile But for me the most amazing sight was all the V aircraft lined up in RAF Ascension Island it was an awsome sight, maybay never seen before and certainly never since. Now what we need is a dedicated few to bring the English Electric Lightning back to the air. That would seriously blow peoples minds to see that sucker go Smile

Funny you should say that David, guess what was in the same yard....

http://www.ephotozine.com/user/213hardy-85801/gallery/photo/bac-lightning--30187...

Wink

Thats the fella AWSOME

213hardy
3 Nov 2012 - 10:57 PM

Quote: Thats the fella AWSOME

The best thing is, I have the fellas number and he said i could go back anytime, he's quite happy for me to take the kids as well. Also has a couple of other cockpits sat around and a couple of merlin engines from a pair of Spits

The Lighting really amazed me, cos it looks like it just 2 engines with a seat bolted on top.

KevSB
KevSB  101407 forum posts United Kingdom5 Constructive Critique Points
3 Nov 2012 - 11:13 PM

The fuel issue was true, and when they arrived at the falklands thay coud not find them so had to pop up above the radar to take a look.
fortunate there navigation wasent far off and thay found the islands, the 1 bomb that landed on the runway out of 20 plus had little efect on operational capacity but the moral took a big dive and aircraft all over Argentina was held back to defend the mainland.

All in all it was a disaster waiting to happen but luck, brave and (crazy) pilots made the difference

Willpower
Willpower  3188 forum posts United Kingdom
3 Nov 2012 - 11:18 PM

This makes me really sad. I worked on both the Victor and Vulcan fleets while I was in the RAF and to see the demise of the last of these iconic aircraft being able to fly is very upsetting. I have contributed to the trust every year and it is such a shame that the refurbishment that XH558 needs is so costly, although I understand that there comes a point when the burden just becomes too great.

Lets just hope that the Trust is able to continue to look after XH558 for future generations so that they might be able to see the true excellence of British aeronautical design and hopefully to hear that famous Vulcan howl.

I was also lucky enough to spend some time with 56Sqn flying Lightnings in Cyprus. A truly phenomenal aircraft. When they were scrambled on a QRA (Quick Reaction Alert) to see them climbing into the sky on afterburners is truly an awesome sight.

gwynn56
gwynn56  269 forum posts England
4 Nov 2012 - 5:19 AM

a shame realy , yet how much did that dome cost , the olympics , how much given to foreign countries , how much fiddled by MP's
i'm sure the lottery fund could pay each year Smile

kodachrome
4 Nov 2012 - 8:59 AM

The trouble is, most British governments and their leaders are not that interested in military preservation, unlike the US where many past presidents served, some as pilots, such as George Bush senior. They supported most aviation preservations run in the US. As a kid I played with model planes and went to air shows and joined the air cadets and learned to fly gliders, it ended up in my blood. What do you think Cameron played with as a child, doll's houses and Teddy bears, was he ever an air cadet!

I looked after [Flight line Mech] 111 & 29 Sqd Lightnings and saw the various models from the 2A, 3 and 6 before we saw the F-4 Phantoms take over. Our Lightning F-3 on QRA had just over 50 minutes duration on full intercept over the North sea and several times they would have to drop into Norway for refuel as they were too far away to get home. Our CO went mad when this happened.

Although the Vulcan captured the public's imagination, it was the Victor B-2 that had a superior flight envelope, it could fly higher, faster, further with a slightly bigger bomb load, but sadly they had all been converted to tankers by the time the Falklands started, plus they were all showing signs of main wing spar fatigue which eventually grounded them.

There was an aviation preservation group in the USA who offered to keep the Vulcan flying provided it was based in the US. I think this was a no no.

daviewat
4 Nov 2012 - 11:04 AM

I remember vividly one Argentinian conscript saying to me ,minutes after he was captured, Man where the f**k did that bomber come from the other week ???? He went on to say most of his comrades believed it to be a devil aircraft as the thought of any aircraft that large with such a bomb capacity could possibly have come from as far away as it did. So yes it was a massive moral dip for them and even though on that trip only a couple of bombs were true to target the impact was very deep indeed.

But sadly the Vulcan has really now come to its end of life, flying wise, there is no other example that is even considered worthy of refit etc so ground preservation will be its future.

As for the Victors yes they were an amazing aircraft and when sat in the cockpit of them a most unusual view of the outside world was had due to the glass wrapping the nose, almost, of the aircraft.

7685522174-8d49ba40da-k.jpg

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139466 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
4 Nov 2012 - 11:37 AM

Quote: He went on to say most of his comrades believed it to be a devil aircraft

Maybe persuade the MoD to stump up the money for a refit - so that it can be used to swoop down on the Taliban or whatever? Could be quite effective! Wink

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.