Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Country File Calendar.

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

User_Removed
12 Sep 2011 - 11:17 AM

Quote: Ok so which shot did you vote for and why?

Nobody has given their reasons why yet.
I'm trying to find out what makes you tick as a photographer.
So you like this, that and the other but WHY?

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
12 Sep 2011 - 11:17 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Pete
Pete Site Moderator 1318430 forum postsPete vcard ePz Advertiser England96 Constructive Critique Points
12 Sep 2011 - 11:22 AM

Compared with what's been in previous years I think this year's shortlist is weak. I don't see one that's outstanding and surely with 55k entries there were a few that were to a similar standard to what ePHOTOzine nature photographers are producing?

joolsb
joolsb  927115 forum posts Switzerland38 Constructive Critique Points
12 Sep 2011 - 11:28 AM

Quote: Compared with what's been in previous years I think this year's shortlist is weak.

I was thinking precisely the opposite. It's good to see fewer 'cute critters' this year and a couple of more creative landscapes. In previous years it's been a case of 'spot the token landscape' in amongst all the cuddly animals...

Last Modified By joolsb at 12 Sep 2011 - 11:29 AM
Terry L
Terry L e2 Member 10571 forum postsTerry L vcard England5 Constructive Critique Points
12 Sep 2011 - 11:40 AM

The Fox in Snow image is by Matt Binstead, the Head Keeper at the British Wildlife Centre. His portfolio is here Sweetmart

Last Modified By Terry L at 12 Sep 2011 - 11:42 AM
Pete
Pete Site Moderator 1318430 forum postsPete vcard ePz Advertiser England96 Constructive Critique Points
12 Sep 2011 - 11:52 AM

It's very good Terry, as are many of the others - but is it really the best work this country can produce? I guess I've been spoilt looking at some of the wildlife and landscapes posted on here over the years, from amateurs.

Last Modified By Pete at 12 Sep 2011 - 11:52 AM
Terry L
Terry L e2 Member 10571 forum postsTerry L vcard England5 Constructive Critique Points
12 Sep 2011 - 12:04 PM

I have to agree with you Pete, it just depends on whether some of those people took time to enter the competition.

keithh
keithh  1022734 forum posts Wallis and Futuna29 Constructive Critique Points
12 Sep 2011 - 12:31 PM

Canal Boat for me - it was the only one I can remember wanting to see for a bit longer on the telly.

justin c
justin c  104510 forum posts England36 Constructive Critique Points
12 Sep 2011 - 12:37 PM

Winter Weasel for me.

Lynx08
Lynx08 e2 Member 61223 forum postsLynx08 vcard England
12 Sep 2011 - 12:48 PM

Quote: Nobody has given their reasons why yet.

I like the weasel one because of the sharpness of the animal and the detail in the snow too and the whole image is bright but not over exposed. The tractor one has great impact with those huge trees dominating the image.

That's my thoughts on them but it would be interesting to hear others.

Lyn

dormay
dormay  4
12 Sep 2011 - 12:57 PM

Winter fox for me. I like the simplicity. Second the flower meadow.

dcash29
dcash29  81887 forum posts England
12 Sep 2011 - 1:04 PM

Quote: Compared with what's been in previous years I think this year's shortlist is weak

I bet there were stronger shots in the last 3000 shortlist.

Whats all the fuss with the tractor shot?

Platchet
Platchet  7 Wales8 Constructive Critique Points
12 Sep 2011 - 1:31 PM

I liked the flower meadow for its artistic appeal and the tractor in the trees was a bit special as a countryside image.

Wish I'd put a Black and White version of my Old Man of Storr landscape in though as JSP said she wanted a BW image in the calendar. My print was balancing at the edge of the table but didn't get discussed, I'm still pleased its made the calendar though, albeit a smaller image..Smile

Gaz

User_Removed
12 Sep 2011 - 2:06 PM

Quote: Compared with what's been in previous years I think this year's shortlist is weak. I don't see one that's outstanding and surely with 55k entries there were a few that were to a similar standard to what ePHOTOzine nature photographers are producing?

I was thinking the very same thing last night Pete.
The seection wasn't bad but with 55,000 images entered, it was a poor show.
I too have seen better or as good as on here.

Anyway, the whole idea of this thread was to find out why you chose what you chose. I wait with bated breath................Wink

JJGEE
JJGEE  96207 forum posts England18 Constructive Critique Points
12 Sep 2011 - 2:42 PM

Quote: it was a poor show.

How do you know it was a poor show ?
Have you seen all 55,000 entries ?

Admittedly there appears to be a range of quality across the 12 selected class winners this time round, but to call it a poor show is rather unjust.

keithh
keithh  1022734 forum posts Wallis and Futuna29 Constructive Critique Points
12 Sep 2011 - 3:18 PM

We can only imagine how many images of Glencoe and Red Squirrels they received.

Much like the EC and GE awards are based to a certain (large) extent on personal choice then we can't criticise when other awards are based upon the same.

I'm veering towards the weasel having looked at them all properly now although I am taken with the (Dales?) landscape, its not a cover shot.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.