Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Country File Calendar.

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

SlowSong
SlowSong e2 Member 54209 forum postsSlowSong vcard England28 Constructive Critique Points
12 Sep 2011 - 3:29 PM

My reasons for like the weasel are the same as yours Laurel. It's something hardly ever seen like this, and it's a good sharp shot against that crisp snow. Spot on exposure. (and it's got the Ahhh Factor).

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
12 Sep 2011 - 3:29 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Ade_Osman
Ade_Osman e2 Member 114484 forum postsAde_Osman vcard England36 Constructive Critique Points
12 Sep 2011 - 3:48 PM

I blame Cheryl......She threw out all the good images!!!.......I'm now gonna hide and wait for the inevitable barrage of abuse from Derbyshire Grin

Ade

WhiteRose1
WhiteRose1 e2 Member 41028 forum postsWhiteRose1 vcard England133 Constructive Critique Points
12 Sep 2011 - 4:44 PM

Quote: You havent looked at the contest properly JJGEE ... the title is 'Best In Show' but there are 12 'themes' ...
The Country File Website now has more details about the competition and all the 12 images, so perhaps the Theme was misleading, should have read Best in Class ?

So, they image that in my mind is the best interpretation of the Theme " Best In show" has to be "By Hook Or By Crook"

I think it was a typo error and should have read "Best In Snow" - a toss up between the Weasel and the Fox.

I do agree with SlowSong - there are many images on here that could have made the final.

Dave

JJGEE
JJGEE  96216 forum posts England18 Constructive Critique Points
12 Sep 2011 - 5:06 PM

Quote: I think it was a typo error and should have read "Best In Snow"

Now I am really confused ! !

If that is the case, how on earth can an image of an heavy horse on a towpath pulling a narrowboat along a canal be interpreted as "Best In Snow" ?

csurry
csurry  129230 forum posts92 Constructive Critique Points
12 Sep 2011 - 5:13 PM

In the end the final selection is down to the three main judges.

As with all competitions something has to click with the person viewing it. And as always it is highly subjective.

I saw some great images that personally I would put above some of the final selection but that will always be the case. One of the main problems we encountered was great images that were simply entered in the wrong category.

Cows and sheep are not working animals. Well only working their way towards the butchers slab.

And the reason there have been few landscapes in the last couple of years would be down to the competition title encouraging more narrow focus. This year they tried to broaden the categories but only the viewers and entrants can determine if that was more successful.

Ade_Osman
Ade_Osman e2 Member 114484 forum postsAde_Osman vcard England36 Constructive Critique Points
12 Sep 2011 - 7:19 PM

No abuse, I must be slipping up!......Either that or you're just showing me the contempt I so deserved....Tongue

Ade

Overread
Overread  63746 forum posts England18 Constructive Critique Points
12 Sep 2011 - 7:28 PM

Quote:
I think it was a typo error and should have read "Best In Snow" - a toss up between the Weasel and the Fox.

Agreed!

csurry
12 Sep 2011 - 7:29 PM

Tired Ade. Too tired to rise to the bait Grin

Ade_Osman
12 Sep 2011 - 7:31 PM

Heard you've been grafting hard, hence the reason you haven't been posting.....Hope all's well, pass regards onto your Mother BTW.

Ade Smile

csurry
12 Sep 2011 - 7:40 PM

Will do.

Ditto regards to Sue.

Yeah been a bit busy. Including the only weekend I had off in 5 I ended up doing the judging for this. Which is actually 9 hours of hard work! Rewarding but hard work.

I hope people remember the point is the calendar and children in need, not so much the competition. Part of the selection criteria of the main judges has to be would people be happy looking at this image for a month. That should be a sobering thought to the hundreds of people that sent in shots of sparrowhawks on various prey!

Ade_Osman
12 Sep 2011 - 7:47 PM

Quote: That should be a sobering thought to the hundreds of people that sent in shots of sparrowhawks on various prey!

LOL......Can't really comment on this other than to say I didn't enter the competition (reasons I won't go into on here) ........If it raises money for CIN, well that's all well and good as far as I'm concerned.

Sounds like you need a holiday I dunno about anything else Smile

Ade

thewilliam
12 Sep 2011 - 7:57 PM

Nobody's commented on whether the BBC has done a rights grab with this competition.

With a premium-rate phone number for voting, they'll make a lot more than the measly 1k that they're giving away for the first prize. Then if the BBC is able to sell the winning images through libraries ....

ShaneG
ShaneG  2 United Kingdom
12 Sep 2011 - 8:01 PM

For me personally its a two horse race between the medow and the tractor. Two very different photos but think the tractor just wins it, its striking! Does anyone know where this was taken?

MeanGreeny
12 Sep 2011 - 8:06 PM

Quote: Does anyone know where this was taken?

Stranocum, SE of Bushmills in N. Ireland.

Just look for the tripod holes Wink

ShaneG
ShaneG  2 United Kingdom
12 Sep 2011 - 8:16 PM

Thank you MeanGreeny. I have seen a number of shots of these trees in my time but never knew where they were. Mystery solved Smile

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.