Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Counterfeit batteries from Amazon sellers

Little Jo e2
13 2.3k United Kingdom
13 Jul 2013 7:57PM
Just wanted to share a recent experience - had a 5D MkII and the original batteries were at the end of their useful life, then traded my existing cameras for a MkIII. In the last two months, I purchased 3 LP-E6 batteries via the Amazon website. The orders were 'Fulfilled by Amazon' but the sources of the batteries were Amazon sellers. All three turned out to be counterfeit - sold as genuine batteries from Canon, but they weren't. I had them inspected at the Elstree Service Centre on Wednesday. I should confirm that Amazon have ensured that I'm not out-of-pocket and the second seller has already processed my refund. BUT, if you have an expensive Canon DSLR, beware - there are a load of fake Canon batteries (I'm not referring to batteries sold as compatibles) out there. They are good fakes too - you need to know what to look for to spot them.

I'm sticking with WEX/Speed Graphic and reputable companies from now on, even if they are more expensive.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

13 Jul 2013 8:11PM
Shocking that people feel the need to dupe people into thinking something is genuine just for the sake of a quick buck. The Canon batteries are generally not that expensive in the grand scheme of the rest of your camera equipment but i suppose if they sell enough of them it makes it worth their while. Glad you brought that to our attention. It just shows you that even a big retailer like Amazon can be hoodwinked.
thewilliam e2
6 4.9k
13 Jul 2013 8:58PM
Can a huge organisation like Amazon be expected to check out every retailer that trades under their banner? Sometimes a merchant starts off honest but starts to cut corners!
Paul Morgan e2
13 16.1k 6 England
13 Jul 2013 9:05PM
Amazon sellers are not Amazon.
13 Jul 2013 9:09PM
No i don't think they can be expected to check out every retailer. They just have to trust the merchant but the problem is that it can look bad for Amazon, which is a shame cause it's not their fault.
Little Jo e2
13 2.3k United Kingdom
13 Jul 2013 11:26PM
It's more galling when Amazon themselves are one of Canon's authorised online retailers, but try searching on LP-E6 and Amazon's own price is not top of the list.
RayBeck e2
9 16 United Kingdom
14 Jul 2013 8:34AM
And for the record I had the same experience with a Sony battery that was supposedly genuine but failed to work with the camera at all.
14 Jul 2013 11:17AM

Quote:Just wanted to share a recent experience - had a 5D MkII and the original batteries were at the end of their useful life, then traded my existing cameras for a MkIII. In the last two months, I purchased 3 LP-E6 batteries via the Amazon website. The orders were 'Fulfilled by Amazon' but the sources of the batteries were Amazon sellers. All three turned out to be counterfeit - sold as genuine batteries from Canon, but they weren't. I had them inspected at the Elstree Service Centre on Wednesday. I should confirm that Amazon have ensured that I'm not out-of-pocket and the second seller has already processed my refund. BUT, if you have an expensive Canon DSLR, beware - there are a load of fake Canon batteries (I'm not referring to batteries sold as compatibles) out there. They are good fakes too - you need to know what to look for to spot them.

I'm sticking with WEX/Speed Graphic and reputable companies from now on, even if they are more expensive.

I hope you filled out the "Review" section to inform future potential purchasers about the problem. I did with Nikon.
Gundog e2
1 624 Scotland
14 Jul 2013 11:20AM
Like eBay, Amazon provide a conduit whereby unscrupulous cowboys can get counterfeit goods to market under a thin cloak of respectability.

As always when buying anything online, Caveat Emptor.

There are some very reputable companies on the web and there are some amazing bargains to be obtained. But you do have to be savvy.
14 Jul 2013 6:43PM
Faced with the same dilemma, but many of the reviews on Amazon warn one about poor quality products. So the question then becomes, if you want to use an alternate make of battery for a 5D mk II, which ones have been good for users.
I have a mallory brand for my Canon G12. Does not last as long as the Canon original, but was a fraction of the price.
Also concerned that a non-Canon brand might have the potential for damage to Camera, or is that just paranoia?
Gundog e2
1 624 Scotland
14 Jul 2013 6:55PM
Can't speak about Canons, but I have used genuine third-party batteries in a variety of Nikons and they have always been trouble-free.

I think the lesson is that, rather than buy counterfeit "genuine" OED stuff from dodgy cowboys, it is better to save money by buying genuine "clones" from reputable retailers. 7-day Shop and Premier Inks spring immediately to mind.
Railcam e2
8 484 Scotland
15 Jul 2013 11:40AM
Calumet also does a range under its own name. They should be safe and cheaper than the camera manufacturers' own.
Hugo e2
9 647 United Kingdom
15 Jul 2013 11:43AM
Like eBay I would assume all batteries and cards sold by 3rd party sellers are fake...
Unless they are from one of the mega sellers - Digital_rev, HKBS etc...
Cam_D e2
10 59 United Kingdom
22 Jul 2013 1:06PM

Quote:
Unless they are from one of the mega sellers - Digital_rev, HKBS etc...

Maybe I'm more pessimistic, I think any battery coming from Hong Kong has a good chance of being fake, no matter the retailer.
StrayCat e2
10 15.5k 2 Canada
23 Jul 2013 1:12AM
I've never had any problem with cheap batteries from Hong Kong. If the seller has a good rating, why would they screw it up by selling garbage?

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.