Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

Could this be the end for the last Vulcan?

KevSB 10 1.5k 5 United Kingdom
5 Nov 2012 9:48AM

Quote:That's odd, because most people I know that have flown them say they are pretty good, until, that is, you fly a Spitfire!
Solid, airworthy, forgiving and very flyable, with a wide stable undercarriage, the main problem was not being able to see ahead when taxying, due to the long nose and tail wheel configuration. And not good at night, due to the exhaust stubs being a couple of feet in front of you and glowing brightly with the heat.
It was built using technology familiar to first war ground crews, and was able to be fixed in the field, without extensive facilities, unlike the Spitfire.

The overwhelming impression I got was that the Hurricane was a riders horse, whereas the Spitfire was a thoroughbred racer.

The pilot which said and took us round, flys many historical aircraft covering nearly every decade of flight, so I expect his point of reference is based on that, about the hurricane he did say that its was essentally a fabric designed Aircraft that had been built in metal so the aircraft in question was obvously a later version, and im sure he said this airframe was one of those that was launched from merchent ships and would have to be recovered after use if no aircraft carrier had been around. Long day and so much information at my age is hard to remeber it all.

Just a shame the weather was so bad so very little chance to take the shots we wanted to altho we did get to roll one of the aircraft out of the Hanger and do some photos.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Carabosse e2
11 39.7k 269 England
5 Nov 2012 10:16AM
I thought Vulcan fans might like to see what's on the cover of 1952 edition of my collection of the Observers Book of Aircraft. Smile At that stage the Vulcan was still in development and there were very few details about the aircraft in the book.

oba-vulcan.jpg

Sooty_1 4 1.3k 203 United Kingdom
5 Nov 2012 11:25AM
That will be the development Vulcan B1, with the straight delta wing. The B2 version had a modified double-delta wing (among other modifications), which is the variant we are more familiar with.

Don't get me started on the decimation of the British aero industry in the 50s and 60s. Just read
"Empire of the Skies" by James Hamilton-Paterson and be prepared to mourn the loss!

Nick
Jestertheclown 6 6.6k 242 England
5 Nov 2012 12:28PM

Quote:"Empire of the Skies"

I'll bookmark that.
I haven't joined this thread yet, although I've been following it with interest.
Aircraft have always been of great interest to me and I can well remember aircraft of the 50s and 60s as a child living on the Sussex coast.
Sooty_1 4 1.3k 203 United Kingdom
5 Nov 2012 1:17PM
If you love aircraft, keep some tissues handy when you read it! (And not because it will excite you...Tongue).

Nick
Jestertheclown 6 6.6k 242 England
5 Nov 2012 2:24PM
5.98 0n Am*zon.

That's too good to miss.
geoffash26 10 2.5k United Kingdom
5 Nov 2012 7:08PM
For those who commented about the lightning, if you have a spare 10 000 euros you can go for a flip in one 45mins to the edge of space Thundercity
chris.maddock 13 3.4k United Kingdom
5 Nov 2012 7:31PM

Quote:For those who commented about the lightning, if you have a spare 10 000 euros you can go for a flip in one 45mins to the edge of space Thundercity

Afraid not - following a Lightning crash in 2009 they no longer take paying customers and, indeed, no longer have an operating licence. Their 3 remaining Lightnings, 3 Buccs and 4 Hunters were put up for sale by private treaty just over a year ago. Haven't heard anything more recently though.

They flogged a spare set of Lighting tyres to the Bloodhound project earlier this year.
geoffash26 10 2.5k United Kingdom
5 Nov 2012 7:44PM
Thats not goodSad
Bridgelayer 7 568 United Kingdom
7 Nov 2012 3:49PM
I was with the RE's at Waterbeach during the 70's and was sent out to do a recovery on a Vulcan from Coningsby.

It went out over the North Sea, developed engine trouble and turned round. All the crew bailed out, pilot last, and then in she went, almost vertically, into a field near Spilsby. Full fuel tanks and god knows what speed left a hole and a half for us to get the bits out. Worrabloodymess! We'd had 6 weeks of rain and with all the heaved soil even the Hymac was sinking. Unfortunately, no photo's. Last items removed for the Snowdrops were the ECM's which were fitted in the tail section! (These came out after the instrument panel!)

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.