Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

CR2 RAW Files and CS3

sarmour 8 81 Scotland
14 Apr 2009 7:37PM
I normally use CS3 no problem with my own Nikon RAW files but a friend has asked me to do some processing on a file from his Canon (5D I think - it's new and he can't work it in manual!!!). It is a .CR2 file and photoshop says it cannot complete my request because it is not the right type of file.

Is there anything I or my friend should do to get it to work?

Thanks

Stuart

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

miptog 9 3.5k 61 United Kingdom
14 Apr 2009 7:46PM
CS3 should be able to read the Canon 5D RAW file.
Briwooly 9 452 5 England
14 Apr 2009 7:58PM
You need to update the camera raw plugin to v4.6. Here is a link that will help you Adobe Camera Raw v4.6

Brian...............................
Little Jo e2
13 2.3k United Kingdom
14 Apr 2009 9:18PM
If it's a 5D MkII, CS4 will be required unless you convert the file to DNG format first.

Jo
sarmour 8 81 Scotland
15 Apr 2009 8:55AM
I have checked...It is the MkII. Is it easy to convert to DNG? (I am at work at the moment so don't have access to CS3 to try it)

Stuart
strawman 11 22.0k 16 United Kingdom
15 Apr 2009 9:16AM
Just use DPP, it is a better RAW converter anyway.
sarmour 8 81 Scotland
15 Apr 2009 11:44AM
can I download DPP? As I am a Nikon user I dont have DPP on my pc...
15 Apr 2009 11:59AM
A 5D MKII will ship with it. To my knowledge you will need one of the original CD's for a Canon camera, after that you can download the latest update.
sarmour 8 81 Scotland
15 Apr 2009 12:12PM
Thanks, I'll see if I can get a copy of the cd from my friend. Failing that, he'll need to convert it to jpeg for me
15 Apr 2009 12:21PM
Capture 1 let you have @ 15 days free trial, as does lightroom I think.
john64 e2
10 824 England
15 Apr 2009 2:12PM
Let me get this straight:

Your friend cannot work a camera in 'Manual' and is asking someone else to do his processing for him, yet he's out buying a 5D MkII ???

Some people have more money than sense. Maybe he'd like to swap it for my wife's little point and shoot ? Wink
loweskid 13 2.0k 1 United Kingdom
15 Apr 2009 2:34PM

Quote:Is it easy to convert to DNG?

Yes. The converter comes with Adobe Camera Raw - see the link above. Once installed just select the folder where the raw files are and click the 'convert' button. It will batch convert the lot in one go and only takes a few seconds per file.
sarmour 8 81 Scotland
15 Apr 2009 3:04PM

Quote:Let me get this straight:

Your friend cannot work a camera in 'Manual' and is asking someone else to do his processing for him, yet he's out buying a 5D MkII ???

Some people have more money than sense. Maybe he'd like to swap it for my wife's little point and shoot ?

I nearly fell over when he told me. He actually makes money from taking photos. His next purchase is a mac pro but he can't find the tool to draw a straight line using PS!!!
sarmour 8 81 Scotland
15 Apr 2009 3:06PM

Quote:Quote:Is it easy to convert to DNG? Yes. The converter comes with Adobe Camera Raw - see the link above. Once installed just select the folder where the raw files are and click the 'convert' button. It will batch convert the lot in one go and only takes a few seconds per file.
Thanks. I have used Camera Raw before, just not for DNG files. I'll have a look tomorrow.
loweskid 13 2.0k 1 United Kingdom
15 Apr 2009 3:39PM
It is a separate stand-alone program but is installed at the same time as Camera Raw. In fact you may already have it on your system. On my system (XP Pro) it's installed in - 'C:\Program Files\Adobe\DNG Converter\Adobe DNG Converter.exe'
You may still need to get the latest version though.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.