Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Could we have exhibitions?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

ketch
ketch e2 Member 6770 forum postsketch vcard Turks and Caicos Islands50 Constructive Critique Points
1 Sep 2008 - 2:57 PM

Just an idea - probably completely unworkable but - do you think it would be possible to have exhibitions - say a number of togs putting together a multi-gallery. This could then be judged overall. Could be themed say something like 'Maritime' (of course we don't have maritime do we) or whatever. The exhibitors organise themselves into their groups (I guess they invite others to contribute?).

Could be restricted to a maximum number of images/contributors.

Would it work or should this idea be put very quickly out of its misery?

Best wishes

Robert

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
1 Sep 2008 - 2:57 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

agoreira
agoreira  106001 forum posts Wales
1 Sep 2008 - 3:08 PM

I think someone here did organise something similar a couple of years ago???????? East Coast way? Someone here will remember, I vaguely remember seeing some photos of the exhibition here. A lot of work involved, but it's doable, I guess.

Overread
Overread  63746 forum posts England18 Constructive Critique Points
1 Sep 2008 - 3:10 PM

A lot of newer photographers - without much/any publicity - would jump at the chance for this sort of event and it would be a great way to bring the community together.
Tricky to get together and also on acceptace - will it be just anyone with a printer and camera or will you set some sort of appliaction and minimum standards up - not to be elitist, but to assure that a certain level of quality is met.
Further it might be an idea to broaden its appeal is if a local (to the event) photographer with a good printer and some printing skills could be on site (for site members only) to allow some guidance for printing off photos - since this area is one that I feel a lot of digital photographers don't do due to a lack of kit and understandings --

joolsb
joolsb  927115 forum posts Switzerland38 Constructive Critique Points
1 Sep 2008 - 3:11 PM

Not sure if Robert means an actual physical exhibition or just the facility to put on a virtual exhibition on this site....

Last Modified By joolsb at 1 Sep 2008 - 3:12 PM
lobsterboy
lobsterboy Site Moderator 1014019 forum postslobsterboy vcard United Kingdom13 Constructive Critique Points
1 Sep 2008 - 3:11 PM

Yes we had an exhibition in Harlow Library. The virtual exhibition is still online here.

The original organizing thread is here.

MikeRC
MikeRC e2 Member 93488 forum postsMikeRC vcard United Kingdom
1 Sep 2008 - 3:56 PM

Quote: Not sure if Robert means an actual physical exhibition or just the facility to put on a virtual exhibition on this site....

....Yea....that's what I thought he meant :

Pete
Pete Site Moderator 1318433 forum postsPete vcard ePz Advertiser England96 Constructive Critique Points
1 Sep 2008 - 4:13 PM

If it's about having virtual exhibitions I like that idea and, rarely, it's an idea/suggestion that we hadn't thought of. Nice one: -)
We can build it in a similar way to the Members Meetings are where people can join the exhibition and post into it.

ketch
ketch e2 Member 6770 forum postsketch vcard Turks and Caicos Islands50 Constructive Critique Points
1 Sep 2008 - 4:18 PM

Hi back again - somebody has to do some work around here!! - Actually I had in mind a virtual exhibition - because sometimes the uploading and stuff you do behind the scenes is a bit isolating - but to plan and execute and exhibition with say four of five others and then to post it could be really quite exciting. So I guess virtual exhibition encouraging small groups to set up a theme and pull the thing together.

Happy to be a gunine pig if anyone else is interested.

Best wishes

Robert

Overread
1 Sep 2008 - 4:38 PM

I'll put my name down - though I have no idea if I have anything "worthy" of an exhibition. Possibly only my macro shots at the moment are up to scratch - though mammals and birds are a keen interest of mine, I have fewer chances and few really good shots of them (of which most are in my portfolio)

Kris_Dutson
1 Sep 2008 - 4:41 PM

Sounds quite fun. Smile

ketch
1 Sep 2008 - 6:41 PM

Is this a runner then? and what should we do next?

Robert

Pete
Pete Site Moderator 1318433 forum postsPete vcard ePz Advertiser England96 Constructive Critique Points
1 Sep 2008 - 6:49 PM

Quote: Is this a runner then? and what should we do next?

Start thinking about what you would need for it to work and submit a suggestion via the report system. We have added it to our list of ideas any suggestions about how it should work will be added too. My thinking is keep it simple. You start an exhibition theme and have an invite system so that you can allow your group of members to collectively create an exhibition.

One would take lead, create the exhibition point with a few words about the group and the exhibition, and the others would upload to it. For example, Derbyshire Folly exhibition may include several people who you've met up with and know have great images of Follies that you'd like to showcase as a group. Similar to the way the members Meetings Works now only it would have restricted access.

The exhibition would then have a neat display feature to make it look different to the normal gallery, maybe a slide show mode which we are still in the process of adding. You could then invite friends, members and press to view your exhibition.

Overread
1 Sep 2008 - 6:51 PM

Well first off your going to need two key things

1) a site to upload to or a section of epz -- either way it needs to be a good stable site with decent capacity for photographs. (attached to that is a licence agreement for those submitting photos)

2) a person to run the event and decide who does and does not get to participate - though you might wish to a totally free entry I think it better if some filtering is done - even if its just to allow the first 10 people (or however many you wish) on a first come first in basis.

Kris_Dutson
1 Sep 2008 - 6:53 PM

Any of the Dorset crew fancy a Portland exhibition then?

I reckon we've got a few good'uns we could put in.

Smile

Last Modified By Kris_Dutson at 1 Sep 2008 - 6:54 PM
pennyspike
pennyspike  112068 forum posts United Kingdom29 Constructive Critique Points
1 Sep 2008 - 7:44 PM

Quote: Any of the Dorset crew fancy a Portland exhibition then?

I reckon we've got a few good'uns we could put in.

If so
I hope you'll all be entering some in the Portland Heritage Trust Exhibition in October and they don't all have to be taken on Portland.Smile

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.