Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Council Elections

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

collywobles
5 May 2012 - 9:56 AM

Now that the results are in its clear that the Tories have taken a beating, and I think the only people who are surprised are the Tories. I can only hope that this bloodied nose just makes them sit up and think about what the real people (those who go to work and pay taxes) in this country go through - unlike two toffee nosed public schoolboys who dont know the price of a pint of milk (apologies to Nadine Dorries for nicking her quote)
Having said that though, the last thing I want to see is another money wasting Labour Government.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
5 May 2012 - 9:56 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Ewanneil
Ewanneil  41118 forum posts Scotland2 Constructive Critique Points
5 May 2012 - 10:18 AM

I've just heard the Home Secretary saying, on BBC news, that they are going to carry on regardless.

pcheywood
pcheywood  91300 forum posts England
5 May 2012 - 10:53 AM

The folk of this country have the collective political memory of goldfish (and that may be insulting to goldfish).

answersonapostcard
answersonapostcard Site Moderator 1012606 forum postsanswersonapostcard vcard United Kingdom15 Constructive Critique Points
5 May 2012 - 11:02 AM

not much of a turn out was there, wasnt it on average about 25%.
I guess we'll get to see how things pan out now Labour are in control of most local councils, might need to buckle those seatbelts Grin

Eastlands
Eastlands e2 Member 3650 forum postsEastlands vcard Northern Ireland3 Constructive Critique Points
5 May 2012 - 11:03 AM

At least the good folk of London have a sense of humour,re-electing Boris is an ace move.

pcheywood
pcheywood  91300 forum posts England
5 May 2012 - 11:11 AM

Quote: At least the good folk of London have a sense of humour,re-electing Boris is an ace move.

Best of a bad choice really. It's hard to believe how many actually voted for Ken though ?

collywobles
5 May 2012 - 11:29 AM

Quote: carry on regardless.

Yeah that sounds about right, staring Barbara Windsor, Syd James, Kenneth Williams, The Tory Government.........

Quote: not much of a turn out was there, wasnt it on average about 25%.

...... and thats why we get the Governments we do! If the public put as much effort into thinking about voting as they do about bitchin n moaning about them, maybe just maybe we would get better governments.

Last Modified By collywobles at 5 May 2012 - 11:34 AM
thewilliam
5 May 2012 - 11:36 AM

Don't worry, "our people" in the banks are still getting their bonuses and the top tax rate is nearly back to an "acceptable" level.

We pensioners don't really mind that our tax position is steadily worsening or that Quantitive Easing has seriously weakened the value of our pension funds. We know that it's all in a good cause!

collywobles
5 May 2012 - 12:00 PM

Quote: We pensioners don't really mind that our tax position is steadily worsening or that Quantitive Easing has seriously weakened the value of our pension funds. We know that it's all in a good cause!

I am not supporting this government BUT! - You have had the largest ever increase in OAP in history, the tax threshhold has been increased to 8105 - (10,500 for over 65) . Mortgage rates are at their lowest almost in history, so its not all bad news hence my comment about "bitchin n moaning". Yes inflation is hitting us but it hits everyone, and times are truly hard with the defecit that has to be recovered.

gcarth
gcarth e2 Member 102290 forum postsgcarth vcard United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
5 May 2012 - 12:07 PM

Quote: Having said that though, the last thing I want to see is another money wasting Labour Government.

I agree with that, Colin.

Quote: ...... and thats why we get the Governments we do! If the public put as much effort into thinking about voting as they do about bitchin n moaning about them, maybe just maybe we would get better governments.

I would agree with that - as long as they all vote for the Greens!Wink.
Seriously, I agree that bitchin' 'n' moaning is not a good thing without some kind of follow up action; However, I think that people moan because they are frustrated that there is so little to choose between the main parties because the media tend to help the political parties to channel the debate into very narrow constraints (the media being mainly Tory or New Labour leaning). SadSmile

polis_928tadw59

Election for local councillors ? Of the 4 candidates in our ward of the town, only 2 lived within the town. Some local councillors are drawing more money in a year than a lot of people who are working full time. Elected Mayors ? - I see most places have given it the thumbs down, and rightly so. What happened re that town in the North West [might have been Wallasey]where a man convicted of serious crime was standing for leader or whatever, and he did not even reside within the town, borough.

monstersnowman

It was going to happen no matter who won the last ... if Labour had held on they would have had to play the bad man and make terrible cuts and they would have been bitten and vice versa. I said it well before the last election and it will be confirmed at the next. We are as fickle as we are expected to be. The last election was, as I described it, a poisoned chalice and any party in power would undoubtedly suffer from the back-lash of any cuts for years to come in terms of popularity. No surprises - the only surprise being that some people actually didnt expect it. The trouble is that putting the bad cuts aside the rightful cuts will still engender bitterness with the people they affect and other sympathetic people. My friend is on long term disability yet we both know he is able to work yet he is furious that he has had his disability benefits cut and he is complaining that he has been cut adrift and treated appallingly whereas in reality he has been released back into the cold hard world of reality and work that he should have been in a long time ago and it is a bit of a shock. We both know it but it doesnt stop him being very bitter. There will be many like him and also many who are rightfully bitter - put together they spell bad news for whichever party may be in power. The Labour party do however claim the position of moral superiority where they absolve themselves of responsibility and claim every cut is the wrong way to go and that they wouldnt do it this or that way without ever having to say how they would do it. I watched a Labour MP spend minutes continuously avoiding saying if he would undo the harsh cuts that he bitterly criticised when they get in power - needless to say he wouldnt answer LOL ... They are all a bunch of lying, no good, manipulative, deceitful, self-interested ... well ... they are politicians :o)

janeez
janeez e2 Member 61195 forum postsjaneez vcard United Kingdom8 Constructive Critique Points
5 May 2012 - 1:55 PM

My husband is a local councillor and they do not get paid. My husband gets about 50.00 per month for expenses and that is it! He goes to meetings twice a week and attends all public council functions. We pay for everything else. He is there as a public servant and it is all goodwill. Don't confuse local councillors with district or county councillors.

janeez
janeez e2 Member 61195 forum postsjaneez vcard United Kingdom8 Constructive Critique Points
5 May 2012 - 2:03 PM

The other problem we have at the moment is this slash and burn policy. If you take down the infrastructure it is infinitely more difficult and expensive to put it back and so very unlikely to happen. This in itself causes problems with growth in the economy leading in the end to a double dip recession. This governments policy has done nothing to aid the recovery and have now admitted they have made a mistake. The best economists in the land advised them against this strategy but they carried on regardless and it will take years to haul ourselves out of this mess.

monstersnowman

Quote: The other problem we have at the moment is this slash and burn policy. If you take down the infrastructure it is infinitely more difficult and expensive to put it back and so very unlikely to happen. This in itself causes problems with growth in the economy leading in the end to a double dip recession. This governments policy has done nothing to aid the recovery and have now admitted they have made a mistake. The best economists in the land advised them against this strategy but they carried on regardless and it will take years to haul ourselves out of this mess.

You are probably right but I think one aim of this government, rightly or wrongly, was to dismantle a very large, unwieldy and incredibly expensive system that supported people that did need support and many that didnt, it was top heavy in administration and with our ageing population was unaffordable. They have sought to cut an unimaginably huge inherited deficit in quick time - maybe not the best policy but we dont know what the other half would have done to deal with their own mess or indeed if the slower more measured policy with a slower reduction in the national debt would have been any less damaging in the long run. They wont even say they will backtrack on the drastic measures they criticise. That to me is duplicitous and politically opportunist. But that is only what we expect.

P.S. My questioning of the character of politicians was aimed at MP's - I really have little knowledge of the workings of local government to comment on them.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.