Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

Crazy????

Ade_Osman e2
11 4.5k 36 England
18 Jan 2013 5:12PM
Just been having my daily peruse of the News section and saw the Orbis Ringflash What a bleeding con, 180 quid for something that contains no electronic components whatsoever and just utilises an ordinary conventional strobe with a bit of fancy plastic. Which slow-boat do they think I've just fallen off, you'd have to be crackers to part with that amount of money for 600g of plastic churned out in some sweatshop in China. But the real sad thing is, they are folk out there that will buy it......Well more fool them is all I can say!

They can hype it up as much as they like, but similar junk has been knocking around on the Internet for around 20 for years.......Why does the photographic industry think were all stupid idiots with over flowing wallets? Maybe it's just me or perhaps someone can justify the cost and the reasoning for me, but I really feel like this is insulting my integrity somewhat. 180 for a glorified bit of plastic, frig that, you can get a reasonable proper generic ring-flash for not much more, in fact less if you shop around a bit.

Rant over......I'm off to kick the cat, take a chill pill or two and calm down a little Wink

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

18 Jan 2013 5:23PM
oh shut up Tongue and leave the cat alone...Tongue only crazy people will buy it.
ikett e2
4 372 England
18 Jan 2013 5:41PM
I assume you don't want to buy one thenTongue
Ade_Osman e2
11 4.5k 36 England
18 Jan 2013 6:17PM

Quote:oh shut up and leave the cat alone... only crazy people will buy it.

Well that told me Sad

Quote:I assume you don't want to buy one then

err...No and can't think why anyone would at that price Tongue

Maybe I'm missing the point here, but I'm sure someone will put me straight.......I'm just fed up by companies claiming that you must have the latest all singing and dancing gadget, then charging you a fortune for something that turns out to be at best mediocre and at worst useless. Clever marketing it might be and I guess that what we pay for in the end. To put into some sort of perspective I've got a CCTV system here at home that not only watches over the wildlife in the garden but also keeps an eye on the house when were not in it. Total cost of which was just a few pennies more than the piece of plastic I'm complaining about here.......The world's going bonkers or is it just me? Tongue

Ade
18 Jan 2013 6:29PM
Ade it is no different than some of the other lighting modifiers for speedlights etc that they charge the earth for and to be honest most of them can be made for a few pence and people still buy them. No you ain't bonkers yet, but I will keep my reserve straight jacket for you, it's free to a good home..lol.
Ade_Osman e2
11 4.5k 36 England
18 Jan 2013 6:33PM

Quote: but I will keep my reserve straight jacket for you, it's free to a good home..lol.

I could do with a new one......Does it come in Super XXXL Fat Bas*** size Wink

Ade......Whose calmed down a little now, but only because I'm on a new prescription Wink
18 Jan 2013 6:35PM

Quote:I could do with a new one......Does it come in Super XXXL Fat Bas*** size Wink

Ade......Whose calmed down a little now, but only because I'm on a new prescription Wink

HEHEHEHEHE
User_Removed 5 4.6k 1 Scotland
18 Jan 2013 7:46PM
The phrase, "Do you think I came up the Clyde in a banana boat?" springs to mind.

But, mind you, when you see what some people will spend on Canon cameras (not me), Lee filters (me!!!) and single malt whisky (me again!), you realise that value for money is not always the main criterion.

Tongue

Edit: Apologies if the banana boat reference is considered racist. It is a well know Scottish phrase.
rambler e2
6 477 14 England
19 Jan 2013 10:39AM
As the founding, and only, member of the Banana Protection Society I wish to object most strongly to the magnificent Banana being sold down the river!
When will people realise the value of this most nutricious of fruits and stop wasting their hard earned cash on bits of plastic, I'm with you Ade.

Ken GrinWink
KevSB
10 1.5k 5 United Kingdom
19 Jan 2013 10:44AM

Quote:As the founding, and only, member of the Banana Protection Society I wish to object most strongly to the magnificent Banana being sold down the river!
When will people realise the value of this most nutricious of fruits and stop wasting their hard earned cash on bits of plastic, I'm with you Ade.

Ken GrinWink

As the founding and only member of the Banana Protection Society, I wanted to let you know that you have Enemys out there so be careful!
oldblokeh e2
3 925 United Kingdom
19 Jan 2013 10:53AM

Quote:As the founding, and only, member of the Banana Protection Society...

I'd have thought that there would have been a whole bunch of you Tongue
keithh e2
11 23.4k 33 Wallis And Futuna
19 Jan 2013 12:02PM
They're all bent anyway
rambler e2
6 477 14 England
19 Jan 2013 3:21PM
There used to be a bunch of us but it turned out most of them were rotters Tongue

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.